Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is this stuff corrosive?

Hi all,

Has anyone got a clue/experience on chinese 7.62x51 with a headstamp reading 96 CJ?

I know its 1996 produced but I cant seem to find anything concrete on whether or not its corrosive?

Will be running it in a saiga.

Any help is appreciated.

Banned

Default Re: Is this stuff corrosive?

As far as I know, corrosive ammunition only causes problems if the barrel is not cleaned after shooting. If you clean the barrel properly there should be no trouble.Edit: I just thought of something: the gasses of the ammunition gets blown into the piston action, leaving the corrosive residue to do their thing. Please check on this?

Not that I can tell, certainly nothing that a wipe down with oil after does not sort out. With a Saiga I would not worry in the least. If anything it seems to shoot cleaner than the 7.62 x 39 which seems to build up on the piston such that I always clean it out with a few rounds of S&B at the end.

So I was in such a rush I never cleaned my rifle yesterday after shooting about 20 rounds. Was afraid to see the worst today. But nothing had a spec of rust, barrel, piston and bolt was spotless. And my safe has no dehumidifier at the moment. So its safe to assume non corrisive, but will clean after a shoot anyway. Also just did the nail test. So we will see how it goes.

User

It's only a day.....

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kwagga32 View Post
    So I was in such a rush I never cleaned my rifle yesterday after shooting about 20 rounds. Was afraid to see the worst today. But nothing had a spec of rust, barrel, piston and bolt was spotless. And my safe has no dehumidifier at the moment. So its safe to assume non corrisive, but will clean after a shoot anyway. Also just did the nail test. So we will see how it goes.
    I do not think rust would be the primary or sole concern if they are corrosive. The affects we concerned about will manifest themselves after some time and not likely by the presentation of red rust.

Banned

I cannot think that any surplus corrosive ammo is still sold. I shot 303 ammo in 1972 that was non-corrosive.

"Commercial ammunition has been loaded with non-corrosive primers since World War II, and some prior to that. It was only the military who resisted changing over to non-corrosive priming compound until about 1953/54, though the .30 Carbine ammunition was loaded with non-corrosive priming from the very beginning. "

Banned

Drie, I am convinced some eastern Bloc countries still to this day make ammunition thats corrosive. There was a post on GS some 10 years ago that made me aware of this. AR, You, Messor, Myself Roach and some guys were on about it. I am almost sure it was you or AR that brought up the fact ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Drie, I am convinced some eastern Bloc countries still to this day make ammunition thats corrosive. There was a post on GS some 10 years ago that made me aware of this. AR, You, Messor, Myself Roach and some guys were on about it. I am almost sure it was you or AR that brought up the fact ?
    I have not been here that long, but I remember something along those lines.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have not been here that long, but I remember something along those lines.
    Ya long ago, the Pope was still just a Alter Boy back then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast