Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Hunting with Lappua scenar 139gr 6.5 Creedmoor

Scenars work just as well or bad as any other non-bonded cup-and-core hunting bullet like Sierra Gameking, Berger VLD Hunting and PMP soft point. They expand well enough, just doesn't have great weight retention. And, by all reports, doesn't do well on thick bone.

The bullets are swaged from the base to the tip. As the lead is not enough for the whole bullet, it leaves a hollow tip. The hollow tips collapse on impact and initiates expansion. There is no way they would just zip through a springbuck.

Military ball ammo are formed from the tip to the base. By design the tip is sealed. These bullets just zip through most game.

The attached photo is what the tip of a 155gr Scenar looks likeAttachment 32941

Banned

Maybe I should piss on the parade.

Average price and weight of an impala is about R1800 and 35Kg. For every kg of blood shot meat lost we are talking of R50. I therefore use a Barnes X bullet, that cost R25 per bullet and still save on my hunt when you use your target bullet to mince the shoulder of the animal. Normally you lose more than 1kg, so I score even more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Maybe I should piss on the parade.

Average price and weight of an impala is about R1800 and 35Kg. For every kg of blood shot meat lost we are talking of R50. I therefore use a Barnes X bullet, that cost R25 per bullet and still save on my hunt when you use your target bullet to mince the shoulder of the animal. Normally you lose more than 1kg, so I score even more.
    Not to mention the 18 kg one that you never found.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Scenars work just as well or bad as any other non-bonded cup-and-core hunting bullet like Sierra Gameking, Berger VLD Hunting and PMP soft point. They expand well enough, just doesn't have great weight retention. And, by all reports, doesn't do well on thick bone.

The bullets are swaged from the base to the tip. As the lead is not enough for the whole bullet, it leaves a hollow tip. The hollow tips collapse on impact and initiates expansion. There is no way they would just zip through a springbuck.

Military ball ammo are formed from the tip to the base. By design the tip is sealed. These bullets just zip through most game.

Yo boet, I hear what you trying to say, but that front sometimes folds over nicely and seals up like a FMJ.
    Other times it flattens and the lead follows and flattens. (this is what the pro usage boys refer to as "opens up")
    Other times it behaves just like any other boat tail cup and core, but only in the aspect of core separation.
    The lead used appears softer than cup/core hunting bullets to aid the bullet setting out in the barrel to aid accuracy. This does not aid bullet integrity nor penetration.
    Rapid uncontrolled expansion, may work well as a varminting bullet but will deliver rapid uncontrolled results in table game hunting.
    I saw a Kudu shot with a 7 mm ballistc tip type bullet, a Nosler I think it was (about 12 years ago)The kudu took the bullet full face frontal, pretty much between the nostrils as it looked up over the Noorsvelt cacti. Was at night and at maybe 25 m. The animal fell right there. We worked our way to it with difficulty due to spikes and took some time, when we got there we just had time to see a beautiful cow with face gone to basically under eyes(gone from eyes forward), struggle up and disappear. We tracked it farm to farm the next day, it must have taken a long time to die, a very long time.
    That bullet just grenaded.
    This particular kudu is a large part of why I am so vocal and do not care what you or he say, its not a hunting bullet. There have been other animals, quiet a few.

There is a differance (which has been discussed here on site 7/8 years ago) between deforming and mushrooming.(Yes it has to deform to mushroom - been discussed)

Lastly - I stand to be corrected here, bullets with their weight concentrated to the rear tend to tumble.
    Tumbling is not good for hunting purposes.

Simple question - why - why the ********** would you want to?. What are you proving, why? There are bullets designed for hunting, why do you want to use a bullet with a label telling you its for paper- targets.
    Just go buy a box of PMP and it will serve you well 99 % of the time.
    What logical reason can you give, perhaps its,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no, lets not go there.

User

I used to say the same thing, until I saw a few Scenar's fail to expand in game, amongst others a red hartebeest cow which I found a day after I shot her and a kilometer away from where she was shot. She had been shot perfectly through both lungs, the wound channel through the lungs were caliber sized with very little bruising around it.

There are target bullets that work well for open country hunting, the Lapua Scenar is, in my experience, not one of them.

User

From all the debates I have read the general consensus is that sometimes the cavity folds in onto itself, there is no lead there so the copper just seals off creating almost a flat like point. I believe this accounts for the bullet many times just acting like a solid, because it basically is a solid at that point in time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    From all the debates I have read the general consensus is that sometimes the cavity folds in onto itself, there is no lead there so the copper just seals off creating almost a flat like point. I believe this accounts for the bullet many times just acting like a solid, because it basically is a solid at that point in time.
    Correct, I had, may still have one lying about, surprisingly it only collapsed one side and and the other side bent half successfully over that side making a surfboard like bend and shape. Like a boat that hit a wall at a angle and bounced off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4