Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Hunting with Lappua scenar 139gr 6.5 Creedmoor

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Some would say 6.5Creedmore is not a suitable hunting caliber.
    Ya - there are some clever people out there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Some would say 6.5Creedmore is not a suitable hunting caliber.
    It isn't. The 6.5 Creedmoor on the other hand is an excellent hunting caliber.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It isn't. The 6.5 Creedmoor on the other hand is an excellent hunting caliber.
    I was waiting for Tstone

I think if we had to bet money on a kill, any average member with our hunting rifle or TStone with a 6.5CM and a monolithic GMX or Barnes my money for a safe bet would be on Tstone.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Scenars are match bullets, and Treeman is correct: no consideration was given to their terminal effect. Not sure who tries to sell them for hunting. They also have a reputation to punch through - https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....unting.121349/ - and there are much better choices for hunting.
    It depends solely on what are you hunting. A grouse, raccoon dog and fox die just fine when you punch a clean 6,5 mm hole to them with a supersonic projectile, but I wouldn't use hollow point target bullets when hunting large mammals.

A grouse killed by Lapua Scenar 139 gr bullet sent from my Sako 75 Hunter 6.5X55 SE. The range was 264 m and the kill area is about the size of a matchbox. Good luck hitting there with a .222 REM in the field. A bullet is a tool and tools have purposes.

User

Not going to advocate any choice, but on the subject, I suspect more than 99% of things are used outside of their original design specifications.
    If you go into someone's workshop, and work a day with them, then you see they use many tools for different jobs simply because it works, not because they are trying to be funny, it's called tricks of the trade.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Not going to advocate any choice, but on the subject, I suspect more than 99% of things are used outside of their original design specifications.
    If you go into someone's workshop, and work a day with them, then you see they use many tools for different jobs simply because it works, not because they are trying to be funny, it's called tricks of the trade.
    But when you see a guy using his vernier caliper to hit a nail in, well ? Same thing me thinks.

I’m more surprised that our tame(ish) Finn has a Swede. I thought the Finns detested them.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I’m more surprised that our tame(ish) Finn has a Swede. I thought the Finns detested them.
    I think it was one of his forefathers that said
    " keep your friends close
    keep your enemies closer"

User

We agree a bullet is a tool, and tools have purposes, AK. But the scenar is neither a hunting tool, nor intended for it. Of course it can kill, though. (Half bricks also do.)
    As to killing a poor little bird far, far away: did the swede make you do it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    As to killing a poor little bird far, far away: did the swede make you do it?
    Grouse hunting is very popular in Finland and the birds are a perfect ingredient for a delicious meal. The Swedes have two things of which one could be envious about: an excellent medium size all-around hunting and sniper cartridge and a neighbouring country with fiercely fighting warriors as a hard to cross buffer zone between them and the Crazy Ivan

I can't kill a bird with half a brick from distances over 250 meters, so I have to use precision rifles and superior target grade ammunition to hit such a small kill area. You do understand that people are killed professionally with hollow point high SD non-hunting target ammunition all the time, right now as you read this text? Do the targets complain? Nope, they just die. A free man can argue whatever he wants and may vindicate his views with theories or hearsay, but I speak from real life experience when I tell that none of the living beings I've killed with the Scenar have ever made a complaint I killed them wrong.

I would never shoot an elk or a deer with any tactical/sport bullet. Use you wit and make your choice according to the task at hand. Blanket statements should be hidden under one and just kept there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast