Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Hunting with Lappua scenar 139gr 6.5 Creedmoor

Well, I stand corrected then. As a blanket statement that there are better choices for hunting than the scenar, there is the application to shoot birds with it. And raccoons. And foxes. And people. If shot from far, far away, there will be no complaints, OP! (Grin.)

Banned

Shit bullet for hunting.
    Period.

User

AJR, a perfect summary!

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Shit bullet for hunting.
    Period.
    Who gave you the mandate to judge the final truth? "Period?" Really? If it works it works even if learning about it makes you hurt your feelings. Sorry about that, not my intention at all. And I still keep on hunting with that 'shit bullet' because it never fails to kill my prey Full stop.

User

AK, I also have no problem with people using them for hunting.
    I knew professional cullers that shot thousands of animals per year, and if they had to take a body shot these “target” bullets never failed them.

But I think for clarity sake, this topic is not only about personal choice but also what we advocate, and we really don’t need newcomers to read that they can use these bullets for hunting, we need them to use bullets designed for hunting.

Old, experienced guys like you, it will sound funny but you will get my point, your view on this matter is irrelevant, you are too experienced :)

User

I do get your point and it seems fair.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    AK, I also have no problem with people using them for hunting.
    I knew professional cullers that shot thousands of animals per year, .................................................. ..............

But I think for clarity sake, this topic is not only about personal choice but also what we advocate, and we really don’t need newcomers to read that they can use these bullets for hunting, we need them to use bullets designed for hunting.

Absolutely precisely.
    Is culling and cullers shooting hunting? - No.
    Is shooting birds at long range (specific application to a very specific need) by a long range capable person hunting? - No. ( and yes for the specifically qualified person it likely is)
    Is a 12G shot gun a suitable hunting weapon? - No. Makes a fine birding gun though.
    Someone (AK) will have to bring up that they use a 12 G to hunt ostrich( partridge) from a quad bike(300 m) for head shots (small kill zone) therefore the 12 G is a good hunting weapon.

My one farmer hunts everything with a.243 Win and brown Box PMP, every year he shoots his Kudu free hand with his .243. We have argued and I have had to shut up in the end, I hear its not the bullet, its not the caliber its shot placement - freehand mate.
    First two years he shot a kudu each season the following 5 years he has wounded 7 that we have not recovered. The coverall statement is that it happens in hunting, "you never wounded a animal treeman?"
    I have seen some of his hits, any 150 gr + bullet would have dropped the Kudu we never found.

The Lappua Scenar like the 303 FMJ mil bullet may have killed thousands of game animals but neither are good hunting bullets.

​original question
    Hunting with Lappua scenar 139gr 6.5 Creedmoor

Is this any good for hunting ? No, it is not a good hunting bullet. Though you can use it, for like you could use a 303 FMJ which shot millions of head of game.
    What would it be good for if yes ? - answer was no, but yes you can shoot little birds with it. If you shooting long range, it becomes particularly suitable due to it being more accurate (I hear) than what ever else you are shooting so accurately.

AK Gunner shoots partridge with them, from this example we can gather it will also be a good bullet for general hunting of Kudu, Eland and Impala, perhaps Moose Elk and Brown bear that side of world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    I do get your point and it seems fair.
    Yes

User

The basic problem here is that you seem to have your own definition for the word 'hunting'. I prefer the explanation from the Cambridge English dictionary:

Hunting
    noun
    uk

chasing and killing an animal or bird for food, sport, or profit.

That's it, simple as that. Regardless of the motive, range, tool or game hunting is chasing and killing an animal or bird for food, sport, or profit.
    You seem to make a simple matter far too complicated my friend

But I get your point and from your point of view you are quite right saying 'Scenar sucks as a hunting bullet'.

i dropped a kudu with a 130gr 270, but it was a very close shot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    i dropped a kudu with a 130gr 270, but it was a very close shot
    Would you choose them if standing in a gun shop and buying bullets for this years hunting, there in front of you are PMP - Hornady Interlocks, Sierra Game Kings and some Lappua Spire Points?

Would your face light up and would you " Ahhhh! My favorite hunting bullet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast