Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230gn

To underscore this discussion, a few thread links to previous discussions in this regards :
    https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...-bullets/page3

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...mp-H-or-9-3x62

It seems there is still opinions in regards to rather using 250 gn bullets for this upcoming Kalahari hunt/holiday. The rationale being the 230gn bullets will for sure loose momentum and cause lack of good , deep penetration to the vitals of game over longer distances than 150m to 250meters??

I really need you members to discuss this statement from your own perspective and previous hunting experiences in this regards???

Thank you for the time/afford you spend to assist me in making the correct bullet choice for my upcoming hunt in the Kalahari..keep in mind, my hunting grounds always was the bush..where I made use of walk/stalk techniques to get very, very near the game , like on the 1885 Era Black powder rifle hunts I did,

Now, the vast open spaces in the Kalahari and the long dune streets are something totally different to what I have done before..

User

Default Re: All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230

I have had good experiences with the older Hornady 270gn SP bullets launched at 2500 fps from the muzzle at ranges out to 250m and slightly beyond. The secret is knowing the range and the trajectory. I zero at 200m, so I have to hold high only a little beyond 200m.

I don't think the oryx will be able to tell the difference between a 230, 250 or whatever gn bullet. Just the hunter needs to be very familiar with his chosen load.

User

Default Re: All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230

AR, thank you, I think when starting to re-load for my .375H&H Magnum it will give me a good understanding in performance with the 230gn comparing to the 250 gn bullets . Keeping in mind as usual that shot placement is the most important and premium bullets with it. Premium bullets will be Perigrine and Stewarts core bonded in a Spitzer/boat tail in 250 gn ....It will be great to have the opportunity to shoot two totally different bullets out of one barrel

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    AR, thank you, I think when starting to re-load for my .375H&H Magnum it will give me a good understanding in performance with the 230gn comparing to the 250 gn bullets . Keeping in mind as usual that shot placement is the most important and premium bullets with it. Premium bullets will be Perigrine and Stewarts core bonded in a Spitzer/boat tail in 250 gn ....It will be great to have the opportunity to shoot two totally different bullets out of one barrel
    If your POI does not differ too much between the 2 bullet types, this may be feasible. I would try to stick to just 1 good load and get to know it intimately.

User

Gert

What animals will you be hunting?

User

Gemsbuck/Oryx and Springbuck

This is the Aranos area looking like this type of veld. Maybe I do not need to shoot out further than 200meters at least
    Hunt+Namibia+Kalahari+2OutPost80.jpg

User

Of course now my question would be, but why Gert, why?
    And some forum member will say because he can.

Them small stuff, use one of your medium cartridges that easier shows bullet impacts.

Ps: On topic, if you want to use the 375 because you want to, use your regular load and don't mess around, zero at 200m and keep your cheat sheet(bullet drop chart) on you.

Banned

Gert, where we live and work in the Molopo (voor-Kalahari) I have had to take shots on kudu out to 300m, and once 340m.

I use my 308 with 180gr Sierra Pro-Hunters @ 2440fps, and the combination works.

If a 180gr from aa 308 can kill efficiently, then even a 200gr bullet from your 375 will kill even deader.

With such a "heavy" calibre I would advise the bullet with the flattest trajectory.

User

Messor/DsJ thank you for the advice , as always it is much appreciated. At this stage all the rifles that are potential longer range shooting rifles and not bushveld caliber`s is still in a building process...the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser ad the 8x68 S Mauser...the 8x57JS is really not a longer range hunting caliber at all since I use 220gn bullets over short hunting distances in the Bushveld.

So I need to use what I have , at this stage the .375H&H Magnum being the rifle I have currently that I can use for this purpose. The .458 , 404Jeffery , Black powder rifles Martini Henry and the Mauser 71 will not work...

Banned

The 375 H&H was developed for medium and large animals in Africa, over longer range...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast