Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
300 METERS is a long distance to shoot out to every time, accurately..this I always notice when doing range service at club shooting days ..as mentioned previously I always like to do the patching work after a SAJW hunting /shooting discipline especially the one where hunters shooting at a Impala or Wildebeest target at 300 meters...have been patching up these bullet holes myself , countless times at the range....
Yes. But what I am trying to explain to you is that the solution, to the inability to hit a target at 300m, does not lie in the BC's of bullets or the difference between 230gr and 250gr bullets. The solution lies in practice from appropriate practical field positions and knowing the trajectory of the load you are using.

TStone , it is not to make things complicated at all,,,but I really like an open discussion about these subjects..we do not have to have answers for every scenario informative..these types of inputs from members do have a purpose , getting me to understand more about reality of hunting on the ground.
And again. The reality of hunting on the ground, at the ranges you mentioned, has very little to do with the BC's and theoretical ability of bullets.

I am not trying to be flippant or ruin your post. Every year I spend a lot of time with hunters. On the ground. Hunting. Many of them know more about BC's, SD's and various other abbreviations related to shooting than I do. They can quote verbatim from reloading manuals and books about bullets and shooting. What most can't do reliably, is hit the vital areas of the animals they are shooting at. Not because they lack knowledge but because they lack skill.

Any of the bullets you mentioned will work effectively for the hunting scenario you have painted. Whether they weigh 230, 250 or 270gr will not make a practical difference. At 300m the BC's or SD's of those bullets will not make the difference between wounding, killing or missing.

What will make the difference is you knowing the drop of the bullet at the ranges you are shooting at. And your ability to place that bullet, quickly and accurately in the right spot. The BEST way to determine the drop of your bullet is on a range. Shooting that bullet at various ranges. The ONLY way to learn to place your bullet accurately is shooting at the range. From field positions.

Enjoy your hunt.