Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230

Sierra is a normal cup and core.

User

Default Re: All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230

Thank you ZZK602 slowly but surely the crop of bullets and their performances for the .375 H&H Magnum is making their appearances. The only unknown now is how legitimate are the BC /ballistic coefficient given by the bullet manufacturers and is it really a parameter/measurement to use when I am hunting at a distance from 50 meters out to 250meters in the Kalahari??

Is there not another measurement to use to determine what hunting bullet really are performing flawlessly for hunting with a .375 Cal out to distances of 250m ?

Would the best measurement not be: any premium bullet at a set weight in a set hunting environment be the best to use " be the measurement??

Only copper bullets no lead core bullets at all??One material , one BC measurement ?

Banned

You will have to practice and see what the bullets do at 250-300m. With a 200m zero and a drop of 8 inches at 300m, very little compensation will need to be done. The BC's of the monos might even be better than supplied.

Thought you might get some tips from the video below.

User

Gert, 250-300m is really not far in hunting terms. Virtually any .375 expanding hunting bullet (from 230- to 300gr) loaded to standard .375 H&H velocities will work provided the load is sufficiently accurate and you know the drop.

You are making this unnecessarily complicated.

Pick an accurate load (1-1.5 moa will do). Sight your rifle at 200m. Shoot the load at 250m and 300m. Note the drop. Practice from field positions out to 300m. Go hunt.

User

Much appreciated for all the advice. TStone , it is not to make things complicated at all,,,but I really like an open discussion about these subjects..we do not have to have answers for every scenario, the discussions and opinions are really worthwhile in regards to the different bullets use, BC and correct application of your rifle and it`s bullet used . These discussions may not be giving you answers since hunters like you and messor with a lot of other competent hunters on this forum are just on another level, this is why I find the discussions for myself really informative..these types of inputs from members do have a purpose , getting me to understand more about reality of hunting on the ground.

300 METERS is a long distance to shoot out to every time, accurately..this I always notice when doing range service at club shooting days ..as mentioned previously I always like to do the patching work after a SAJW hunting /shooting discipline especially the one where hunters shooting at a Impala or Wildebeest target at 300 meters...have been patching up these bullet holes myself , countless times at the range....

One out of every ten hunters shooting this discipline manage to shoot a tight grouping..the rest are either too high or too low ...some miss the vitals totally ...so for the average hunter I have the proof of the hunters are not able to shoot tight groupings at 300 meters....although most of the rifle calibers they shoot with will shoot much further past 300 meters I will agree with you...but it means nothing if you can not reliable shoot at a hart/lung area of a game specie at this distance.

Thank you Driepoot , your video is much appreciated.

User

Hi Gert. I use a 250gr Capstan bonded bullet [no longer made but the Claw bullet is almost the same]

Also used them for 10 years while PHing,shot a lot of animals and have had no reason to change.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Members, this is really a great informative discussion. I really am appreciate your valuable input a lot. The following phrase I have recently seen cropping up a lot of times in other discussions about different bullets, their weights, penetration performances ect "Manufacturers give their bullets a higher BC to sell better" many years ago similar discussions was done around the
    very important " Sectional Density" of a bullet..today nobody even mention SD of a bullet???
    If you place bullet of different calibers, but the same construction and material next to each other, those with the same SD will have the same length. So a 220gn .308 RN bullet will have about the same length as a 300gn .375 RN. When the mono-copper bullets hit the market, they messed the whole SD debate up. You should ideally replace a cup/core bullet with a Cu bullet of the same length. Gyroscopic stability will be the same and penetration likely the same or maybe even better. Retained weight will also be very similar. SD will be very different, so that is not really very relevant any more.

How is the BC of a bullet determine? Is there only standard used by bullet companies to determine the BC of their bullet products ?
    Why does hunting bullets even have a BC if you hunt normally at ranges from 50 meter to 200meter??
    The proper way is to shoot them and measure the velocity at the muzzle and downrange. A few bullet makers do this, but remember that different rifles will yield different results. There is also the matter of the applicability of a specific BC model to the bullet type. Flat-based, round nosed bullet should ideally be rated on the G1 BC model. Spitzer, boat tailed bullet relate better to the G7 model. But the G1 numbers a higher than G7 for the same bullet, so many manufacturers only quote the G1 numbers. With SPBT type bullets, these are not really useful for anything except marketing.

Then we have the manufacturers who calculate a theoretical BC number from the bullet's "form factor". Usually, these are optimistic too.

So once you have put all the data into your ballistic calculator, shoot the load out to distance and make the needed corrections (calibration) to get the trajectory data to correspond with actual measured drop on the target.

Surely drag can not have such a great impact on these short hunting distances??

At distances past 500 meters maybe , definitely past 1000meter for sure.
    Drag has the most effect right at the muzzle. The effect of the drag on the trajectory (drop) is not so significant within the first 300m, but can still make a difference of a few inches. Do test your drop on paper to see how accurate the predictions are. Confidence in your rifle, load and shooting skill is what translates to biltong on the hook.

User

Pre64, good to be hearing from you again. A friend of mine in the USA said that they really are struggling to get hold of re-loading components...it seems we South African hunters should think of making more use of our local bullet manufacturing companies locally . The 250 gn bullet from a .375 cal seems to be the most versatile bullet on plains game up to Eland ?? We are not talking of the .375 H&H Magnum as dangerous game at all now..we know how capable it is in that department.

I am curious as to know more about the lightest bullet that can be stabilize and still be accurate from a .375 H&H Magnum with a 1:10 rifling twist?

User

AR, great info and an informative answer and explanation for sure. Thank you kindly. A lot of knowledge is to be found in this thread ..

Know your rifle/bullet drop at all distances??? Is this not too much to expect from a hunter , hunting the Karoo and Kalahari when shooting at game at longer distances?
    Looking at the video Driepoot posted gave me the idea that the hunter shooting at the Oryx at 400 meters really did not have an idea of where he will be placing the shot ...looking at the poor shot placement on the Oryx let me to believe this hunter really do not have the skill to shoot at game on that distance...

It seems the caliber of a rifle give some hunters the confidence to take shots they rather should not have even consider at all. Making it clear this hunter for sure do not know his rifle and where shot placement needs to be at 400 meters on a Oryx.

The confidence this fast, flat shooting caliber rifle gave the hunter in the video does not add up to the actual capability of the hunter ..hence the poor judgement and poor shot placement..

I would like some comments about my perspective ad opinion in this regards??

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    You will have to practice and see what the bullets do at 250-300m. With a 200m zero and a drop of 8 inches at 300m, very little compensation will need to be done. The BC's of the monos might even be better than supplied.

Thought you might get some tips from the video below.

Driepoot , the tips I get from this video is the following:

Poor judgement from the hunter in regards to taking a shot at 400 meters he really seems not to be capable off.

Poor judgement from the PH/Guide in letting the hunter shoot at the Oryx that look at them and know he is being hunted.

The hunter really gets his confidence from the fast, flat shooting rifle caliber he is using , not from his capabilities to shoot at a Oryx at 400 meter , that distance was too far for his shooting capabilities.

The animals on that farm really seems to be running the whole time ..so they have been shot at left , right and center ...they are pretty wild ...

Would I shoot at an animal at 400 meters? No, even if I feel confident ...it seems the reality shows the contrary..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast