Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    300 METERS is a long distance to shoot out to every time, accurately..this I always notice when doing range service at club shooting days ..as mentioned previously I always like to do the patching work after a SAJW hunting /shooting discipline especially the one where hunters shooting at a Impala or Wildebeest target at 300 meters...have been patching up these bullet holes myself , countless times at the range....
    Yes. But what I am trying to explain to you is that the solution, to the inability to hit a target at 300m, does not lie in the BC's of bullets or the difference between 230gr and 250gr bullets. The solution lies in practice from appropriate practical field positions and knowing the trajectory of the load you are using.

TStone , it is not to make things complicated at all,,,but I really like an open discussion about these subjects..we do not have to have answers for every scenario informative..these types of inputs from members do have a purpose , getting me to understand more about reality of hunting on the ground.
    And again. The reality of hunting on the ground, at the ranges you mentioned, has very little to do with the BC's and theoretical ability of bullets.

I am not trying to be flippant or ruin your post. Every year I spend a lot of time with hunters. On the ground. Hunting. Many of them know more about BC's, SD's and various other abbreviations related to shooting than I do. They can quote verbatim from reloading manuals and books about bullets and shooting. What most can't do reliably, is hit the vital areas of the animals they are shooting at. Not because they lack knowledge but because they lack skill.

Any of the bullets you mentioned will work effectively for the hunting scenario you have painted. Whether they weigh 230, 250 or 270gr will not make a practical difference. At 300m the BC's or SD's of those bullets will not make the difference between wounding, killing or missing.

What will make the difference is you knowing the drop of the bullet at the ranges you are shooting at. And your ability to place that bullet, quickly and accurately in the right spot. The BEST way to determine the drop of your bullet is on a range. Shooting that bullet at various ranges. The ONLY way to learn to place your bullet accurately is shooting at the range. From field positions.

Enjoy your hunt.

Default Re: All .375 H&H Magnum owners : .375 H&H Magnum hunting in the Kalahari: Bullet choice 250gn or 230

+1
    I know the question was about long distance but just my 2 c
    I am by no means a expert hunter and had my share of wounding and missed shots, but I have shot springbuck with my 9,3 X 62 and 255 gr Sako round nose bullets on voorsit hunts. Mostly limited the range to not more than 150 m even if I had a very stable rest.
    Most hunts are in bushveld areas where long shots are not taken but I still practise from field positions, usually using shooting sticks. I use all shapes of bullets. Pointed, semi- spitzer, mono- metal an round nose. I do not "take chances" with head shots. A few friends do not practise enough and then find it "strange" to even shoot over shooting sticks. Those who practised enough usually have the most success.

User

TSone, I agree with you on all accounts mentioned in your post, which translate to stop reading about shooting , take the rifle , reload and go shooting at a lot of different ranges/distances and different targets until you are able to hit it every time within 350meters
    Then give some feedback...

TStone nails it. We knew nothing about BC years ago. Even less about premium vs standard bullets. There were no benches at the range. Even a 45-70 can be shot to incredible distances just by knowing the rifle and range.

Banned

Gert, laat waai kwagga !!!!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Gert, laat waai kwagga !!!!!!
    Driepoot, dit gaan `n groot Koedoe bul wees..Ek sit nou net en wonder of daar `n goeie resep is om daardie horings sag te kan kook..

Banned

The easiest way to clean a skull is to place the horns in a drum of water. Replace the water on a daily basis and the meat will rot away. Make sure that the brain is removed as it is very oily and will stain the bone. Continue till all flesh has been removed and by that time the horns should also have come loose from the skull.

User

Update : I currently am shooting Stewart Core bonded bullets 235gn . The .375 H&H Magnum seems to favorer these bullets. I fitted a Weaver Grandslam rifle scope 4-12x44. It seems to be a good combination.

Reloading for the .375 is not complicated at all and preliminary sighting in the rifle scope and rifle as a combination looks good.

I will be completing this process shortly at 100meters then starting to shoot out to 200 meters.
    I still want to use this rifle in Namibia and at a Springbuck hunt this hunting season near Colesberg.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4