Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Perfomance Plug and Play chips

Hi All.

I want to install a performance plug and play chip on my vehicle.

With soooo many different brands on the market not sure which one to go with.

Any advice will be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Perfomance Plug and Play chips

Any? Drive it like you stole it afterwards ;)

User

If the installer doesn't run the car on a dyno while tuning then run away. Also get their warranty in writing up front, so many of these guys guarantee they won't blow your car up, but when the crunch comes the stories start.

User

Also, keep in mind the claimed numbers are always in ideal conditions, usually on a dyno and not on the road. My dad fell for a Unichip with a whole "Stage 2 SAC Kit" back in the day. Yes, the bakkie went like stink in a classroom, but it went from average on fuel to very heavy on fuel.

User

First and most important thing.

Do your homework. Go onto the forums for your type of vehicle. VW Audi Ford etc etc.
    A lot of these plug and play chips or carpark tuners load maps onto your vehicle which make it pull like crazy, BUT it puts too much strain on components and will cause premature failure.
    That is why it is important to do your homework.

I have gone for a mild tune on my ranger. There are others that will make the vehicle feel aggressive. The tuner I used will not load an aggressive map as reliability is his biggest thing and he has a name to uphold.

Hope this gives you a little understanding.
    Do not believe all the bull#$%t and power figures.

User

A Andrew said. Some are good and some SUCK. A Chinese Haval will need a chip to bring the fuel consumption anywhere near what it should be for example. That's a petrol example.
    On diesel it can be a bit more complicated, depending on what parameters are changed, the most common is to bump up the rail pressure, but that's a trade off. Also some engines readily lend themselves to improvements, others just can't accept anything more than a mild improvement.

Do the homework before dropping the cash.

What vehicle, out of curiosity.

Not a good idea, plug an play units like Chipbox or reflashing of your ECU uses maps that are developed in other countries for their fuel and their conditions.

Only local option in my opinion is UniChip installed by guys like Dastek or Rob Green motorsport as they will tune your vehicle from scratch on the dyno for our fuel and our conditions and your requirements, be that towing or drag racing

Depending on the car you don't need a unichip to run a dyno developed custom tune.

Plug in devices like Race chip are developed on euro cars, with euro spec on euro fuels. You may not get the same results.

Reflashes developed by competent guys like Revo will get you good reliable improvements. They build in good safety margins.
    There is also no free lunch. On turbo cars you get gainz with more boost. More boost means more fuel. You don't get more power with less fuel.

What car do you want to tune?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

There are many tuners out there, some good and others not so good.
    There are also things like ECU flash or and plug-and-play unit (some are also better than others, JB4 was quite popular at a stage but only fits on certain cars and models), depending on if your car is in warranty (though that is another debate).

Depending on what car you would determine who to go to.

For example, I have a Golf 6 GTI, have had it for a number of years, and have been tuned throughout those years.
    I have an ECU flash, so no added units.

My car currently makes +- 244kw and 530nm (these figures are on the wheels and not on the fly), that said I am not only running software but other hardware as well.
    Leon @ Insane Racing has done all the work to my car including services but depending on what car you have would determine which tuner to go and whether they will recommend an ECU flash or a plug-and-play unit.

Another thing, I am able to get somewhere around a 4.6-5.2 liters per 100km driving from Rosebank to Centurion provided I drove very nicely but if I drive "more lively" I can expect a low 7 or flat 7 (both are highway figures) and then if I really wack it, like on a 1/4 mile track then its best to not have the average consumption view on display.

One of my mates got his Ranger tuned by Leon, a normal ECU flash, he saw improved performance, improved consumption, and in general a better driving experience.
    Last edited by Mischif93; 06-04-2021 at 21:00. Reason: Removed a number of empty lines

User

Keep it in mind that unless there is room for an increase of delivered power or torque in the drive train specifications you will "pop" or "blow" something.

The increased power and torque delivery by the engine puts more stress on the recipient drive train components as in the gearbox, differential, driveshafts or CV joints to name a few.

Some vehicles are built close to the borderline specifications that there isn't much room to allow for an increase.
    Research your vehicle before deciding.

Many tuners will say nothing will go wrong.
    The engine maybe ok but the increased power and torque may not be so good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast