Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some help.

User

Default Need some help.

I am getting calls from 3 different numbers over the last 2 weeks now. Problem is, when I answer nobody speaks to me. I was called from a new number today. I did not answer as I was driving. I phoned back. The person did pick up, I could hear some noise in the background. But despite me talking, nobody spoke back to me. I dropped the call. 5 minutes later that same number phoned me. I picked up, still nobody on the other side said a word.
    Maybe I am too paranoid, but that's just me.
    I wonder if anyone might be able to trace the number for me?
    I added all the numbers on WhatsApp but not one of the 3 numbers are on WhatsApp. It might be from a business, but then they would have talked to me.
    I am sure some people who don't like me much, like the people I have reported for loud music, have my number. I would very much like to know who is giving me the silent treatment while phoning me.
    I can give the number to anyone here who can help via pm.
    Or may I leave the number here?
    Even if I can just know from which town the person is calling me it would already help.

Default Re: Need some help.

Try the Truecaller app its pretty useful?

User

I have not installed it yet. Let me give it a go.

Banned

Google the number, has worked for me on many occasions to find out who caller is, especially spam and business's.
    The business's that sub contract to try and scratch up payment for old unpaid fines are well known for this, they are cold calling numbers as they talking to someone else.If there is a operator available they speak to you, if not they just waste your time and bother you again later.

The international operators for Google adds, search engines also treat us like this.
    The one you talking of a 021 number?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I get a lot of 087 number calls. I just "Block" the numbers on my phone as they come in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Google the number, has worked for me on many occasions to find out who caller is, especially spam and business's.
    The business's that sub contract to try and scratch up payment for old unpaid fines are well known for this, they are cold calling numbers as they talking to someone else.If there is a operator available they speak to you, if not they just waste your time and bother you again later.

The international operators for Google adds, search engines also treat us like this.
    The one you talking of a 021 number?
    No its cellphone numbers. 067 and 073
    I get a call where they are looking for a Mr Lakay. This is going on for 10 years now. I have this same number much longer than 10 years. Perhaps Mr Lakay owe a lot of businesses a lot of money. This only happens once in 3 months or so.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I get a lot of 087 number calls. I just "Block" the numbers on my phone as they come in.
    But at least they speak with you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PCfanatic View Post
    No its cellphone numbers. 067 and 073I get a call where they are looking for a Mr Lakay. This is going on for 10 years now. I have this same number much longer than 10 years. Perhaps Mr Lakay owe a lot of businesses a lot of money. This only happens once in 3 months or so.
    Mr Lakay was most probably the previous owner of the number. Remember that call lists are sold between companies. I have had my number for roughly 18 years and I still get the odd call for Mrs Niewoudt, who owned the number before me. As to the original question, don't call back. There has been schemes with ridiculous high calling fees who made lots of money from people calling them back.

User

My predecessor at our company did not pay his debt and I had to explain at least 3 times per week that he is not with our company anymore and they must please remove the number, but they kept on phoning back. I asked nicely, I swore, I begged but to no avail. Then I started to say, please hold for mr #### and then kept them hanging on (my record was 8 min). Then suddenly the calls became less frequent.
    Maybe you should tell them: please hold for mr Lakay and "look" for him and see if they change their tune?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Mr Lakay was most probably the previous owner of the number. Remember that call lists are sold between companies. I have had my number for roughly 18 years and I still get the odd call for Mrs Niewoudt, who owned the number before me. As to the original question, don't call back. There has been schemes with ridiculous high calling fees who made lots of money from people calling them back.
    I know this, yet I called back I totally forgot about this scheme.
    Yes, after so many people asked for Mr Lakay I figured he had my number previously. I don't mind their calls much. But these silent calls.... Maybe I watch too much television.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast