Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Banned

Default Re: New 308 rifle project musings

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Judging by the majority of responses, I guess the resale value of such a rifle would be pretty low, as not many of you guys seem to think that this is a good idea?
    Might take longer to sell, but I would think value would be pretty much as its counter part. Kinda thing someone that has hunted with you buys, a friend

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Judging by the majority of responses, I guess the resale value of such a rifle would be pretty low, as not many of you guys seem to think that this is a good idea?
    The idea is superb, but please keep in mind that it would be a purpose-built rifle, hence it might be pretty and of great use to you, yet of little use to anyone who thinks they need a "normal" rifle. In the end, a rifle's value is often determined by the buyer. Someone looking for a bakkie rifle would probably be glad to take it off your hands, and pay for it too.

User

Default New 308 rifle project musings

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    A-R, when you ask for advice then one knows your thinking is all over the place :)

Build what you intend to use it for, no need to go bull barrel, all 308’s shoot.
    No need for long strings, no worries about shooting several different bullets.
    Even the scope, I’ve hunted with a 2-7x32 in bush terrain and it just works like a charm.
    Hogue stock is perfectly fine, no bipod to cause a pressure point for your setup, add one spacer on the front recoil lug.

Go 308, go light, go suppressor, you’ll thank yourself afterwards.
    Agreed, no need for a bull barrel, just adds weight and for your purpose lighter is better.

Very similar to my go-to rifle setup.
    Weighs 7lbs all up loaded (5.5lbs bare rifle).
    Barrel shortened to 16” and with the dpt modular suppressor takes it up to 20”.
    A pleasure to carry all over the place up mountains on multi-day trips and zeroed at 170m gives me ooh t and shoot to 250m without having to dial.
    Only thing I want to do now is go to a VX3i 2-8x32 with ultra low Talley lightweight rings to further drop the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Agreed, no need for a bull barrel, just adds weight and for your purpose lighter is better.Very similar to my go-to rifle setup.Weighs 7lbs all up loaded (5.5lbs bare rifle). Barrel shortened to 16” and with the dpt modular suppressor takes it up to 20”.A pleasure to carry all over the place up mountains on multi-day trips and zeroed at 170m gives me ooh t and shoot to 250m without having to dial.Only thing I want to do now is go to a VX3i 2-8x32 with ultra low Talley lightweight rings to further drop the weight.
    Nothing beats experience

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Agreed, no need for a bull barrel, just adds weight and for your purpose lighter is better.

Very similar to my go-to rifle setup.
    Weighs 7lbs all up loaded (5.5lbs bare rifle).
    Barrel shortened to 16” and with the dpt modular suppressor takes it up to 20”.
    A pleasure to carry all over the place up mountains on multi-day trips and zeroed at 170m gives me ooh t and shoot to 250m without having to dial.
    Only thing I want to do now is go to a VX3i 2-8x32 with ultra low Talley lightweight rings to further drop the weight.

Very sexy!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The idea is superb, but please keep in mind that it would be a purpose-built rifle, hence it might be pretty and of great use to you, yet of little use to anyone who thinks they need a "normal" rifle. In the end, a rifle's value is often determined by the buyer. Someone looking for a bakkie rifle would probably be glad to take it off your hands, and pay for it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Might take longer to sell, but I would think value would be pretty much as its counter part. Kinda thing someone that has hunted with you buys, a friend
    Jes, but I also don't have any urge to ever sell it. If I don't shoot it's barrel out, then the kids can have it.

User

Build it mate, you won’t regret it.

Once you have one you won’t want to go back to a full size rifle.
    Unless you are wanting to go past 350/400m and even then, a good dial up scope and rangefinder will get you to most reasonable hunting distances without issue.

They are a very popular format here in NZ, as they cover 90% of our hunting needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4