Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    ... I just realized. while typing, I have a Musgrave K98 action ??? mmmn what about a K98 action and a semi bull barrel as a modern .303 calber rifle. Generous free bore and K98 strength with correct twist mmmmmnnnn, my .270 is really tired.
    Or just get a P14. Already in .303, no need to change the bolt and it is a strong action, just in case you want a larger calibre later on.

Banned

Default Re: New 308 rifle project musings

Oom A-R, the whole idea of a super compact hunting rifle has been in my thoughts for quite some time. My thoughts easily turn to the bullpup design, but the drawbacks are too many.

A few thoughts:

- a bush rifle does not need a heavy or large telescope - a red dot sight or compact scope should suffice, although head shots with a rds might be risky

- the scout rifle can serve as a handy example, or something like the Tikka T3x (https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic)

My .22 measures 97cm in length with 15" barrel, including a 6" silencer. It handles superbly. Yes, it is only a 22 instead of a 308, yet it is a platform to start from.

Given these basics, I have considered designing a skeleton stock from space age materials like aluminium and/or carbon fibre. The rifle will probably be ugly as can be, but it might be a breakthrough.

User

Ruger gunsite scout .

Of course this would then take all the fun out of building your own.

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Ruger gunsite scout .

Of course this would then take all the fun out of building your own.
    This or the T3 Arctic. Long wondered about a 98 or RSA action adapted to take a Fal box mag.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    This or the T3 Arctic. Long wondered about a 98 or RSA action adapted to take a Fal box mag.
    That is an option. Not a 20-round mag, that would just stick out too much. A factory 10-round mag or a shortened (to 10 round) standard mag should work nicely. Just the cost of the action milling may be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Oom A-R, the whole idea of a super compact hunting rifle has been in my thoughts for quite some time. My thoughts easily turn to the bullpup design, but the drawbacks are too many.

A few thoughts:

- a bush rifle does not need a heavy or large telescope - a red dot sight or compact scope should suffice, although head shots with a rds might be risky

- the scout rifle can serve as a handy example, or something like the Tikka T3x (https://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-arctic)

My .22 measures 97cm in length with 15" barrel, including a 6" silencer. It handles superbly. Yes, it is only a 22 instead of a 308, yet it is a platform to start from.

Given these basics, I have considered designing a skeleton stock from space age materials like aluminium and/or carbon fibre. The rifle will probably be ugly as can be, but it might be a breakthrough.
    I also dislike the bullpup layout for this particular purpose. I want the rifle to be useable from the left shoulder, for shooting out the driver-side window of the bakkie, at a jackal or something.

Out to 100m I get along with an RDS quite well. Beyond that, precise shot placement becomes iffy. So a variable with low minimum magnification will be my choice.

My very first rifle was a 22 Anschutz that I had shortened to 15" with a Parker-Hale suppressor. I still have it and it is a joy to shoot and carry. My kids love it too. So the concept is pretty practical and proven to me.

The skeleton stock idea will, in practical terms, boil down to one of the modern aluminium or composite chassis systems. Something like the MDT Oryx or KRG Bravo would be quite versatile. So far, they are all heavier than a moulded plastic stock, so to keep the weight (and cost) down to manageable levels, it can start on a plastic "rowing paddle" and possibly later get upgraded to something better. For the intended purpose, I think a classic-style stock will still give the best overall handling.

If you are trying to achieve something - a goal or effectiveness of the tool, I doubt that you will continue with the .308 project after you have experimented with the .303.
    After perfecting the load with the 174 gr bullet you will likely realize that you can not really get much better in regard to 30 cal and a budget. You could perhaps gain 80 fps or .25 of a inch or what ever over the required 150 m use,. You could also realize that a R800 rand box of interlocks needs to be replaced with a R1500 box of Bonded or Mono bullets to hold together.
    I honestly believe the .303 is all you need for closer range, it covers 90 % of everything at a price which is less than the cost of a new Lynx 3-9 scope. I really got the thought, message when using it for what it was built, " ah! this works" I do not need a .308, 30 06 - .458, or 12 G slug, this just works"

There was also a great sense of satisfaction in taking a piece a shit, give me R350 for it rifle and making it into a "geese dave that thing works ey" + it has your 10 round mag.
    Only I wish is that i could have a personalized profile barrel, semi bull would be great, but then it would not be a scrap build princess.
    I just realized. while typing, I have a Musgrave K98 action ??? mmmn what about a K98 action and a semi bull barrel as a modern .303 calber rifle. Generous free bore and K98 strength with correct twist mmmmmnnnn, my .270 is really tired.
    The 303 would work for 95% of what I want it for, so that will definitely be the first step. What it may lack, would be the precision for shots beyond 200m.

I see you also like the idea of a thicker barrel on the shorty. A cut-down bull-barrelled 308 would do that trick and still cost less or the same as a new custom barrel.

Building a 303 on a '98 action is not something I want to attempt. Mauser did this, but the amount of changes needed to get the rimmed, tapered round to feed and function is not insignificant. Just stick with a cartridge that fits the standard bolt-face and magazine. I bet the kudu won't notice the difference between a 174gn .311 bullet and a 180gn .308" bullet of the same construction hitting at the same speed. They do the same job.

What got me thinking along these lines was Treeman's shorty 303. Basically the same concept. Before I do the 308, I might just as well do a short 303 to test the concept. It already has a synthetic stock and low-mounted 2-8x scope on. Will do some calcs and see how a 16" (and other lengths) 303 will perform.***********************YOU JUST HAVE NO IDEA HOW ABSOLUTELY AWESOME THIS CREATION IS.If I lived around the Kruger Park (I go every 3 years) - I really do believe that my .303 shorty would kinda be everything I could need to recreate the old .303 Boer reputation.I now have two shorties, a .458 and the .303 - I am not sure if I can tell the differance on Kudu downwards on effectiveness. The .303 seems to have longer legs.
    I already have a "shorty" chambered in 44Mag and fed cast lead bullets at subsonic velocities. A smaller variant of your 458-2". Effective range is limited to around 70m at present. So this shorty would be in the same class as your 303. The concept is probably not for everyone, but I am also not a conformist. I like to do my own thing and try radical ideas.

User

After reading this thread, I remembered a similar rifle that someone had posted about a while about. This is his thread on a 16" Howa.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    After reading this thread, I remembered a similar rifle that someone had posted about a while about. This is his thread on a 16" Howa.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Yes, this is the same idea, just add the suppressor.

Banned

After reading all this again I feel I must add that I am not saying the .303 is better than the .308 for this application, only that it is more than enough and then some more.
    I saying do not modify your good .308 or buy the makings for the .308 conversion if you can find a R1000 .303 or even have one lying around never getting use because its a old .303.
    It really will tick all the box's and at a fraction of the cost. The only cost/buy is the new synthetic stock, everything else can be what you have and can trade.

User

After reading all this again I feel I must add that I am not saying the .303 is better than the .308 for this application, only that it is more than enough and then some more.
    I saying do not modify your good .308 or buy the makings for the .308 conversion if you can find a R1000 .303 or even have one lying around never getting use because its a old .303.
    It really will tick all the box's and at a fraction of the cost. The only cost/buy is the new synthetic stock, everything else can be what you have and can trade.
    The 303 conversion will go ahead asap. I only need to manufacture the suppressor, this will take about 1 working day.

However, I still envisage doing the shorty 308 project. It will also be useable for hunters association monthly shoots and similar, besides it's normal field duties.

I have no issues with the 2 similar rifles. The sons can fight it out to decide who takes which one.

User

Judging by the majority of responses, I guess the resale value of such a rifle would be pretty low, as not many of you guys seem to think that this is a good idea?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast