Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Purchasing qty with dedicated status- anything changed?

Good evening all.

Since I have not had the need to purchase bulk .22 ammo for quite a while I just want to verify if anything changed in the meantime or did I have it wrong anyway?

Previously I purchased bulk ammo on my S15 .22license with proof that I had dedicated status (about 4 years ago). I was recently told I could not do this as the specific license/calibre you purchase for needs be a S16 license to be able to purchase more than 200 rounds. Is this the case?

I recall some previous discussions on this but cannot seem to find anything with the search function.

Banned

Default Re: Purchasing qty with dedicated status- anything changed?

If you have proof that you are dedicated it should override the S15 license. My SA Hunter membership card clearly states my dedicated status. That is the decider together with the date. If you make a false declaration when your status has maybe lapsed, it is easy to pick up and then you could be in serious trouble.

User

I've found that it basically depends on the dealer (who in turn takes his direction from his specific designated DFO, who in turn each interprets the FCA differently).

Even NHSA has issued conflicting statements and legal opinions on this topic.

If you want to buy bulk and your regular dealer does not want to on S15 licence with dedicated status, go to next one until you get one that will do so.

(Almost the same situation where my "regular" gunshop won't sell .38Spl ammo to me on a .357Mag license. I just buy my .38Spl rounds from another dealer who's DFO interprets it differently).

Thank you for the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by GORBY View Post

(Almost the same situation where my "regular" gunshop won't sell .38Spl ammo to me on a .357Mag license. I just buy my .38Spl rounds from another dealer who's DFO interprets it differently).
    That is ridiculous. Can they not read the act?

User

Nope. S&O refused to sell me more that 200 .22 rounds on my S15, despite DDS status. They just told me that their DFO instructed them they are not allowed to book out more than 200 rounds on anything other than a S16 license - and "that they are not going to risk their dealer license on my interpretation of the law".

Then I saw an opinion piece from MJ Hood on facebook, and Martin agreed - only 200 rounds on any license card other that a S16. With DDS status *not* giving one blanket exemption for ammunition. (I tried to search for the article now, but no luck yet..)

So I'm afraid it seems you will be out of luck if you try buy more that 200x rounds on a S15 license these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    Nope. S&O refused to sell me more that 200 .22 rounds on my S15, despite DDS status. They just told me that their DFO instructed them they are not allowed to book out more than 200 rounds on anything other than a S16 license - and "that they are not going to risk their dealer license on my interpretation of the law".

Then I saw an opinion piece from MJ Hood on facebook, and Martin agreed - only 200 rounds on any license card other that a S16. With DDS status *not* giving one blanket exemption for ammunition. (I tried to search for the article now, but no luck yet..)

So I'm afraid it seems you will be out of luck if you try buy more that 200x rounds on a S15 license these days...
    As much respect as I have for Martin Hood, he’s wrong on this one.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Found it..

And I quote Mr. Hood' post;

" Morning Everyone I have scrolled through FB in the last couple of days looking at some of the comments and "answers " given to questions about the FCA . Good accurate advice is not free and advice is often just repeated by someone who was told something similar by someone else yet neither of these types of persons work with the legislation on a daily basis or even worse, have never read it. The situation is compounded by the fact that every policeman has an opinion on the law [ which is more than often more incorrect than on social media] and their interpretation will be contradicted or changed by another policeman higher up in the food chain.
    So I get tired of reading crap comments by people who are not qualified to do so and which makes all of our lives more difficult and complicated.
    Three example suffice to demonstrate this .

1 Does dedicated status exempt me from the 200 round limit? No it doesn't . Read section 91 which has a specific procedure for exemption, it is not automatic because you simply pass a dedicated course. You need a section 16 licence to be exempt for that calibre . I dont care what opinions are out there , there is no way the act intended to give control on how much ammunition a person can purchase to an accredited association and on the issue of a certificate for dedicated status. None of the so called commentators who say otherwise were around in 1997 when we actually discussed the act and it's purpose with saps and politicians.

2 Can I change the section my firearm is licenced under? Theoretically yes because the act is silent on this , practically no. Why? Because saps repeatedly say so in court papers which none of the people who say you can, have ever read. Just buy another firearm under section 16 and avoid the hassle.

3 Can I carry any licenced firearm on my person and protect myself with it? Yes , read the end of sections 13 ,14, 15, 16, 16A, and 17 for goodness sake! Then stop asking and talking about it because saps will change it if you keep drawing attention to it. Pls note my wording at the beginning of this paragraph, it was used deliberately.
    While I was typing this I received a call from an experienced DFO who begged me to tell you all that in the last 40 amnesty applications he has just processed 18 had information that differed from information previously submitted by applicants , particularly email and cell phone details. This makes their job more time consuming and explains why you do not get communication from them. It is your legal obligation to ensure your personal information is up to date. "

https://web.facebook.com/groups/mjho...1/?_rdc=1&_rdr

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    Found it..

And I quote Mr. Hood' post;

" Morning Everyone I have scrolled through FB in the last couple of days looking at some of the comments and "answers " given to questions about the FCA . Good accurate advice is not free and advice is often just repeated by someone who was told something similar by someone else yet neither of these types of persons work with the legislation on a daily basis or even worse, have never read it. The situation is compounded by the fact that every policeman has an opinion on the law [ which is more than often more incorrect than on social media] and their interpretation will be contradicted or changed by another policeman higher up in the food chain.
    So I get tired of reading crap comments by people who are not qualified to do so and which makes all of our lives more difficult and complicated.
    Three example suffice to demonstrate this .

1 Does dedicated status exempt me from the 200 round limit? No it doesn't . Read section 91 which has a specific procedure for exemption, it is not automatic because you simply pass a dedicated course. You need a section 16 licence to be exempt for that calibre . I dont care what opinions are out there , there is no way the act intended to give control on how much ammunition a person can purchase to an accredited association and on the issue of a certificate for dedicated status. None of the so called commentators who say otherwise were around in 1997 when we actually discussed the act and it's purpose with saps and politicians.

2 Can I change the section my firearm is licenced under? Theoretically yes because the act is silent on this , practically no. Why? Because saps repeatedly say so in court papers which none of the people who say you can, have ever read. Just buy another firearm under section 16 and avoid the hassle.

3 Can I carry any licenced firearm on my person and protect myself with it? Yes , read the end of sections 13 ,14, 15, 16, 16A, and 17 for goodness sake! Then stop asking and talking about it because saps will change it if you keep drawing attention to it. Pls note my wording at the beginning of this paragraph, it was used deliberately.
    While I was typing this I received a call from an experienced DFO who begged me to tell you all that in the last 40 amnesty applications he has just processed 18 had information that differed from information previously submitted by applicants , particularly email and cell phone details. This makes their job more time consuming and explains why you do not get communication from them. It is your legal obligation to ensure your personal information is up to date. "

https://web.facebook.com/groups/mjho...1/?_rdc=1&_rdr
    It is not about what the act intended. It is about what it states. He is wrong.

User

Nothing to do with who`s right or wrong...just find a dealer that will sell you more than 200 rounds with the current status you have..as vague as the law is ,it is about the same as all the different interpretations of dealers and hunters regarding how much you can buy for personal use and training .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast