Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Purchasing qty with dedicated status- anything changed?

Emphasis is mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post

1 Does dedicated status exempt me from the 200 round limit? No it doesn't . Read section 91 which has a specific procedure for exemption, it is not automatic because you simply pass a dedicated course. You need a section 16 licence to be exempt for that calibre . I dont care what opinions are out there , there is no way the act intended to give control on how much ammunition a person can purchase to an accredited association and on the issue of a certificate for dedicated status. None of the so called commentators who say otherwise were around in 1997 when we actually discussed the act and it's purpose with saps and politicians.
    Quote from Act 60 of 2000, the passage referred to above

91 Restrictions on possession of ammunition

(1) The holder of a licence to possess a firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not possess more than 200 cartridges for each firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence.
    (2) The limitation in subsection (1) does not apply to—
    (a) a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person who holds a licence issued in terms of this Act
    or any other holder of a licence issued in terms of this Act authorised by the Registrar to possess more than 200 cartridges for a firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence on good cause shown; or
    (b) the holder of a licence to possess a firearm issued in terms of this Act in respectof ammunition bought and discharged at an accredited shooting range.

Now, I read that line up to the "OR" (just after the bold section), as one person it does not apply to, and after the "OR" as another person it does not apply to. And a DSS can have a S15 (or S13 licence) and qualify for exemption.

BUT, you can also read that section (paragraph (a)) as "A DSS or DHS with a licence, or any other licencee, either of which have authorisation from the Registrar to exceed 200 rounds per licence."

The problem is, Chapter 6 (referred to) covers all 'normal' licences, including S16. If you read it in MY interpretation, DSS and DHS holders can have more than 200 rounds per licence. The second interpretation clearly means NOBODY (including S16 licence holders) can have more than 200 rounds per licence without authorisation from the Registrar.

But then again, I'm not a lawyer just an engineer, and English IS my second language...

And specifically because of your confusion, the argument of legality, and more specifically the ius certum principle, is applicable.

The “intention of the legislature” is a poor fallback that is used far too often.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quick question in regards to this:

The holder of a licence to possess a firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not possess more than 200 cartridges for each firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence.

Does that mean if I own a Section 13 9mmP and a Section 15 9mmP I can legally purchase 400 rounds in one go?

User

The way I was told was that you as a person have the dss status and thereby the 200rd limit is not applicable to me anymore. Lets say I have a 9mm P as a sd gun (sec 13) and i have dss status but I have a 40SW on sec 16 as my sport gun and I have no other licenses on my name. The way I understand is that I may legally have more than 200 9mmP rounds. Am I correct?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    The way I was told was that you as a person have the dss status and thereby the 200rd limit is not applicable to me anymore. Lets say I have a 9mm P as a sd gun (sec 13) and i have dss status but I have a 40SW on sec 16 as my sport gun and I have no other licenses on my name. The way I understand is that I may legally have more than 200 9mmP rounds. Am I correct?
    Yes.

User

Solderman, you are correct.

Section 91 -1 makes this clear.
    The 200 round limit applies per license.

(1) The holder of a licence to possess a firearm referred to in Chapter 6 may not possess more than 200 cartridges for each firearm in respect of which he or she holds a licence.

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Solderman, you are correct.

Section 91 -1 makes this clear.
    The 200 round limit applies per license.

Thanks, that's how I interpreted it when I read it now, i have always been under the impression that you were limited to 200 even with two licenses. This is great news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2