Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: .338 Imperial Magnum Chassis fun project

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal
    Do your company sell the USA/Sweden/ companies' rifle powders?
    No, I'm not licensed for powder. The supply of imported powders is relatively stable in JHB / PTA, in various gunshops, if one doesn't have, another usually does.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    The .338 Win Mag psi is 64000psi
    I will contact the HOWA company in Japan and ask about their pressure tests on their .338 caliber actions. 414 Gates , I never sell a rifle if I paid for it...this rifle will be mine until end of days
    Here is a HOWA .338 Win Mag Barreld action available ..
    https://www.gunshopdelmas.co.za/rifl...ue-std-24.html

howa-ba-338-win-mag-blue-std-24.jpg

User

If the HOWA .338 barreled action is chambered in the .338 caliber I am sure the action will endure the .338 Imperial Magnum loads??

I am sure this HOWA action will then shoot much, much more accurate than me all day long ...

HOWA has a reputation of being very accurate out of the box..it will then be a fun shooting long range rifle HOWA accuracy reputation product.

My focus will not be on the action or barrel ( Bartlein or Brux barrel 32" inch heavy sport straight taper barrel profile ,

but on the accuracy of the chassis build cutting/milling freehand procedures as well as weight distribution system on the chassis incorporated ...

User

Good, this time the build really will be a practical endeavor primarily.

I give you this photo:
    acc-mdt-chassis-09_1024x1024_1 (1).jpg
    How will you go about to build a similar item ?
    Using high grade Aluminum bar stock?

I will be affecting changes to the milled butt stock , it will not be duplicates as precisely seen in this photo..since I want to incorporate features I like in a long range rifle .

I am doing it free hand milling method .Straight plunger milling bits with different diameters

I would like to hear from members that want to participate in this build.

The stock project is interesting, and it's always a plus to own something you made yourself.

Realistically, you will not manufacture that item for less than it costs to have a custom fiberglass stock made by Armtec. The cost of the tooling alone goes a long way to the purchase price. They will make it to the weight you require. They will ensure the bedding is correct.

The degree of precision required to mate the action screw holes makes it very difficult to do by hand. If the holes are not aligned perfectly to the action, the recoil will snap the screws.

Keep in mind that a heavy 30" + barrel puts tremendous strain on the action if it's free-floated. I have yet to see for myself that a free float is better than a proper full length bedding job.

On the other hand, if you pull it off, you have one more thing to be proud of.

User

414Gates, thank you for your opinion it is much appreciated..what I did not mentioned is that I do have a friend Johan Greyling who is a Master Gunsmith that alwas mentor me and assist me in difficult projects, I do have access to industrial machines like milling machines , surface grinders, lathes and specialized equipment to enable me to complete such a project .

Still it will be great to get members involved in this build as well,,,I really hope members will take up my request and participate in this practical long range chassis build rifle for fun shooting purposes,..

User

At this stage of the planning phase I have two options in regards to suitable actions.

.338 WM Howa barreled action
    Pro`s:
    Affordable
    Reaming to desire caliber will be possible
    Register as a licensed rifle is just a formality./usual application to possess a license for a fire arm with sport shooting status.
    Pressures of chamber is in specs.

Cons:
    I will have to sell the original HOWA .338 barrel . I need to fit a 32" inch Brux or Bartlein heavy Palma /Sportster straight taper barrel.

I have options in regards to the rifling twist ration:
    1:9.5
    1:10
    1:12

I still need to choose a bullet for this rifle build. The bullet needs to have a high BC , but needs to be affordable since it is a fun shoot rifle and will be used at club shoots as well as by friends and myself .

The Remington 700 long action magnum:

Pro`s
    It is a proven action all over the world .
    Many long range rifle builds are done on this action.
    It can be acquired as a donor rifle in SA to register it on the license system like the HOWA barreled action.
    There are a lot of parts /accessories available in the USA for this rifle/action.
    USA military long range platforms has been build with this action.

Con`s
    It is not as common /available as the Howa brand in SA.
    I would need to buy a complete rifle , do not think it will be available in a barreled action here in SA.

Bullet choices:
    Any suggestions as to what brand/type of bullet you think will be meeting my requirements will be much appreciated.

I need to decide on what type/brand /weight /BC bullet I will be using long before I order the barrel . First choose the bullet then the barrel .

Powder will not be an issue..as 414 Gates indicated there are numerous option in regards to powder from the USA/Sweden /other countries available in SA. I probably will not use SOCHEM powders at all in the reloading of this rile at all.

Members, I really need your input while this build is in the planning phase . A lot of decisions needs to be taken long before I can commence with the technical/mechanical part of the build.

User

Optics:
    Here is another component I need to make decisions about long before the actual build start.
    I would like members to make suggestions in regards to the suitable scope for this rifle .

Let us hear what /why you want to be using a specific scope for such a rifle build??

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Looking at .416 Rigby case capacity :
    Case capacity 7.532 cm3 (116.24 gr H2O)
    404 Jeffery : 7.32 cm3 (113.0 gr H2O)

Not much differences ,
    Hi Gert, not sure where you get your Rigby data from but it is very wrong... a 416 Rigby Norma case holds about 128gr H2O and a Hornady case holds 131gr. This is 15+% more than the 404 (assuming the 404 data is correct) which is a massive difference.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Hi Gert, not sure where you get your Rigby data from but it is very wrong... a 416 Rigby Norma case holds about 128gr H2O and a Hornady case holds 131gr. This is 15+% more than the 404 (assuming the 404 data is correct) which is a massive difference.
    Thank you kindly for the correction, it is much appreciated I would not like to chase the .338 Lapua at all..there is a vast difference between the Lapua and the .338 Imperial Magnum...itus a totally different case than the 404 Jeffery case..I should not even used the 338 Lapua in this thread

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast