Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Default Re: .338 Imperial Magnum Chassis fun project

Gert, what Messor and I meant by buying the WM and shooting it, is to buy the barreled action, drop it in the chassis that you'll build and first shoot that combo as a WM. then LATER rebarrel to the Imperial.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Gert, what Messor and I meant by buying the WM and shooting it, is to buy the barreled action, drop it in the chassis that you'll build and first shoot that combo as a WM. then LATER rebarrel to the Imperial.
    Pirate, why did you and Messor did not say so the first time????
    And there I was thinking you and Messor want me to buy a complete new great hunting rig in the special on a Howa 1500 model advertised on one of the Howa retailer`s web pages...man that is a great deal for R15000 with a lot of extras ...

( There is a possibility of a friend of mine wanting to sell his .300 Win Mag at a good price if some of you are interested, I will be able to get more information in regards to the price he wants for it, I have seen this rifle it really is a beauty)

User

Chassis build planning: I have decided to do the butt stock by using a aluminum casting procedure. I will make use of a lost foam casting technique with the cavities being done with a core sand forming method.

I will be using high grade aluminum ingots for the casting procedures to ensure a compact aluminum structure through out the butt stock frame .

This will give me the opportunity to be able to cast extremely fine tolerances as well as very, very fine surface texture with a solid aluminum compounded result, without porosity in the aluminum structure at all.

The weights will be cast according to the cavity patterns in the butt stock . Even the holes for the adjusting screws will be cast to ensure tight threading tolerances.

Every piece of the butt stock will be cast in aluminum ..

acc-mdt-chassis-09_1024x1024_1 (1).jpg

User

Information to members who are as much interested in the caliber `design`s based on the 404 Jeffery as the parent case:
    Another caliber I found based recently on the 404 Jeffery case as a parent case: .33 Nosler caliber. the most recent caliber designed to fit this category.
    The .338 Imperial Magnum still is the leader in this 404 Jeffery parent case based designed calibers.
    The .33 Nosler is the youngest and most modern caliber yet...
    Another reason why I personally perceive the .404 Jeffery/10.75 X 73 mm case as the perfect case .
    https://www.nosler.com/33-nosler#:~:...less%20powder.

User

Had a discussion with the person who mill a complete chassis for a Howa rifle . During this discussion the person mentioned that to make the .338 Imperial Magnum fit into a Howa .338 barreled action will need to make extensive milling work on the Howa action and even remove material from the feeding ramp.

Not a good idea, if reaming the chamber to .338 Imperial Magnum dimensions it still would have been a feasible option, but not milling away the feeding ramp... not with a high pressure caliber like a .338 Imperial Magnum caliber. So I am back to the drawing board in regards to the action part of the chassis.
    The butt stock and fore-end milling/casting project still continue ....

I will have to source a suitable action or buy a Mojet action, or get a Remington 700 long bolt action .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Had a discussion with the person who mill a complete chassis for a Howa rifle . During this discussion the person mentioned that to make the .338 Imperial Magnum fit into a Howa .338 barreled action will need to make extensive milling work on the Howa action and even remove material from the feeding ramp.

Not a good idea, if reaming the chamber to .338 Imperial Magnum dimensions it still would have been a feasible option, but not milling away the feeding ramp... not with a high pressure caliber like a .338 Imperial Magnum caliber. So I am back to the drawing board in regards to the action part of the chassis.
    The butt stock and fore-end milling/casting project still continue ....

I will have to source a suitable action or buy a Mojet action, or get a Remington 700 long bolt action .
    Gert, Mojet were running a special on their actions, maybe look them up. They look very solid

User

BBT, yes, thank you, much appreciated , I tried contacting them today, but nobody answers a phone..will speak to him tomorrow and see what I can find out.

User

Update: Members, I am still searching for a magnum length accurate action, it needs to be something like a BAT/ Stiller /Reminton Long Magnum action, or any action long enough, magnum length and magnum bolt face . I do not want to use a Mauser type of action since the accuracy will be compromised.

I will be getting the required action next year ...so I have enough time to commence with casting work on the butt stock and front part of the chassis barrel guard.

I already have a crucible, gas forge , I did manage to get green sand and will use water glass and CO2 to make the core sand . This cast will be extremely accurate including all the bolt holes and thread areas.

This chassis design is loosely based on the MDT type of chassis. It surely will be a fun project..

In the meanwhile I am busy building the 6.5 x 55Swedish Mauser/ Mauser 8x 68s, will turn the threads tomorrow on both barrels and ream the PAC-NOR barrel 8x68S chamber completely, it is still 0,002 mm off full reamed specs as not to qualify as a barrel when coming in from the USA.

The Shilen barrel 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is profiled only, it needs to be fully chambered reamed tomorrow and the threads need to be turn on the lathe as well.

User

Some feedback : The .338 Imperial Magnum reamer/go-no go gauges with 140 x Imperial Head stamped brass( 404 Jeffery parent cases) is on it`s way to SA. The re-loading dies will be bought shortly. This is something to look forward to...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7