Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Teach me about shotguns please

Thanks everyone. Now to look for the one I want and then the long wait.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Over & under: Beretta or Browning. If you don't have the money, save until you do. No need to upgrade, and your granchildren will still be able to enjoy them.

The more adjustable the stock, the better. Shotgunning is about how the gun fits you. Do not waste your money, time and ammunition (if you can find it) on a bad fitting gun. Competition guns are heavier than hunters, but the hunters recoil more.

Shotgunning is expensive. The costs of the gun is the least of your worries!

User

... and no pumpactions! They are clumsy, attrociously balanced and ill fitting, and hopelessly too slow to load!

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Over & under: Beretta or Browning. If you don't have the money, save until you do. No need to upgrade, and your granchildren will still be able to enjoy them.

The more adjustable the stock, the better. Shotgunning is about how the gun fits you. Do not waste your money, time and ammunition (if you can find it) on a bad fitting gun. Competition guns are heavier than hunters, but the hunters recoil more.

Shotgunning is expensive. The costs of the gun is the least of your worries!
    Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    ... and no pumpactions! They are clumsy, attrociously balanced and ill fitting, and hopelessly too slow to load!
    Noted, thanks.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Listen to Springer, get one soonest and start shooting, asap, the longer you wait, the more adventures you will be missing out on.

The biggest lie most shotgunners tell themselves is that they will only buy one gun to do everything with.

I started with a Baikal when I was 20, buying shells by the box, because that was all I could afford and today I can honestly say that I'm glad I did that, rather than save up for that dreamy Beretta.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Listen to Springer, get one soonest and start shooting, asap, the longer you wait, the more adventures you will be missing out on.

The biggest lie most shotgunners tell themselves is that they will only buy one gun to do everything with.

I started with a Baikal when I was 20, buying shells by the box, because that was all I could afford and today I can honestly say that I'm glad I did that, rather than save up for that dreamy Beretta.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk
    Could`nt agree more.

Clay Pigeon and or hunting. O/U with multi chokes. Dont get fixed chokes. You will be limited badly for clays.

As for Trap you usually use a full choke. And Skeet open choke. Sporting is a mixed depending on how setup the day.
    Hunting mostly Full and half.

Semi choked you shoot trap and skeet. But there is good reason why no one uses them in Olympic as well.

As the Shotgun needs to fit you. The stock is not straight back. There is a cant as well as a drop to the rear stock. This needs to match you.

As you look down the barrel slightly different between trap and skeet. Very important to understand this before just buying.

As you will miss clays all day if this in not understood or correct for you.

User

Shooty....What you are saying is true to a point or more accurately , true to a particular persons shooting style.

My humble opinions.
    .You do not need full choke for trap or down the line. Modified or improved modified does the job.
    .Yes,open or cylinder choke is nice for skeet but using modified choke and no.9 shot is not a major disadvantage unless you are really chasing a high score.
    .Wingshooting ...fixed chokes in modified and full are perfect in 99% of shoots.

A common choke configeration in fixed choke O/U guns is modified and full , so no prob there.

Fit of a shotgun is,as you say,crucial. BUT most guns can be made to fit in a very useable way by simply shortening the stock or extending the stock , both easily done. This shortening or lenghening seldom needs to exceed 20mm.

All of the above is applicable to the keen clay target shooter or hunter. Start looking for provincial or national colours and you will need to up the equipment stakes.

User

Marius, I made the above comments somewhat tongue in cheek. However, only somewhat. Allow me to explain my differing point of view.

There are two types of shotguns: one used well, and one rusting in a vault.

It is ok to romanticize "when we were young" shotgun acquisitions, but that world no longer exists. 1) to buy and license two different shotguns will probably take two years, and 2) there are no more places left to go shoot your box of shells.

A shotgun today is well used when you a) join a club, b) murder those clays, and c) occasionally wingshoot. Clubs will be clubs, but I can assure you pitching with a baikal and a box of shells won't last for long. Yet, it allready took a year to get to the shoot with the baikal.

Then there's the accessories, and the weekends / competitions away, and the fundraisers for the club... Shotgunning today is a "capital intensive sport", and the only place left for the venerable baikal and a box of shells from the lgs, is disappearing.

And then theres breakage. The beretta and browning can be fixed, and maintains fairly good dealer support.

I know many an owner of a "deceased estate" shotgun. They're all safe queens, and mostly broken, whilst the beretta and brownings are at the range.

Marius, I'm in the same boat. I've spent about 2 months reading, watching videos, asking pros and looking at OU shotguns. Eventually decided on a Miroku MK70 and bought it a couple of days ago.

By all accounts the Miroku is on par with the Brownings and Berettas, and in Europe they cost roughly the same as well. In SA, for some reason the Mirokus are considerably cheaper than the Brownings and Berettas. So for me it was an easy choice. They are made in the same factory as the entry level brownings. (Miroku builds the machine made brownings)

From what I've seen, Berettas start at about 40k, Brownings at about 35k and you can get Mirokus from about 25k.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast