Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 25-06 Howa question

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I processed some animals for a friend who hunts with a 25-06. I was amazed to see that half the animal was already minced, before I had cut it off the bone
    You would also be amazed to see how much propellant it uses to create that magical trick.

User

If you are not opposed to reduced loads, I know many hunters are, a load of ±34gr S335 (with a Dacron filler) will propel a 120gr bullet at ±2300 fps. This should make a good bushveld load for smaller antelope and pigs, even with cup and core bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    If you are not opposed to reduced loads, I know many hunters are, a load of ±34gr S335 (with a Dacron filler) will propel a 120gr bullet at ±2300 fps. This should make a good bushveld load for smaller antelope and pigs, even with cup and core bullets.
    I would not use that load/cal combo by intent - choice for pig or Impala. Sure it will work, but I feel it will be so borderline - pretty much a 243 or a .357 carbine with shitty bullets to make it work...............................or fail if it hits anything like a big boar or Impala rams shoulder bones.
    Nice toy, nice cheap plinking, but I think not for mentioned game by choice, intent.
    If it was all you had and you had to make it work , well..........................

Edit- some time later.
    On re reading your post, I see you used the word "should", I assume this means you are not proclaiming it a "good to go", but more so as a possibility.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have considered it, but there are issues with these reduced loads, especially if they get closer to 50% case fill. If this kind of load was my intention, I would rather go and shorten the chamber, reducing case capacity enough to keep the load density up and omit the Dacron filler.. A 250 Savage sized cartridge may be too short to feed from the mag, so something slightly longer like a 25-08 wildcat may do the trick. It would be much less of a hassle to just swap it for a 308. Just the gunsmithing cost of a conversion should be more than the possible extra cost of such a swop.

Another consideration is barrel life. A 25-06 is not known for it's long barrel life. Reduced loads may or may not extend the barrel life, that is something I have not seen conclusive data about. I do know what kind of barrel life to expect from a 308, and the 25-06 will definitely not get close to that, even with reduced loads.

So at present I think the same amount of S335 in a 308 case will yield much better results, especially on the tougher species like kudu and pigs. Let the 25-06 go to someone who needs the flat trajectory for the appropriate game species.

User

@ Treeman, consider how many animals you’ve shot with the 270 and monolithics at much higher speed than the 3000ft/s I advocated AR to load in the 25-06.

@AR, I hear you, creating a bushveld cartridge does make a lot of sense, but as I have it you already have 2 projects for short range bushveld rifles, the 308 and 303, you don’t need an army of them :)

Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know.

User

@ Treeman, consider how many animals you’ve shot with the 270 and monolithics at much higher speed than the 3000ft/s I advocated AR to load in the 25-06. Yes but generally not at 30 - 50 m mentioned and when I have I have much blood shot meat.

I think I was commenting negatively on loading them down slower with a a 120 gr bullet. If we must it would be a better caliber at full loads with mono's than loaded down with what ever.

In regard to shooting bigger game, mmmm Ya, can be done, but yusslike its far from ideal at the 30-50 m AR mentions, even with mono's, the bone fragmentation will be horrendous indeed. Blood shot meat will be plenty full.
    So yes it can be done, should it be first choice? Or even 2nd - 3 rd, 4 th choice, I think not.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    @ Treeman, consider how many animals you’ve shot with the 270 and monolithics at much higher speed than the 3000ft/s I advocated AR to load in the 25-06.

@AR, I hear you, creating a bushveld cartridge does make a lot of sense, but as I have it you already have 2 projects for short range bushveld rifles, the 308 and 303, you don’t need an army of them :)

Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know.
    Remember, this belongs to my son, not me. One day I hope he will have his own guns and feed them all himself. So having a duplicate of one of mine is not much of an issue. We could also transfer the whole shorty 308 project over to him, then I can borrow his rifle for a change.

We are busy with his competency application, so with some luck he could licence his own toys soon.

User

I put the rifle up for sale at a bargain price:

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...wa-25-06-Rifle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2