Thread: Trigger Reset

User

Default Trigger Reset

Just some thoughts I have had over the last couple of days. I wonder whether we as Glock shooters are becoming what 1911 shooters were twenty or so years ago naysayers of everything different.

We seem to focus very much on the trigger reset sometimes almost to the exclusion of everything else. I know I have been guilty of this and it didn't really occur to me until recently. Before I got my first Glock I wasn't a big fan of the system and as a 1911 shooter hated the triggers on them. It took me a lot of practise and thousands of rounds before I was able to exploit the Glock like a 1911. Now I have found since I started shooting Glocks I do the same thing as when I shot 1911s. I shoot something else and if after a few rounds it isn't the same I often immediately don't like it.

The M&P is a classic example of this irrational fixation. Read any internet forum and generally the biggest gripe is the lack of a positive reset. I have only shot 2 and granted they had both received small trigger jobs but while the reset wasn't Glock firm the break was far cleaner. Khumba made the point to me that when he compared the M&P trigger to his 1911 the reset was almost the same yet few would disagree that a Wilson Combat 1911 has a fantastic trigger.

I know that Miculek (sp?) points out the importance of a proper reset but then again that is shooting a D/A revolver with a much longer reset than most DA/SA or SFA pistols.

I recently played with a H&K P30 and immediately noticed that the reset was long which would ordinarily make it a no go for me. But the rest of the ergonomics were far better than any of my Glocks. I suppose my point is that while I and many I know were happy to learn to shoot a Glock after using something different because of the benefits of the system shouldn't we be willing to learn another system if that too can offer us benefit. Just a thought.

Ramble over

Default Re: Trigger Reset

Waaay too true - our arrogance will unseat us - Glock is good, not the best, only good.

I have handled the M&P on two occasions and both were only in dry format. The first time was about 18 months ago and way before this forum even existed and thus the whole discussion about trigger reset. The second time was about a week ago after the discussion about trigger reset.

The first time on handling it the trigger reset or somewhat lack of it did not even occur to me. The second time I deliberately looked at this issue and my feeling was that it is different to the Glock but not something I would not be able to adjust to and that as is I might have left as is and just shoot it without even doing modifications.

Maybe we as Glock 'cult' followers have become somewhat of 'snobs', but I personally see that there are options available which could do the job and that Glock is not the best but just good, very good and very sensible for the SA situation. I still have my reservations about the sensibility of the M&P for SA. I am not knocking for example the M&P in the quality / durability / reliability / functionality department, just reserve my view about sensibility and this is based on market penetration and availability of parts and backup service.

Corne;

By 'sensibility' do you mean the fact that the M&P and S&W may not (yet, at least) have the support structure in terms of parts, holsters, spare magazines, etc. within SA as other makes / models / brands? Given the difficulty and expense of owning a legal SD handgun here I can see that this would, indeed, be an issue to be considered, and while I certainly am no expert on SA issues such as these, I can say that S&W is making a huge effort to produce and support the M&P in the states.

As for the trigger reset thing, it is a big issue for me and while I like some things about the M&P I am in the process of having the trigger worked over on my M&P .45 while I am here in SA. Hopefully I will find it better when I return than when I left, and if it is not, I am not sure I will keep it. For some this mushy reset is not a big deal, but I must say that it is for me...then again, perhaps more trigger time will change my mind...after all I have only run about 400 or so rounds through the pistol so far. in the case of my particular specimen, all of my 1911s. including my 30 year old Wilson Master Combat have more distinct resets than it does.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Ikor,

Yes, sensible regarding parts and accessories availability. Yes, I know Khumba has given us the assurance that parts are available and decently priced, the marked penetration and general availability is not the same than with Glock. If you ask me would I recommend it to someone, I would say that I would not disagree with the purchase of it. Putting finance and licensing issues aside, I would go right now and buy one but it will not immediately replace my G17 but rather complement it at this point in time but from what I have 'seen', I would be prepared to defend my life with it with a high reliability factor attached to it...on the same level as with my Glock.

And yes, I would say that you could classify me as part of the Glock 'cult' followers.... grn1

User

Ikor how do you find the reset on your P2000 LEM? It has been a little while since I played with one but I recall it being fairly distinct but fairly long. Do you feel it makes a noticeable difference in your shot to shot speed?

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Ikor how do you find the reset on your P2000 LEM? It has been a little while since I played with one but I recall it being fairly distinct but fairly long. Do you feel it makes a noticeable difference in your shot to shot speed?
    The LEM reset is relatively short and very distinct in my pistol, but longer than the Glock. It probably does slow down 'split' times if I used a timer to see which was faster, but...for me at least...it works well and feels good. I have come to prefer a not too light trigger with a 'strong' trigger reset, and I actually don't mind a bit of creep in my trigger, either. The 'extreme' DA revolver shooters have been known to cut three coils off of a S&W trigger return spring and ADD them to the standard spring for more 'drive' on the return, so the desire for a strong and distinct reset is not so rare I think. The LEM does take some getting used to, however, and some shooters just never like it at all.

Maybe my preference comes from so many years of teaching, because I can say with some certainly that beginners will learn to control multiple shots sooner if their pistol has such a reset, and stock triggers are mostly all I shoot these days except when using my 1911s. I would actually have preferred an HK45 with LEM to the M&P I bought but really could not justify the additional cost for what amounts to a range toy and experimental platform for me. I have a friend who shot my stock M&P and owns one in 9mm. He missed the reset twice in three magazines with the .45 because it was so indistinct, so maybe I just got a particularly mushy one. Sending it back to S&W for a $100+ trigger job is probably something I won't do as...so far at least...I can't say I like it enough to spend the bucks for that, but then again, I teach a lot with the M&P...almost never with the H&Ks. The G21 and 21SF are just too damned big and blocky for me to do well with unless I have two hands on the pistol, and a handgun that requires that is one I will not use or keep.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thanks for the info ikor. I need to play with an LEM again some time. I only shot one once and I think my negative reaction was because I kept expecting it to be a Glock. Need to shoot one with an open mind. The last time I dryfired one I enjoyed it more. I really would like to check out the Combat Competition LEM hybrid.

User

My take on this reset issue is most probably the same as Hilton Yam's (after reading his revue on the M&P45 - and I must caveat that I definitely do not put myself in the same league as Hilton) in that I do not rely that much on getting a split reset with either of the pistols I shoot and rather rely subconsciously (?) on over reset. And because I do not shoot that much or train that hard that will maybe keep me in the SS classification for time to come and I am very OK with that.

This over reset issue is not by all means all bad in competition as any one who has shot with Bill Wilson can confirm - Bill shoots in a style where he releases his trigger finger totally from contact with the trigger with each shot - most probably all of you know about his competition cv - it all comes back to repetition and muscle mem imo.

I shoot 1911, Glock and M&P and I have not had missed resets with any of them since I got the Wilson 1911 in 2002. Before I got the 1911 I just shot Glock. After I got the 1911 I shot Glock and 1911 and now also the M&P.

After I did the home trigger job on my M&P and the question about trigger reset came up I compared my M&P and Wilson 1911 and my Glock 17 and I found the reset on the M&P and the 1911 to be much more similar than compared to the Glock. Both the 1911 and M&P (although different trigger systems) have a short and light but distinct reset. The Glock has an announced and longerreset.

I definitely do not find my modified M&P's to have mushy resets but I can see that people may find the rests on unmodified M&P's lacking clear distinction.

I think (this means it's purely my opinion based on my experience) if one relies on a distinct/announced reset (like on a Glock) it will be more difficult to shoot the M&P and 1911 as well as one shoots the Glock.

My observations from my personal experience is that I shoot my 1911 better than my Glock (although I am currently classified as IDPA/SS with both my 1911 and Glock) and I shoot my M&P9 better than I shoot my G17 in competition. I also shoot my 1911 and M&P more accurately than I do my G17.

On the spares issue I can say that there are currently two importers of the M&P that I am aware of and the one I support has spares. The spares issue does not bother me same as it did not bother me when I bought my G17 in 1987 (most probably on of the first ones available in retail in SA) with no spares and no holsters readily available at that time. The only dedicated holster that was available for the Glock was the Glock belt slide holster and I picked up a Sig belt slide leather El-Paso that fitted OK.