Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Original Rigby Rifle. What is this?

The .275 Rigby, one of my childhood letdowns, I do not know what I was expecting, but!

I grew up reading, reading books like most people change socks. Loved the old went to African and ....... tales. In many of the books the .404 is mentioned often with the words sweet, magnificent and delightful in near association. I still love this caliber from those reads.

Another rifle mentioned often was the .275 Rigby, a beautiful weapon used for so much and always brought along with the .404 and other such wonderful creations. Sentences like" The little .275 performed beyond ...." and " ' the Rigby was a dream to....." "he took everything from ...... to ....... with little Rigby"
    In short it became a magical caliber to me and as a child that magic had no boundaries. I would own one one day. When I came of age and then financial ability, I also started reading factual books and things like cartridges of the world etc.
    Imagine my disappointment when I eventually realized the 275 Rigby was a mere 7x57, just a 7x57.
    Also a great caliber, one I admired as well, but still nothing like the .275 Rigby.

Oh that .275 Rigby that was a great caliber indeed, or was it a great rifle? Lived the plains of Kenya and Africa with it I did. Loved that rifle to bits.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    In short it became a magical caliber to me and as a child that magic had no boundaries.
    Back in 1989 I bought a 7x57 and fully expected it to be much deadlier than the .308 win I was using back then. This believe stemmed from listening to older people talking in glowing terms about this caliber and from reading magazines that stated that the 7mm Mauser punched above its weight class due to the high SD of its, long for caliber, bullets.

At the same time I started reloading and was very disappointed when I started studying my reloading manual. Turns out that on paper the 7x57 couldn't really do anything that the .308 Winchester could not do as well or better. Using it on game confirmed this. Slowly it dawned on me, there is no such thing as a magical cartridge, there is no such thing as a cartridge that punch above its weight class. Twenty years of guiding clients after antelope ranging in size from steenbok to eland and more than thirty years of hunting, and killing several thousand animals, with various calibers has confirmed this for me. Your cartridge choice, within reasonable limits, has very little influence on your ability to kill game cleanly. I have hunted extensively with the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 6.5x55, the 7x57, the .300 win mag and the 9.3x62. Currently I am using a .375 H&H, a 9.3x62, a 7x57 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. If I have to go out tomorrow morning and hunt an antelope, any antelope, I would happily do it with any of those calibers.

The quality of the bullet you shoot and your ability to place it accurately has far more influence on your success than the cartridge you are shooting the bullet from. In a way it is sad, the magic of cartridges does not exist for me anymore. Now, when I sit around a campfire or a bar counter at a hunting venue with hunters (or when I read a comment on a forum), and someone begins to proclaim the supernatural abilities of a certain cartridge, my first thought is that, that person has very little experience of various cartridges (and probably little hunting experience) in a hunting environment.

Depressing, I tell you.

User

Mr Stone, 3 of the 4 rifles you now hunt with shoot classic cartridges so I think you still have some unconscious belief in the magic.😉

User

Makes me think of a quote I read somewhere of advice given to British sportsmen coming out to Africa in the colonial days:

"In Africa you need 3 rifles: a .275, a .375 and a .475"

Banned

I see some at RSA 30K
    and then some at
    https://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/ne...tion-1-4510252

Thats a lot of money!

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    couldn't really do anything that the .308 Winchester could not do as well or better. Using it on game confirmed this. Slowly it dawned on me, there is no such thing as a magical cartridge, there is no such thing as a cartridge that punch above its weight class.
    Except the 308 of course!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Except the 308 of course!

Banned

This is the signature of a member of an Aussie forum member

If you use a 275 Rigby you shoot a better class of animal than with the common German 7X57.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post

If you use a 275 Rigby you shoot a better class of animal than with the common German 7X57.
    That man knows things.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post

A bit shameless me thinks, they merely stole the cartridge and printed it in imperial.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast