Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Accurate load for a pistol - pie in sky or a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Accuracy potential with handguns to 10 meters can border on miraculous when you practice enough.

This is irrespective of the load, the velocity, or what components you use.

You say you have some revolvers - see if you can get the book by Ed McGivern. His 5 shots on a playing card in 0.4-something seconds still stands 89 years later.

Interesting facts :

1. revolvers have the capability of shooting faster than semi-auto's because they don't have to wait for slide lockup
    2. a heavy revolver trigger spring shoots faster than a light spring
    This is amazing shooting, Bob Munden,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Whats a Roni ????
    An "attachment" or "Frame" where a self loading pistol fits into "converting" it into a carbine. Pistol has same barrel length, trigger etc. The platform from shooting it is just getting more stable as now you have a stock to your shoulder for a three point contact hold on the weapon and also a lot of people does not flinch with it as recoil is shifted from your hands to the shoulder via the stock. It cannot make the pistol in itsef more accurate, but it is shot more accurately in general because of above reasons.

I am so seriously tempted to try Bushpig hunting in the mealies with the Roni and a Glock, but up to now sanity prevailed as I think a 9 mm is not enough gun for Bushpig. But broadside on warthog with 124 gr Winchester Rangers down them with ease and a good bloodtrail to follow. The hollow points leave a big entrance wound for blood to spurt out.

User

The thing the late Bob Munden was known for was speed, not accuracy. Most of his speed shooting was done with blanks or shot, not bullets. Still very impressive.

With a decent load, most shooters should be able to shoot a ragged hole at 10m with a normal service pistol (rested, off course). I have seen some of the groups shot by GS'er 1911 with his Bul 9mm Classic Division pistol. Pretty impressive.

I think most service and EDC pistols should be able to do a 2" group at 25m, but 4" should be better than needed for most serious applications. So if your ammo is reliable and groups within 4" at 25m you are good to go. If it doesn't the cause would most likely lie with the shooter's abilities, not the equipment. If you are over 40, the ability to see your open sights may be a valid excuse. RDS for you my friend!

I have shot groups from a PCC (16" barrel) with my normal cast PC range ammo. It grouped into 1" at 30m. That translates into about 3MOA, which is pretty impressive considering the bullets are home made in volume. I suspect that many pistols will shoot close to that, if they could be held and aimed as well as the carbine. Clamping it in a Roni or similar conversion frame would be a good way to find out.

Having said all that, if your ammo feeds reliably and shoots to the same accuracy standards that you are capable of, it is good enough.

I only stumbled across the Bob Munden video by chance. What impressed me most was how the mechanical single action revolver could cycle faster than a semi pistol. And with some accuracy, even if it were just a show

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Did the cameraman stand there while the bloke fired off shots to the left and right of him?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    Did the cameraman stand there while the bloke fired off shots to the left and right of him?
    Google camera stands, use full item.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Google camera stands, use full item.
    How did the camera operator zoom and pan during the recording? Were remote control cameras a thing with local news during the 80s? Now that I think of it, there was a reporter who had a guy shoot him with a rifle while wearing a kevlar vest, so this is very possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    How did the camera operator zoom and pan during the recording? Were remote control cameras a thing with local news during the 80s? Now that I think of it, there was a reporter who had a guy shoot him with a rifle while wearing a kevlar vest, so this is very possible.
    I only see zoom in and out before and after shots, plenty walk in do needed walk out time, but since he would be using pepper shot for that scene,and it was the 80ties, its likely health and safety found a piece of ply board to crouch behind good to go.

User

An opinion on a accurate load somewhere in the middle.

Banned

I got one of those S/W in 357, really a nice gun - very pretty when put beside my Black Hawk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2