Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Armed robbery footage on PTA freeway.

pcc, the fact is that they are BANKS. It might be more convenient for THEM to go cashless but there are plenty of people that still use cash, so you must cater to the client.
    As GAZZAMCK said we have some of the highest charges so the banks should act like a bank and deliver the service we pay for.

User

I can't argue about bank charges, the banks can do that. Banking systems and the use of cash to trade have been the same since forever. Newer banks who advertise reduced costs, have dropped cash handling to reduce their costs (successfully). I won't name the biggest one Capitec. The fact remains that we are a cash heavy society. Getting back to the original topic... The most important part of my diatribe is pertinent.:
    Whileall the above sounds very much like robberies can be blamed on thebank or the client, the reality is that we live in a violent society,where poverty is widespread, many perpetrators have some militarytype training, illegal (note illegal) automatic firearms are readilyavailable, the police are stretched to the limit, underpaid and notmotivated. This coupled to the fact that we have a cash basedeconomy, makes the cash carrying client an attractivetarget.

Finally,when the robbery occurs, the robbers have all the advantage. Theyhave the intel, they are well armed, they have the advantage ofsurprise and can pick the time and place to pounce. They are not lawabiding regarding firearms and cars used. They will use violencewithout conscience. They are not afraid of the police. The chances ofbeing caught are remote. The reward far outweighs the risk.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pcc View Post
    I can't argue about bank charges, the banks can do that. Banking systems and the use of cash to trade have been the same since forever. Newer banks who advertise reduced costs, have dropped cash handling to reduce their costs (successfully). I won't name the biggest one Capitec.
    Interested why you say capitech is the most cashless bank? From my observations on a Friday or month end the capitech ATMs seem to be the ones with the longest lines of wage earners lining up to draw cash (I assume their entire wages too)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Interested why you say capitech is the most cashless bank? From my observations on a Friday or month end the capitech ATMs seem to be the ones with the longest lines of wage earners lining up to draw cash (I assume their entire wages too)

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    The "new" banks do not offer the traditional teller facility. The branches are cash-less. Hence no protective measures are necessary for their branches = reduced cost. Yes, they still use ATM's with the associated security costs.

User

On an associated point, I cannot help but be more and more concerned by the fact that an ever-increasing number of these types of robberies (along with the CIT heists, bombing of ATMs etc) seem to be occurring, often in broad daylight and most often with numerous bystanders and witnesses. In addition, as these crimes are reported on, with seemingly little or no consequences for the perps (viz. SAPS never appear to get to the scene in time, no STF unit to focus on catching these gangs, no real political statements being made to the public that this is a priority crime and xxx is being done to catch and prosecute the perpetrators), that more and more criminally minded people will become more and more bold and will also "try their luck" with these types of crimes.... and so things will quickly begin to spiral more and more out of control (to the detriment of the law-abiding public)...

User

Surely these crimes should have required the establishment of special units to investigate, catch and prosecute the perps.... or am I missing something!? I can't really recall any of the relevant politicians, the Min of Police, Police Commissioner or any others from saying or doing anything to curb and reduce this scourge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3