Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Excellent 3 Gun at CDPC today!

Just a word of congrats to Johan and the team who put the 3 gun together today.

We started late mainly because some of the permanent props on the rang had proved to be not that permanent, and needed to be moved back into place. I was concerned that we would be heading for an unofficial night shoot - as 3 gun courses of fire are generally longer with more reactive targets that take longer to reset.
    This was definately not the case and we were done by 15h45. AWSOME! 7 Stages shot about 160 round fired.
    I especially enjoyed the combined hand gun long gun stages, and think we should do more of these.
    Did not enjoy so much having to transition to handgun to finish one of the rifle stages due to a jam on the rifle (self induced) which I could not clear. . .
    Mag catch lever - not the paddle ROFL! Private joke for my detail.
    Really had an excellent shoot which was great FUN!

Thanks also to my detail who were efficent as ever! SSP,Thorkind, Dr Dave (the PE king), Tommy, and the shotgun ninja aka the hobit, it was all good! Thanks also for the loan on the equipment - feel a bit like the poor cousin.
    That rifle is just sooo sweet, you are a luck man!!

If you did not make the shoot today you lost out!

User

Default Re: Excellent 3 Gun at CDPC today!

GG - home alone???? Oh sure, the guns are all clean too..........

I agree, it was fun today!! Got myself thoroughly knotted on the one shottie stage - obvious rootcause --> too little follow up practise after the Rob Haught course a while back.

B3

Hi there guys,

It was an absolutely fantastic 3 Gun shoot yesterday. Really enjoyed using Clem's Saiga - first time I really shot with a Shotgun and absolutely fell in love with it - even with the funny loading that we did :) We only afterwards figured out that you don't have to keep the bolt open manually while loading the magazine.... What was also nice about the shoot was that it was the first shoot that there was a transition between long guns and handguns in one shoot - one had to keep all ones "varkies" in one pen!. Thank you Mark for the Coke it was a life saver :) Both Paul and myself were pretty finished last night - looking forward to the 3 gun SADPA League.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Fantastic fun. HellKitty and I had a blast...

Thanks to Clem for the loan (to both of us) of his Saiga12. And thanks to Armed Preacher for pointing out, after the shooting was over, that the Saiga does have a bolt holdopen catch... woulda made the reloading a million times easier...

The multi-gun stages were stupendous, but we need to work on the CoFs for these to avoid having to 'make safe' in the middle of a CoF whilst the timer is running. It actually makes the range less safe, rather than safer. It also doesn't even cliosely approximate reality where, if a firearm ceases functioning or runs out of caps you would just abandon it. If the firearm can't be dropped into a slung position, it should be placed facing in a safe direction with the safety on.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Paul I feel you make a good point here.
    safety ON and put it down facing a safe direction. All that is needed.
    I had to do this when shooting the rifle. LM became US placed on the ground and transitioned to HG - just that easy!

My view is this, while I understand in the battlefield pick up stage the gun would be loaded with an unknown number of rounds, the course of fire should have been designed in such a way that you ran dry when the gun was to be grounded. Having to reload it and then unload it was retarded. Firstly, if it was still loaded, why would you put it down in the first place, secondly if you picked up the gun where did you get the spare mag from? The explanation I heard was that you unloaded the gun to prevent its use by a criminal. This is spurious and contrived at best.

In addition, what was the point of the multigun rules?

I saw the most appaling use or non use of cover, shotgun mag cap rules ignored, rifle mag caps ignored, no concealment... etc.

If we are going to do it, lets do it properly.

Having said that I thought it was well organised particularly in the light of the difficulties posed by the range being shuffled. (Which was a good thing)
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

A brilliant shoot!!!!
    The first time I've used a shotgun and handgun on the same Cof. It would be nice to be able to transition from one to the other and leaving the choice of which and when to the shooter. (I realise this could be DQ city, but I think it would make practical sense.) eg. If I run dry on the shotty, continue with handgun until I have all round cover, to reload the shotgun, and then continue with the shotgun.

All in all, it was a load of fun, thanks to everyone who organised it, and the beers and kuier after was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    My view is this, while I understand in the battlefield pick up stage the gun would be loaded with an unknown number of rounds, the course of fire should have been designed in such a way that you ran dry when the gun was to be grounded. Having to reload it and then unload it was retarded. Firstly, if it was still loaded, why would you put it down in the first place, secondly if you picked up the gun where did you get the spare mag from? The explanation I heard was that you unloaded the gun to prevent its use by a criminal. This is spurious and contrived at best.

In addition, what was the point of the multigun rules?

I saw the most appaling use or non use of cover, shotgun mag cap rules ignored, rifle mag caps ignored, no concealment... etc.

If we are going to do it, lets do it properly.

Having said that I thought it was well organised particularly in the light of the difficulties posed by the range being shuffled. (Which was a good thing)
    Totally agree. Multi-gun rules are in place, so no excuses for poor form or interpretation. The basics still apply, especially shooting from cover.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast