Default How many shots will you get out of a springer pellet gun

Realistically speaking how many shots will you get out of a springer pellet gun before it needs a service.

I'm a prepper so this pellet gun will sit in the safe until the SHTF and obviously you won't have anyone to service it in a SHTF scenario. So I'm just curious how many shots I will get out of it.

It's a Gamo Shadow DX 4.5mm.

https://www.gamo.co.za/gamo-shadow-dx-4-5mm-air-rifle

Default How many shots will you get out of a springer pellet gun

It will be in order of 10’s of thousands. Just buy a spare spring and gas washer if you’re concerned about longevity. And don’t do the dieseling thing by putting oil in back of pellet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    It will be in order of 10’s of thousands. Just buy a spare spring and gas washer if you’re concerned about longevity. And don’t do the dieseling thing by putting oil in back of pellet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ah that's excellent news, quite a bit more than I thought, just need to buy more pellets now :)
    How easy is it to replace the spring and washer yourself?

User

Default Re: How many shots will you get out of a springer pellet gun

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Ah that's excellent news, quite a bit more than I thought, just need to buy more pellets now :)
    How easy is it to replace the spring and washer yourself?
    Its not that difficult but you need a spring compressor or be prepared to lose an eye. Look up how to make one on the net. You also then need to know how your specific rifle comes apart. The gamos have a trigger that slides into the compression tube and an anti-bear trap device which also has a specific way of going together.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

User

I built my own version of a spring compressor for my BSA Meteor pellet where I use my vice and some laws of leverage. But I'll still advise to wear a decent pair of safety glasses if something goes wrong and spares start to fly around. To make it easier, google the process to do yours and test it before it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    Its not that difficult but you need a spring compressor or be prepared to lose an eye. Look up how to make one on the net. You also then need to know how your specific rifle comes apart. The gamos have a trigger that slides into the compression tube and an anti-bear trap device which also has a specific way of going together.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk
    To be honest if the gun will last for 10's of thousands of rounds I don't think I will need to replace the spring as that is a lot of animals to shoot. But I guess it won't hurt to learn how to do it, you never know something might go wrong and I just might need to replace the spring. Hopefully there are some Youtube videos which go through the process, knowing Youtube there most likely is.

User

My son has a springer that had the spring replaced twice in 10 000 rounds. So around 5 000 rounds per spring seems a good guess for that particular rifle. Others may differ depending on many variables.

A gas ram should give about twice the service life of a steel spring, but I'm not so sure about it's shelf life.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    My son has a springer that had the spring replaced twice in 10 000 rounds. So around 5 000 rounds per spring seems a good guess for that particular rifle. Others may differ depending on many variables.

A gas ram should give about twice the service life of a steel spring, but I'm not so sure about it's shelf life.
    Thanks, will purchase a replacement spring then.
    Yeah that is why I went with a Springer as it can just sit in the safe for years, at least that is what I think.

Banned

My fathers fathers pellet gun shot well as a kid, had spring replaced after perhaps 70 years.
    My other rifle is my birth friends fathers fathers gun, a BSA #1 or something, the old skeleton style first ones made. It still kills a dove at 25 m, but sometimes not. The original spring now throws a rainbow shot at 30 m.
    A new springer should last you a useful longer than you can expect to live, if you not sitting shooting target every day like a school kids first gun.