Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: CZ550 rebarrel options for .40+

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    We have debated this before, but let me ask any way, do you still believe jump affects accuracy?
    You will note that I said "may". This depends on various factors, so results will differ. The question is, how much accuracy do you need on a short-range charge stopper?

Quote Originally Posted by Gundane View Post
    Thanks for all the responses so far, it has made for some interesting reading. With regards to the 458 Express: I’m sure the gunsmith in the UK could get a reamer, but I’m not sure how he would regulate the sights without perhaps sourcing reloading components for the 458 Express. I suppose he could shoot Lott ammo to do it. ...
    The original 3" versions were built on Norma 458 Basic brass. This means the brass was taken out of the manufacturing process just before the trimming and forming steps. Some thing local users did with PMP brass. This should be possible with any make of brass, if there is someone in the factory willing to assist. Alternatively a custom ammo loader should be able to supply the cases. Bertrams in Australia should also be able to supply cases. The Lott case is just about 1/8" shorter, so the Lott ammo should work pretty well. If the sights are adjustable, fine tuning them to the final load would not be too difficult.

Banned

[QUOTE=A-R;1412121]You will note that I said "may". This depends on various factors, so results will differ. The question is, how much accuracy do you need on a short-range charge stopper?
    I did note the "may", you were part of the original discussion those years ago.The question was not stating you wrong, but asking "where are we now on this matter" over time quiet a few conceptions and changes in conceptions have occurred, I am interested in what you have concluded over the last few years of add on knowledge.
    I have started another thread on subject because I would really like to get a feel on general consensuses now versus say 12/15 years ago, I think Q/L has shown many of us a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    .. Why throw 500 grainers when you can throw 600 grainers

This is a 500 grain lead bullet for .458, powder coated, in front of a 600 grain .458 mould.

From left to right is Lott, Watts, .375 H&H.

You can see that blowing out a .375 H&H and keeping the length gives you a Watts.

A 600 grain .458 at 2040 fps is equivalent in energy terms to a 500 grain bullet at 2230 fps, the latter of which is typical for a .500 Jeffery.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I have started another thread on subject because I would really like to get a feel on general consensuses now versus say 12/15 years ago, ...
    In the context of this discussion, accuracy is not affected by shooting 458 Win Mag in a Lott, Lott in a Watts, or Watts in an Express.

The only issue with shooting shorter brass in the chamber is the carbon buildup that will occur, and when a proper length case is inserted, the carbon ring can act as a crimp by preventing bullet release on ignition, raising pressure.

In a pinch, no issue, It's not a good idea to make a habit of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    In the context of this discussion, accuracy is not affected by shooting 458 Win Mag in a Lott, Lott in a Watts, or Watts in an Express.

The only issue with shooting shorter brass in the chamber is the carbon buildup that will occur, and when a proper length case is inserted, the carbon ring can act as a crimp by preventing bullet release on ignition, raising pressure.

In a pinch, no issue, It's not a good idea to make a habit of it.
    Brass brush's only intended real use.
    I have a .22 that must have shot a million shorts through it, or perhaps two million. There was just no way it accepted a .22 long in chamber. I read clearly on action - .22 short/long.
    being a Google junkie and also knowing a guy called Drieppootz I already had the answer......
    brass brush and work it, work it and work it, eventually the traces of the lands and free bore showed.
    Electric drill and brass brush # 2 got the chamber sorted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3