Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bullet Jump and its affect regarding Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Many people have a very one dimensional approach to accuracy.
    Accuracy itself is complicated and it differs from application to application.

I would say this, if you load your bullets with as little as possible runout, and on an accuracy node, and with as low as possible ES and SD values, those bullets will shoot.
    Getting there just requires a bit of experience and ballistic knowledge.
    While generally true, I have personally experienced an instance where a rifle would just not shoot 2 different bullets from a certain make. Changed to another make and it made very small groups. Same reloading and load development procedure. Then I tried those "inaccurate" bullets in another rifle (same caliber and twist, but different make) and the first try produced a cloverleaf. These bullets do actually shoot, just not in the one particular rifle. What the issue is, I don't know. Then I spoke to a friend who shoots more and better than I do. He was surprized that the second bullet worked at all in the particular rifle. He said he had no good experiences in that caliber with them, but they worked at higher velocities from a bigger case. I guess rifles also have their own personal preferences.

User

I've spoken to a few very good gunsmiths in the past, and the general consensus is that "some rifles just don't like some bullets".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    While generally true, I have personally experienced an instance where a rifle would just not shoot 2 different bullets from a certain make. Changed to another make and it made very small groups. Same reloading and load development procedure. Then I tried those "inaccurate" bullets in another rifle (same caliber and twist, but different make) and the first try produced a cloverleaf. These bullets do actually shoot, just not in the one particular rifle. What the issue is, I don't know. Then I spoke to a friend who shoots more and better than I do. He was surprized that the second bullet worked at all in the particular rifle. He said he had no good experiences in that caliber with them, but they worked at higher velocities from a bigger case. I guess rifles also have their own personal preferences.
    This is so true.
    Pre64 had a 6.5 that shot a Nosler boat tail in 140gr (?) only only.

I have a .303 shoots 1 bullet only, common factor this, its generally the female rifles that are prone to this, almost exclusively actually.

Banned

My point is that if the distance ("jump"), measured from the case mouth to the lands is longer than the bullet's bearing surface, accuracy (and precision) will deteriorate significantly.

yes!

User

Theories are all good, until I load my 308 with 110gr bullets and double that weight 220gr bullets and they all group sub MOA.
    It kind of kicks dust in the eyes of theories, or maybe that is just the old 308 win.

User

Theories are all good, until I load my 308 with 110gr bullets and double that weight 220gr bullets and they all group sub MOA.
    It kind of kicks dust in the eyes of theories, or maybe that is just the old 308 win.
    That's just 308s being awesome... but I am of course prejudiced!

Well off course because 308.

Youtube reviewer Gavintoobe just recently showed a 6.5 bullet in 156gr. So effectively 6.5 has gone full circle to a 308match bullet weight.

Banned

Thats why the .308 is the legend it is.
    Mine shot 130 to 180 perfectly.

User

All jokes aside, the 308 is a lesson in internal ballistics few people learn from.
    Short powder column, fast burning powder, shoot whatever weight bullet you want, jump or no jump.

It goes full circle to the benchrest crowd that likes jammed bullets, jammed bullets does what?
    It increases the shot start pressure, increasing the initial burn stage rate, exactly what the 308 does naturally over most other cartridges.

There is a downside, all 308 reloaders think they are clever, when in reality whatever they load shoots.

User

Another, often overlooked reason that bullets got jammed into the lands by Bisley shooters was as a side effect of trying to get as much powder into the 308 case as they could, to extract max performance from the long barrels they used. I had a colleague who shot competitive Bisley that explained this to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast