User

Default Renewing Competency Certificate

Hi All,

I am going to re-new my competency certificate for the first time and I down loaded SAPS 517g checklist. It states that 2 written interview questionnaires must be submitted along with 2 testimonials. Does any one know where you can get the questionnaires from ? Do you down load them somewhere or get them from the DFO ?

Thanks.
    Robert

User

Default Re: Renewing Competency Certificate

The DFO might have his own questionnaire that he will use. He might phone the people and give them a telephonic interview and fill in the questionnaire himself while talking to them or he might go and visit them or he might even insist that they come to him (I've heard of that happening). He might send you away with the questionnaires so you can get your references to complete them. Most of the DFOs want a written testimonial from your spouse or close family member and some want a testimonial from your boss/church minister/doctor/somebody prominent in your community. There is no standard format for these testimonials. Others want a combination of the above or maybe even something that you & I haven't thought of yet.

The only thing consistent about this is that they are inconsistent. I wouldn't stress too much about it. The best advice I can give is to take along a letter from your spouse saying you don't take drugs or drink excessively, you aren't violent and she has no worries about you getting a gun (or better still she fully supports it). Also take along contact details of 2 people that have known you for a long time and will vouch for you getting in the context of getting a gun. If one is your boss/doctor/church minister, so much the better.

User

Thanks for reply BBCT, will do as suggested.
    Regards.
    Robert

Interview questionnaires is that something new? Usually just have to bring 3 reference letters.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Interview questionnaires is that something new? Usually just have to bring 3 reference letters.
    Read the whole paragraph, not just the first sentence. Concentrate on words like "might"........

I forgot to include that today's requirement & procedure at a given police station will almost certainly be different from today's requirements & procedure at a different police station and tomorrow it might have changed again at the same police station. Then again it might not, or alternatively the other police station may have adopted this police station's rules from yesterday..........

I'm sure you've got the idea ;-)

User

I used the original questionnaire to setup a reference letter and gave it to people I know that require it for competency renewal. I even used it myself and up to date there were no issues for the renewal of a competency.