Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Gevarm E-1 Semi-auto .22 long : Tell me about your Gevarm

Good day Members, I believe all is well and good? I have a Gevarm E-1 . It seems to be a nice shooting short, fast handling rifle..I like it , and like to shoot it as well. I want to scope it , it seems the integral dove tail rails is about 11mm wide..what scope bases in 11mm wide bases are available to mount a scope on the Gevarm??
    3434430dcaffa379bc00c27b0bcedd71.jpgdownload.jpg

User

Default Re: Gevarm E-1 Semi-auto .22 long : Tell me about your Gevarm

The Gevarm was one of the very few reliable semi-auto 22 rifles at the time it was introduced. The Ruger 10/22 was the other and the little Browning was nipping at their heels.

What set the Gevarm apart, was it's open bolt firing mechanism. This resulted in significantly extended lock time, which is not ideal for target accuracy. They are however great fun to shoot, so they were mostly enjoyed as plinkers.

The rail should fit most 3/8" or 10mm rings.

Keep the scope magnification low, as the rifle is not intended for precision work. A RDS would be ideal.

A friend who has one discovered that a Walther PP mag will fit, and with a few small mods to the lips will feed 22LR pretty well. Might be worth a look?

User

I bought a set of Hawke rings at Safari Outdoor today for my 11mm dovetail. They are listed as 9-11mm and sold for R389.
    They had them in low, medium and high.

Also, I want a Gevarm E1!

User

I just had a look at the mounts. The claw is not sharp, it is blunt and rounded. It is not a good fit on my Winchester 9422.

User

A-R thank you kindly for the info...I noticed the Gevarm does not have an ejector as well.

There are two settings to shoot it with .22 long rounds and .22 short rounds.

There is not a firing pin as we know it but a horizontal bar that strikes the primer horizontally.

I will try the Walter PP magazines..

Meteor, there are two type of rails/angles on the 11mm scope mounts a 60 degree and a 45 degree angle..I need to make sure what angle is on the integral rail on my Gevarm. I have not seen many Gevarms for sale the past few years at all. There maybe two Gevarms at Johan Greylings gunsmith shop ..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I just had a look at the mounts. The claw is not sharp, it is blunt and rounded. It is not a good fit on my Winchester 9422.
    Meteor, just send them to me I will make good use of them on my .22 Gevarm..in exchange I will find you a Gevarm

User

That is very good info on the angle oom Gert.

It seems Safari Outdoor are not feeling too happy to take them back but to be honest I do not think they will work on any angle. It appears as if they are cast and then not cut by any tools. They will most likely work on a crude deep dovetail like a Gamo, regardless of angle, but not on a fine firearm like a Winchester.

I looked at Warne's site and they also have a 11mm.

I don't know if I should send them oom Gert, I am afraid you will put a scope on and see it shoots skeef then hand it in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I don't know if I should send them oom Gert, I am afraid you will put a scope on and see it shoots skeef then hand it in.
    Gert does not seem to be of the "hand it in" type...

User

I struggled with accuracy on mine, then someone suggested I should try High Velocity ammo instead of Standard. It got a whole lot more accurate. The theory is that with that heavy open bolt reciprocating, the HV bullet exits the muzzle before the bolt starts making the gun move around.

I think you'll find that the 2 "settings" you refer to are actually for HV vs SV ammo in 22LR as by the time these rifles came along, .22L was almost obselete and .22S also on the decline.

For those that are unfamiliar with the rifle, the "settings" are actually 2 different ways of assembling the bolt. There are 3 pieces to consider. The first is the front bit that has the vertical (not horizontal) bar machined into it (in lieu of a firing pin), the second is the spring, and the 3rd piece I would describe as a "weight". When set up for SV ammo, the weight is placed in storage behind the spring and does not affect the movement of the bolt. When set up for HV ammo, the weight is in front of the spring and adds to the mass of the front part. which slows down the recoil impulse.

Now that I read my description I'm not sure if it's all that clear.......

If you search the forum you will find a few posts on these little rifles.

See my post #124 on this page https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...cs-here/page13

The links I refer to in my post don't seem to be working any more, but a bit google time will probably sort that out.

Magazines are like hen's teeth.............

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Gert does not seem to be of the "hand it in" type...
    A-R you are correct, if it does not work we make it work ..like the Police did in our time thirty years ago...they had the skills to make a " veld likkewaan admit he is a crocodile" those scope bases and rings will be made to fit the police style ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast