Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dude almost ends himself with bad 50Cal ammo

On one post they mentioned he used a very old cartridge. That was discontinued at one time. And was bought online.

If you put a loaded round into a rifle. And its super old and your not sure what propellant is inside. And if someone possibly modified it or reloaded it.

You should not load and shoot it.

No matter how strong or well engineered the rifle is or could be. When you stick something in it that is dangerously loaded possibly. Alot can go wrong and in this case did.

Alot of shooters will tell you they will never load and shoot ammunition loaded by anyone else.

If the rifle failed to build quality. Im sure there would be some law suits from him against the manufacturer. Or the manufacturer would have been in contact.

User

The manufacturer, with a more detailed breakdown of the event, including calculations:

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    The manufacturer, with a more detailed breakdown of the event, including calculations:

Thanks, will be interested to see the results of the inspection of the rifle.

So I see the 58000psi he mentioned is the shear strenth of the threads of the endcap/ receiver. They mention that they would need 161520psi chamber pressure to generate this force. I played around on quickload to try to get to that pressure. I found that these SLAP round projectiles are around 350gr, so I used that weight. But no matter what charge weight of the correct powder (Hodgdon H50) I used, I could not generate that pressure. I could however get there using 200gr of MP200. He mentioned in the video that the round could be counterfeit, and loaded with pistol powder. This is a possibility if you look at the quickload numbers.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

User

Or it simply exploded. I'm not sure if Quickload allows for half-charges that result in explosions?

Serbu inspects Scott's RN-50 that blew up.
    The force it took to strip those threads and sheer off those ears must have been immense.

Good to see Scott back. The intro is pretty funny for those who followed the whole saga.

For those interested in just how bad Scott's injuries were and how close he came to the end, here is a doctor that goes through each of his injuries.

User

As a prospective rifle owner, what can I do to ensure this never happens?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunOrNot View Post
    A summary. Buy good ammo. If you reload do it with care. Keep your weapon in a good condition. Pay attention while shooting - anything out of the ordinary, stop check, figure it out before continuing.

With that said. Accidents can happen. Wear proper eye protection. Have a first aid kit handy and know how to use it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunOrNot View Post
    If you reload, make 100% sure that you use the correct powder. I think most reloaded kabooms come from using the wrong powder by accident, like loading handgun powder in a rifle. And use the correct ammo for that specific rifle.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast