Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dude almost ends himself with bad 50Cal ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    As long as you're not trying to shoot it through a piece of plumbing pipe held together by bubblegum you should be fine.
    Attachment 33064
    This is the tip of my middle finger on my right hand. When I was about 10 years old my first homemade blackpowder firearm was built with a piece of plumbing pipe with a plumbing angle screwed onto it as a breechface. It, predictably, exploded in my hands leaving my middle finger quite badly mangled.

Don't pretend that plumbing fittings are firearms!
    I can do you one better! When living on a farm in my youth we once used a device (without parents knowledge) that was supposed to scare off baboons as a gun to hunt baboons.

A shotgun shell was placed in the bottom of a pipe, and then that was placed inside another well fitting pipe and when it fell the weight dropped it onto a pin that set off the primer (I'm sure many farmers are familiar with this device). As rudimentary as it gets. Luckily we never actually shot the thing that way as we never came across any baboons. The joys and lunacy of youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark357 View Post
    Ask Tactical HQ, they go through containers worth of crates of that stuff. Many even from 1972

Ive never heard or seen any problems.
    The 1972 and newer stuff has fired 100% for me, unlike some of the 2019/2020 Winchester 9mm that seems to have quite a few duds per case
    True. I guess these kinds of incidents just gets one thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    True. I guess these kinds of incidents just gets one thinking.
    That Norino surplus is usually well sealed and in very good condition
    I trust ones I have unsealed myself or gotten from trusted retailers.
    Would not trust ones someone else has just had lying around

Banned

[QUOTE=Paul;141237
    This is the tip of my middle finger on my right hand. When I was about 10 years old my first homemade blackpowder firearm was built with a piece of plumbing pipe with a plumbing angle screwed onto it as a breechface. It, predictably, exploded in my hands leaving my middle finger quite badly mangled.

Don't pretend that plumbing fittings are firearms![/QUOTE]
    After getting into trouble for such posts, I do not bring above activities up much any more. I too grew up using old .303 Cordite and .22 powder to make cannons and rifles and rockets. Karl has your finger exact due to our games, the hedge was set alight and the cloth's on the washing line as well. The outside room door had a hole drilled through the solid part of it and the barrels would be put in the various size holes and fired, the idea was the door was our shield - worked well till one shot blew up creating a fist size hole in door. Karls finger was when a old 303 was found, but the bolt was hidden where it was not found. No problem we used a big bolt, add a hammer to equation and work rest out. (parents died believing he fell on bike).

Hahaha yeah same my side, I bet grandpas all over SA never thought their old 303s from WWII would be used for so much mischief, or then again they were once kids too.

User

I used to pull the bullets from all the rounds, burned up the powder (love the smell) and melted the lead in the bullets to get to the sharp metal tips inside the copper jackets. Also made hooks from wire and set them in the lead of some of these bullets, making keychains and necklaces for the kids at my school.

Knowing what I wrecked back then I can only kick myself. Wasted a lot of ammo that way.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Corrosion welding bullet to case. Most likely.
    Less likely but possible heat from being in the sun.
    Clumping of propellant.

^^Thanks for that! I was also curious as to what could possibly cause old ammunition to yield higher pressure than expected; I was hoping that someone would give sensible suggestions.

Haha his fellow Guntubers should get him a get well soon birthday cake and along with it send a replica Serbu 50 Cal He seems like the kinda guy who would enjoy that (kick in the nethers).

User

why it failed?

read the details. inspired by social media and a ytube celebrity.

https://serbu.com/rn-50/#

User

I'd very very cautious shooting a round that's normally 50 k PSI out of a rifle that takes 85 k PSI to explode like that. Safety factor of 1.7 in front of my face? No thanks

I've been wondering if a traditional 50 bolt action with the overengineered lugs like a Barrett or Truvelo would have fared batter than the threads on that endcap, even with repeated rounds at 85 k. I strongly suspect so

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast