Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Banned

Default Re: 458 WIN MAG Suggestions

For a hunting rifle and especially with PH/guiding, it should handle well so as to be able to take quick shots. A shorter barrel (22 inch) could be a benefit and using 450gr mono bullets the speed could be upped and compensate for the shorter barrel length. A slick action with controlled feed will also help in getting into action quicker.

Shooting for sighting in purposes could be done from stable sticks or extra shoulder protection from a bench.

User

Brillo, I think you have only one real option:

The .458 African, designed by Pierre Van Der Walt, author of African Dangerous Game Cartridges. It was designed with Africa hunting dangerous game in mind for Africa. It will fit in a standard Mauser 98 action. If you need more information on this caliber , let me know I can send you some information and all the specifications /history /re-loading data .

You can get the reamer from Pierre van der Walt as well/or he will be able to point you in the right direction.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Brillo, I think you have only one real option:

The .458 African, designed by Pierre Van Der Walt, author of African Dangerous Game Cartridges. It was designed with Africa hunting dangerous game in mind for Africa. It will fit in a standard Mauser 98 action. If you need more information on this caliber , let me know I can send you some information and all the specifications /history /re-loading data .

You can get the reamer from Pierre van der Walt as well/or he will be able to point you in the right direction.
    Hi Gert

I know dies are available for the African at safari but brass is made from 404 Brass which is very expensive and then you still need to make and fire form the brass.

A 458 win mag’s components are freely available and with today’s powders or even loading a 480gr bullet solves the problem the old ammo had with clumping.

As for between CZ/Brno or Winchester.

The CZ holds 5 rounds in the mag (working guns) but CZ stopped making them last that I heard.
    Winchester beautiful are guns and great value for money.

User

I would skip the Win Mag and go straight for the Lott. Actually that is exactly what I did.

You can duplicate the original specs of the Win Mag easily with less pressure. Yes, there are still quite a few new CZ550's available from Formalito. Speak to the guys at your local GS and go and pick one, some are very plain but there are a few with really nicely figured stocks.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Had an interesting chat with an old timer over the weekend. He guided hundreds of hunts on all the DG Africa can offer. I asked him what is charge stopper was?

"A .458, and no, not a Lott."

In those days it came down to what ammo became available with hunters that left there stock for the PH and then .458 was plenty enough coming to Africa. His other reason was that for charge stopping and dropping wounded dangerous game shots is not commonly further than 60 meters. Out to 60 meters he found nothing that did the job better than a .458 would do it and as he is not a big strong fellow the mild recoil of the .458 compared to the .500 and .600 and .460 Weatherby etc had him to be quicker back on target for a second shot with the .458 He also had too many flinching hunters with their hand cannons that missed their targets by a mile because of the flinch.

So, for him, for guiding or follow u work the .458 was what he used. He also has the big ones in his arsenal, but they where used for other jobs.

User

The 458 Win Mag is pretty versatile and very capable. You can load it with cast lead bullets at moderate velocity for practise and hunting medium and small game. With banded solids, you can increase the OAL to what the mag and free bore allows, and have the same powder capacity as a Lott. You can also have the chamber reamed to Lott or 3" Express and still be able to shoot Win Mag ammo safely. All the above options give you more rounds in the mag than the fatter-cased version.

The biggest draw-back of the standard 458 Win Mag is the limited case capacity. In the old days powder clumping was a problem. That issue was sorted long ago. What still remains is the fact that you have to use a relatively fast-burning powder. This results in a steeper pressure curve, which gives you a sharper recoil impulse. This is why the 3" Express was developed. The extra case capacity is not needed to push velocities up, they are sufficient already. The extra capacity allows you to load with powders in the S365 / IMR4350 burn rate range. This gives a much flatter pressure curve, resulting in a "softer" recoil impulse to your shoulder.

CZ550 Magnum, Brno ZKK602 and the Ruger no.1 can accommodate the 3" Exp with just a chamber ream. My choice would be one of these, just to keep my options open.

An important aspect of DG rifle selection is stock design. Stick to a stock with a straight comb and avoid the Bavarian hump-back type at all cost. On the CZ and Brno, the Standard rifles have the straight-combed stocks. Fortunately stocks can be replaced.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 458Exp View Post
    Hi Gert

I know dies are available for the African at safari but brass is made from 404 Brass which is very expensive and then you still need to make and fire form the brass.

A 458 win mag’s components are freely available and with today’s powders or even loading a 480gr bullet solves the problem the old ammo had with clumping.

As for between CZ/Brno or Winchester.

The CZ holds 5 rounds in the mag (working guns) but CZ stopped making them last that I heard.
    Winchester beautiful are guns and great value for money.
    .458 Express, it is really difficult for me not to be bias towards any rifle/component that has something to do with the 404 Jeffery. You are correct , the .458 caliber will be a better option due to availability of reloading components.

It is good to hear not every one think the .458 Lott is the golden caliber. The .458 WIN Mag as is , is certainly one of the calibers who killed thousands of dangerous game as well as plains game /bushveld game.

No, need for a .458 Lott..when shooting a .458WM accurately and with confidence a PH or hunter will be able to kill anything that walks the earth, in Alaska you will even be able to kill a whale if you take your .458 Win Mag fishing..

Every challenge any rifle from the previous1900 to 1999 had with powder or bullets is long gone, today, with the brilliant powders and bullets you can even going lower on the caliber ranking to kill larger animals than prescribed by the laws today..

But ,,.....if you really want to shoot those heavy big bore rifles like the . .500 Jeffery , the .600 Nitro Express or the larges Weatherby you can lay your hands on there is a solution to practice for these events :

But you need to start training while you are young and strong...we conduct courses to assist you to learn to shoot heavy recoil weapons.
    c6f690f6-de0f-47dd-bc6d-897ca606349f.jpg

User

I picked up an old BSA with the factory ported barrel a few years ago ($750 Canadian shipped��). I have no practical use for it, was just reading too many African hunting books. Quite manageable with 500gr Hornady GMX. Might take it for black bear next spring. Only thing is, it's not CRF......FWIW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2