Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Salami

User

Default Re: Salami

Kangaroo makes a very good leather, I believe. Sought after for bullwhips.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I can tell you a story about a fermented red wine and garlic kangaroo salami. Suffice to say, sleeping in a swag (basically a canvas coffin) with that thing fermenting further in my gut was a bad idea.
    That roo wasn't done fighting yet....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Biks View Post
    Good Day,

Im looking into shooting a couple of pigs this year and to make my own salami.

Does anyone process their own salami at home and what cabinet\box do you use to dry your salami's.

I've been checking a couple videos on YT and they recommend the correct humidity etc.

Thnx
    Hallo Biks, van waar is jy ? Die maak van cooked salami en russians is regtig nie `n moeilike proses nie. Dit is maklik en eenvoudig.

Ek sal vorentoe die "slow cured " salami proses onder die duim kry , daar is `n maatskappy in Suid Afrika wat sulke kursusse aanbied, met die COVID ding het ek die kursus mis geloop.

Maar as jy die "cooked salami en russians " wil maak is dit baie eenvoudig,..

Jy benodig :
    Meat mincer :or ask your butcher to mince the 80% excellent quality bush pig or farm pig meat with the 20% or 10% fat for you into a nr6 mice grinder plate.

Spices you can buy at Crown or any other shop , the Cooked Salami /russian pack.

This is mixed into the minced meat mix with a liter of iced water, mixed well until water and spices are absorbed.

Use salami casing ( very expensive) or cheaper large casings of another smoked product...

Sausage stuffing machine ..important , you need to stuff the casing as full as possible..use twine to bind the one end , the other end already has the twine and loop to hang it to dry. This is very important to press the open end very, very hard to let the meat backed up as far as possible so the salami will be very rigid, then bind it .

There is a type of crimping tool at the agricultural shop, they use it to crimp close the potato bags ...that is the ideal tool to use..it is expensive for such a simple device for sure.

Hang the salami and Russians until it is dry to the touch no moisture must be left on the outside of the skin.

Take a small needle and prick as many holes as possible into the salami for any air to escape...

Hang it in your smoker, smoke until is has that great salami look color ...

Cook it in a large bowl until inside temperatures are 70 degrees celcius..remove and hang in cool place in your house ...eat or store in fridge for future use///

Send me one to taste to make sure you know hat you are doing

Any cabinet that is quite air tight ...convert it into a smoker for smoking your salami and russians..nothing complicated..useany type of wood chips no need to buy those extremely expensive smoke chips at all..

Send photos as well

Hi,

Thank You so much for the above - Much appreciated.

I shall most definitely post pics of my setup during the course of year\ Next year.

Sorry forgot to add that i will try both cooked and fermented so my setup will be able to accommodate both.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Biks View Post
    Sorry forgot to add that i will try both cooked and fermented so my setup will be able to accommodate both.
    Fermented is still a type of salami I want to do.

Biks, get yourself this book if you really want to be successful in the fermented salami, it is actually called " Charcuterie " the process to salt/smoke /cure meat
    Charcuterie-rulman-sm-56a1c4965f9b58b7d0c26a98.jpg

This is also a really good book plus the book Gert has mentioned. That said they don't cover a DIY curing chamber.

User

earth@wickedfood.co.za

Biks, skakel Cilla hier , gebruik die e-pos adres, sy bied die salami /ham /russian kursusse aan waar jy die verskillende bestandele gebruik om die salmi/ham ry te maak, te rook en te stoor vir gebruik soos dit deur die Spanjaarde/Franse en ander lande gedoen word.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2