Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51
  1. #31
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,178

    Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

    "Iron Dome" probably uses "dumb" missiles. These will have no internal target tracking capability. The target tracking is performed by the ground based radar which then guides the interceptor missile onto the target, or in close enough proximity to destroy it. This keeps the cost of the interceptor missile relatively cheap compared to self-guiding missiles.

  2. #32
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    50
    Posts
    260

    Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

    The US Embassy here in Baghdad, any many other US installations, uses the C-RAM system against IDF. Basically the same as Phalanx CIWS but mounted on truck trailer and deployed in static position. Although we are about 700m (as the crow flies) away from the Embassy when that thing engages targets at 2 or 3 in the morning you are wide awake. Makes an awesome display at night as you can follow the trail of rounds into the air and see when they self destruct at pre-set ranges.

  3. #33
    Member Steven001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    The Vaal Triangle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,030

    Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

    Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    "Iron Dome" probably uses "dumb" missiles. These will have no internal target tracking capability. The target tracking is performed by the ground based radar which then guides the interceptor missile onto the target, or in close enough proximity to destroy it. This keeps the cost of the interceptor missile relatively cheap compared to self-guiding missiles.
    Makes sense, I never thought of it like that...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #34
    Member Steven001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    The Vaal Triangle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,030

    Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

    Quote Originally Posted by vinmarvin View Post
    The US Embassy here in Baghdad, any many other US installations, uses the C-RAM system against IDF. Basically the same as Phalanx CIWS but mounted on truck trailer and deployed in static position. Although we are about 700m (as the crow flies) away from the Embassy when that thing engages targets at 2 or 3 in the morning you are wide awake. Makes an awesome display at night as you can follow the trail of rounds into the air and see when they self destruct at pre-set ranges.
    What would that caliber be?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Randburg, Gauteng
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

    I work on self protection systems for aircraft. Once I get to my pc, maybe later tonight or tomorrow, I will try and share some details. Obviously nothing that will compromise anything I work on and there will be at least some speculation, as not everything is published.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    JHB and BFN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    "Iron Dome" probably uses "dumb" missiles. These will have no internal target tracking capability. The target tracking is performed by the ground based radar which then guides the interceptor missile onto the target, or in close enough proximity to destroy it. This keeps the cost of the interceptor missile relatively cheap compared to self-guiding missiles.
    If the clip in the OP is watched carefully, one will notice that the ground missiles track and the directions change on route to target.

  7. #37
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    If the clip in the OP is watched carefully, one will notice that the ground missiles track and the directions change on route to target.
    "Dumb" missiles will change direction and appear to track or follow a target. The big difference is that the missile does not track the target by itself. The ground system tracks both the target and the missile and tells the missile via a data-link where to head and how to manuever in order to "hit" the target. As mentioned this is done to reduce the unit cost of the missiles.

  8. #38
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    What would that caliber be?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    20 x 102mm. The Centurion ground based system fires ammo that self destructs at the ranges I mentioned in an earlier post.

  9. #39
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boland
    Posts
    7,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    "Dumb" missiles will change direction and appear to track or follow a target. The big difference is that the missile does not track the target by itself. The ground system tracks both the target and the missile and tells the missile via a data-link where to head and how to manuever in order to "hit" the target. As mentioned this is done to reduce the unit cost of the missiles.
    I have no details knowledge about the specific system, but I would be very surprised if the missiles get their steering instructions from a ground controller, given the sheer number of targets the system is designed to engaged. Minituarised phased array active radar systems kan easily fit on small missles these days, from a systems viewpoint it makes way more sense for the ground controller to only provide the missile with targeting information (target position and velocity vector) and let the missiles do their own intercept, essentially a fire-and-forget system. This kind of capability is probably what makes the system viable in the first place...

  10. #40
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boland
    Posts
    7,191

    Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

    To add to the above: a ground-steered system will need to actively track not only the target but also the missiles launched at the target, and provide constant steering commands to a great number of missles in the air at a given time. That brings issues with control bandwidth available, potential latency concerns, the possibility for jamming the control signals etc. A system that uses active homing missiles would probably not be as susceptible to these issues.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •