Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Israel's Iron Dome defense system is quite amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    It's one reason why Israel has become a world leaser in high energy particle beam technology. FRIKKENLAZERSMAN!!!!
    Great for taking out medium to large drones at distance, but not so much against small low flying drones in urban environments.

User

Media outlets are reporting that iron dome is being overwhelmed.

User

Regarding how the rocket works:

"A complete Iron Dome system, the operation of which is heavily automated in many regards, consists of a number of launch units, each loaded with up to 20 Tamir interceptors, as well as associated radars, to spot and track incoming threats, and a battle management and control unit. Each highly maneuverable Tamir interceptor has an active radar seeker and a two-way datalink to receive additional targeting information in-flight to improve its accuracy. A proximity fuze triggers the detonation of a ring-shaped high explosive blast fragmentation warhead inside the interceptor when it gets sufficiently close to its target. You can read more about this arrangement and how it works in this past piece of ours."

Which was taken from the following interesting article :

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40572/continuous-mass-rocket-attacks-pose-new-challenges-for-israels-iron-dome-system

Quote Originally Posted by mottobaaj View Post
    Media outlets are reporting that iron dome is being overwhelmed.
    Yes. Reading this too. I suppose it was only a matter of time - the tactic to overwhelm the system was a brave one. I pity the Palestinians when Israel run out of defensive options and decide to attack.

User

My sister stays in a suburb of Tel Aviv and spent the lats two nights in a bomb shelter. It was her mom's birthday (we have the same dad, different moms) and she joked about the fireworks show she arranged for her mom. Another joke going around was that Hamas said they would attack at 6, and they were late, so they were saying Hamas owes them free garlic bread like when a pizza delivery is late.

User

I know the system is probably sophisticated enough to avoid them but you just don't want these systems to shoot down hot air balloons or airplanes....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Yes. Reading this too. I suppose it was only a matter of time - the tactic to overwhelm the system was a brave one. I pity the Palestinians when Israel run out of defensive options and decide to attack.
    Hoping not to get into 'us vs them' again or to derail this thread but a ground invasion into Gaza will not end well for Israel, an opinion held by Israel military leaders as well. From their experience in 2014. I would think they will threathen an invasion but not actually go through with it. Respect to the Israeli's if they do go through with it.

Ultimately I think in the most simplistic and primeval terms, when 2 sides disagree to this extent a good as fair as can get fight is what is inevitable. Mutual respect need not be excluded.

User

Here's a cool article on the Iron Dome by Pop Mech:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...tem-explained/

User

Quote Originally Posted by mottobaaj View Post
    but a ground invasion into Gaza will not end well for Israel, an opinion held by Israel military leaders as well. From their experience in 2014. I would think they will threathen an invasion but not actually go through with it.
    Didn't they lose 67 IDF soldiers and kill over 2000 ( of which 936 were confirmed militants) ? They achieved their objectives in 50 days and Hamas didn't get a single demand met.
    That's an Israel win.

But I really hope it ends without needing a ground war. So many innocent people are already in the crossfire.

I mean, more than 1,600 rockets have been fired since Monday by Hamas with around 400 actually falling short and landing inside Gaza - Hamas is essentially bombing their own people.

The whole situation is a mess.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast