User

Default SANDF-linked rifle among weapons recovered after house break-in on farm

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...ak-in-on-farm/

Hmm - I didn't know that an R1 is an assault rifle - rather a battle rifle.

I thought the SANDF destroyed most of its R1s in Operation Mouflon in 2001, and just had some dedicated marksman variants. Apparently these were the numbers destroyed :(

7.62 R1 rifle 198,506
    7.62 R1 rifle (paratrooper) 1,326
    7.62 M1 rifle 3,708
    7.62 R1 heavy barrel 2,914

Possibly this example is an ex-Commando rifle that was never handed in.

"An assault rifle identified as SANDF property and a shotgun registered to a late estate, were among the weapons found after a suspect was arrested after a break-in at a farm in Nuy in Breede River Valley in the Western Cape.

Detectives from Worcester police, assisted by members from the Breede Valley K9 Unit, followed up leads on Friday following a housebreaking and theft case which occurred on the farm on May 2.

Three rifles were discovered by sniffer dogs shortly after the incident, however one 9mm Glock pistol was still missing, Western Cape police spokesperson Col Andrè Traut said.

“Investigation led the members to an address in Yssel Street in Riverview where a female suspect was arrested in possession of an assault rifle, a shotgun and an air pistol. The assault rifle was identified as SANDF property and the shotgun was registered to a late estate. The 9mm Glock pistol which is sought is yet to be recovered.

“The suspect is scheduled to make a court appearance in Worcester on Monday to face charges for the possession of unlicensed and stolen firearms.”'"

User

Default Re: SANDF-linked rifle among weapons recovered after house break-in on farm

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...ak-in-on-farm/

Hmm - I didn't know that an R1 is an assault rifle - rather a battle rifle.

I thought the SANDF destroyed most of its R1s in Operation Mouflon in 2003, and just had some dedicated marksman variants. Apparently these were the numbers destroyed :(

7.62 R1 rifle 198,506
    7.62 R1 rifle (paratrooper) 1,326
    7.62 M1 rifle 3,708
    7.62 R1 heavy barrel 2,914

Possibly this example is an ex-Commando rifle that was never handed in.

"An assault rifle identified as SANDF property and a shotgun registered to a late estate, were among the weapons found after a suspect was arrested after a break-in at a farm in Nuy in Breede River Valley in the Western Cape.

Detectives from Worcester police, assisted by members from the Breede Valley K9 Unit, followed up leads on Friday following a housebreaking and theft case which occurred on the farm on May 2.

Three rifles were discovered by sniffer dogs shortly after the incident, however one 9mm Glock pistol was still missing, Western Cape police spokesperson Col Andrè Traut said.

“Investigation led the members to an address in Yssel Street in Riverview where a female suspect was arrested in possession of an assault rifle, a shotgun and an air pistol. The assault rifle was identified as SANDF property and the shotgun was registered to a late estate. The 9mm Glock pistol which is sought is yet to be recovered.

“The suspect is scheduled to make a court appearance in Worcester on Monday to face charges for the possession of unlicensed and stolen firearms.”'"
    Government was finding rifles at hospitals and municipalities a few years ago, I'm guessing they've been there since the 90's
    Reality is I don't think they actually know how many are out there, vs destroyed