Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Pistol sights install

Good morning everyone. So I mulled over posting this for some time but I'm still curious to know your opinion. I had sights installed at a reputable gun shop with an in house gunsmith. I have done it myself, many times before without an issues but I was there and I thought hey, why not let the professionals do it.. I installed the sights on my first handgun, a Vektor SP2, my G19, G17, G29 both my S&W M&P Pro, my wife's G26 andI didn't damage any of them, not a scratch.

So I had it done by the pro's and the result is as in the photos. Should I just grow a sack and get over it or would you be pissed too?

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Pistol sights install

Did you pay for that? Or did they pay you?

User

Default Pistol sights install

If it was on any of my G guns I would look away but on that particular one I would be a little peeved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is unacceptable.

User

I see you put competition sight on, are you planning on running it in any competition or competing with it? If yes, then get over it because thats the least of your worries.

If this is intended to be your "cool gun" or "safe queen" (nothing wrong with that) then I would get bitchy with the "professionals" who did it.

User

Looks like Vice Marks, and the front sight was too tight for the dovetail. Many sights are manufactured slightly oversize so they can be filed to fit that particular dove tail snugly.

Also looks like they used a steel punch on the front and rear sight and not a brass punch.

Would highly appreciate if you could let us know which “professional” gunsmith did this so we can not take our guns there :0

At least after this they could have put some Cold Blu on to make it less showing.

You would expect a clever person to put a piece of wood or leather in between the metal and vice.

Aren't there tools designed specifically for this like sight pushers why the need for a vice or anything that would scratch the gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Aren't there tools designed specifically for this like sight pushers why the need for a vice or anything that would scratch the gun.
    Not all sight pushers work with all different types of sight variations and / or slide variations.
    A brass Punch, and Soft Vice Jaws should be all you need. If you need to pound on it that hard that you're leaving marks like that, then obviously you are needing to move more material to get a snug fit than is necessary.

The solution is to file the sight to fit the dovetail tightly, and then install with a brass punch and clean up brass marks with a compound like brass black but first gun oil and some rubbing with a hard bristle nylon brush to remove most of the brass deposits.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast