Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Starting a sport - IPSC/IDPA

Hi guys

I am really interested in getting into something like IPSC - maybe even 3 Gun. Would really appreciate some advice and insights as to how to get started.

I would like to get a bit of practice first before launching into actually competing. How does this work? Are you able to book a slot to go practice on a course, or is it only possible to do in a competition setting? It's a big thing putting me off from starting because the last thing i want to do is start cold and get laughed at by the pros!

Then, which facilities in the Joburg area would you recommend?

Thanks guys

User

Default Re: Starting a sport - IPSC/IDPA

Oh.. and are there training courses available for this that one would recommend?

User

The pros will never laugh at you, if someone laughs at you it will be because they are far from professional level and a shitty person in general....

Now that I got that off my chest.

The only thing that matters is that you are safe, safety is number one.

General target practice will do wonders for when you arrive at a shoot, work on moving and all that as you go.

If you can handle your handgun well enough to hit an A4 sized target at 10 meters, I guarantee you will have fun on the day when you go to a shoot.

There are plenty of clubs in JHB that do IPSC, so ill let the JHB guys recommend were to start

IDPA (SADPA) has a Prospective Shooter program. You can participate for three times before you need to join. There is a small induction course you have to attend just to familiarise yourself with the basic rules and Range commands.

User

In the JHB area (for IPSC) you can try Golden City ( who have a new shooter orientation course as well) or Spartan Arms for a start.

Everyone started at the bottom ... take every shoot as a learning process. If you want to, there are guys on the forum who give outstanding training - 1911 and BigT come to mind.

Phone SAPSA at 011-391-6463 and Sebella will give you some options.

Where do you stay ?

User

So many clubs in JHB. Golden City, Spartan, Tac Shac off the top of my head.

Get in contact with the club, and try to arrange to go watch a match (I know tough in these times), ask some questions.
    Then go join in a club match. You are not required to be a SAPSA member to shoot a tier 1 match (Club Match). Give it a go.

Not much 3gun happening with the only club really doing anything like that in JHB right now is Tac Shac, but there are options to shoot IPSC Rifle and / or Shotgun matches.

User

SADPA and IPSC are well supported in Jhb.

On the IPSC side you don't need to buy expensive gear as long as your current stuff is compliant with the rules, just start with what you have.

Drop me a PM if you need a hand at GC

User

JUST GO GET INVOLED

User

Like other members have said, find the closest club to you, ask to join on a monthly/weekly shoot. They will not have a problem with that usually.
    Try both sports and see which one you prefer.
    There are many threads on the differences, similarities, etc. and both sports require equipment that might not be compatible with each other.
    Choose a sport you like and then join a relevant club, pay your fees (club, regional, etc.) so you can join other shoots.

Plenty info online too

User

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Hi guys

I am really interested in getting into something like IPSC - maybe even 3 Gun. Would really appreciate some advice and insights as to how to get started.

I would like to get a bit of practice first before launching into actually competing. How does this work? Are you able to book a slot to go practice on a course, or is it only possible to do in a competition setting? It's a big thing putting me off from starting because the last thing i want to do is start cold and get laughed at by the pros!

Then, which facilities in the Joburg area would you recommend?

Thanks guys
    I don't think you will be laughed at.

People don't care how people shoot in the beginning.

What they care about is how safe you do it and if you participate in the duties that go along with the sport ( picking up brass, resetting, patching, not stealing other guys' brass) . No one wants to shoot with the guy that cops a DQ every second week because of safety issues and does sweet nothing whilst every one else. works as a team.

My 5c worth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast