Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Starting a sport - IPSC/IDPA

Thanks so much for the response guys. Lots to process - and sounds like starting point is to go watch a few matches.

So my last question - there is no way to practice this sport other than to participate in actual matches? Cos the other issue for me is time flexibility.

I guess the worry from my side is that, as with any macho sport (I have done my share of skydiving before for example) you get the newbies and the "gods". What puts me off is the thought of going somewhere to start at the bottom, to get spoken to like a child by the established members and treated like shit, because then I would prefer to do better things with my time. If you guys tell me that's not the case - that's great news! Just to clarify - I do absolutely understand the safety aspect and fully accept that you can learn from people who have done the sport longer - that's not the issue at all.

User

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Thanks so much for the response guys. Lots to process - and sounds like starting point is to go watch a few matches.

So my last question - there is no way to practice this sport other than to participate in actual matches? Cos the other issue for me is time flexibility.

I guess the worry from my side is that, as with any macho sport (I have done my share of skydiving before for example) you get the newbies and the "gods". What puts me off is the thought of going somewhere to start at the bottom, to get spoken to like a child by the established members and treated like shit, because then I would prefer to do better things with my time. If you guys tell me that's not the case - that's great news! Just to clarify - I do absolutely understand the safety aspect and fully accept that you can learn from people who have done the sport longer - that's not the issue at all.
    So I can only comment about the okes down in the Cape & Southern Cape. They don't walk around with "Sky God" like mentality. (Yes also a has been skydiver... )
    Watch a couple of IPSC & IDPA shoots on youtube. There are many... I recently found SA guy called Navarre Muller.
    And as most have commented, no-one is going to laugh at you. ALL (or at least MOST) competition shooters are eager to get more people involved in the sport.

Practice... well DryFire helps alot. (Google Mike Seeklander/Tarran Butler/Bob Vogel videos for IDPA, and Max Michele and co for IPSC)

User

It is not the case. As mentioned earlier if you are safe and pull your weight you will be fine. Get in touch with Golden City (if you are OK with Alberton) and you will go through training on a Saturday in order to prepare you for competition. Get into the sport and you will then see that there are plenty of opportunities to practise. As mentioned by Mtaute, dry fire is the easiest way to get in a ton of free practise.

User

Thanks guys!

User

All I did for my first match was read the rules and try to get all that in my head as best I could - and even then, you'll probably forget. BUT, most people will expect you to forget, so they'll try to coach you through it. I've never, ever seen a new person get treated badly at all, on the contrary, many will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and help you through stuff if you ask. As mentioned, just go in being prepared to do all the collective stuff - help set up ranges (you can pick on a lot of the rules there as well), pick up brass and patch between shooters, make sure of your safety rules (finger OFF trigger, muzzle awareness etc), listen to the SO's and be ready when your turn comes, and everybody will be happy to have you there. Honestly, nothing to worry about in that respect in my experience.

User

So I used to participate in IDPA and decided I wanted to transition to IPSC (though the club I want to join I believe is still closed due to covid...).

I decided to get some guidance from BigT as IPSC is a new kettle of fish to me.

He said, unless you are world class or dangerous, no one is going to care how you shoot.

Just bite the bullet and do it but please be one of those people who help pick up brass, patch etc, it helps with moving just a bit faster.

I actually must reach out to the club I want to join to see what the latest news is, I never would have thought that my collector membership would be finalized before my IPSC membership.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mischif93 View Post
    So I used to participate in IDPA and decided I wanted to transition to IPSC (though the club I want to join I believe is still closed due to covid...).

I decided to get some guidance from BigT as IPSC is a new kettle of fish to me.

He said, unless you are world class or dangerous, no one is going to care how you shoot.

Just bite the bullet and do it but please be one of those people who help pick up brass, patch etc, it helps with moving just a bit faster.

I actually must reach out to the club I want to join to see what the latest news is, I never would have thought that my collector membership would be finalized before my IPSC membership.
    Join another club. Which club is still closed ?

User

the last thing i want to do is start cold and get laughed at by the pros!
    I've been to numerous clubs' shoots in the past. I'm not good, at all, but I've always been met with very helpful, constructive and helping attitudes and comments from all around. The second someone laughs at you, pack up your stuff and go find a different club, because that club is shit.

Yes, I know at clubs we laugh at each other all the time, but that's when you know the other shooters and it's not because someone is new and learning. Completely different.

User

That might just be the only way I get to start.

PMPSC, military directive due to Covid.

User

my personal sport shooting journey
    Joined sadpa in the first week of getting my firearm license. At this point the only training i had received was my competency training for gun shop. i did they Sadpa new shooter orientation, it was clear that i was completely out of my depth.
    The gents took extra time to show and guide me plus giving me advise on training and good instructors.
    for first 5-6 shoots i informed squad SO i was new, kak and dom but i would be safe first and rest would follow. WAs always treated well, everyone still collected my brass and patched my targets, was never judged or laughed at in a mean way.
    been DQ twice over the years and that has also always been done in a manner where i was able to understand what i did wrong and why i was going home.
    7 years later i am still pretty kak, but enjoy it and keep going back

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast