Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Starting a sport - IPSC/IDPA

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    I guess the worry from my side is that, as with any macho sport... (I have done my share of skydiving before for example) you get the newbies and the "gods". What puts me off is the thought of going somewhere to start at the bottom, to get spoken to like a child by the established members and treated like shit, because then I would prefer to do better things with my time. If you guys tell me that's not the case - that's great news! Just to clarify - I do absolutely understand the safety aspect and fully accept that you can learn from people who have done the sport longer - that's not the issue at all.
    Shooting is not a "macho sport"
    "Macho men" come shoot once and then some girl beats the living shit out of them and then they don't come back...
    Aside from bowls I do not think there are other sports where more couples compete together.

In the unlikely event you get to a club where people speak to new / prospective members like they are children you are at the wrong place and it wont last long anyway. There are plenty AWESOME clubs everywhere.

User

B20

I have not observed any of what you are concerned about. However what I have seen at most shoots is that there is always a subset of people who like to talk about what a particular gun/calibre/round will do to human flesh. Or to talk about how much harder this is when the targets are shooting back. Or when you can and cannot shoot people etc.

I honestly don't mind discussions about guns and the merits of them, even in a self defence situation as we all have an interest in guns. But I attend club shoots to have fun, not to hone my self defense skills or talk about stopping power or get told how IPSC will "get you killed on the streets"

I just ignore it these days but I guess the sport is always going to attract people like that.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    In the unlikely event you get to a club where people speak to new / prospective members like they are children you are at the wrong place and it wont last long anyway. There are plenty AWESOME clubs everywhere.
    Yup, I can wholeheartedly agree with this. Been there, and learnt from it.
    But there are plenty welcoming shooters and clubs who are more than happy for newcomers to join up and enjoy the sport

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    B20

I have not observed any of what you are concerned about. However what I have seen at most shoots is that there is always a subset of people who like to talk about what a particular gun/calibre/round will do to human flesh. Or to talk about how much harder this is when the targets are shooting back. Or when you can and cannot shoot people etc.

I honestly don't mind discussions about guns and the merits of them, even in a self defence situation as we all have an interest in guns. But I attend club shoots to have fun, not to hone my self defense skills or talk about stopping power or get told how IPSC will "get you killed on the streets"

I just ignore it these days but I guess the sport is always going to attract people like that.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    I can’t say that I have ever experienced this at an IPSC match.

User

I shoot at my best when I'm not concerned about who is watching and what they think. You have to ask yourself why you want to do it and then focus on that. If you want to become a highly proficient and consistent shooter, focus on your shooting. After a shoot I will always look at the results and run through the shoot in my minds eye, trying to figure out why I got the score I did. It might be because my reload is too slow or my draws are too slow, then I practice that. Sometimes you'll just have crappy days, it happens, when everything seems to go wrong for no apparant reason. I know your intention is not to shoot to impress others, of course, but if you focus on them it's going to be an uphill battle. That something you'll have to sort out for yourself. It's going to cost you a bundle so it's important that YOU enjoy it.

I did a course with BigT in 2011 before I started shooting IDPA and I cannot tell you how much I learned and how well I did in my first shoot after that. Consider doing a course before starting. It didn't teach me the rules of the sport but it made me a heck of a lot safer and much more proficient. There is also Arno Barlow that you can consider. He offers great courses that will teach you tons, he does handgun basics courses as well but mostly focuses on Combatives which is also awesome to do.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I can’t say that I have ever experienced this at an IPSC match.
    Agree, that sounds like IDPA to me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Gerstner View Post
    Agree, that sounds like IDPA to me.
    It's not an IDPA or IPSC problem, it's a club mentality problem. It doesn't matter what club your at you will always find individuals who snigger, even if quietly to themselves, when someone shoots bad or makes mistake. If you have enough of those guys and it is not managed in the club, you'll find a bad club mentality where it is the norm.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3