Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick View Post
    I forgot to mention what some of you may have seen, Paul Oxley's announcement that there will be a march at Midrand and another in Cape Town. If he gave dates I missed them. I'll be at the Cape Town March as I was twenty years ago unless something really compelling prevents me. It is crucially important that those marches be well attended. Take a day off work and don't fail to attend because of some inconsequential reason or other. It is another way in which we can easily contribute to the fight. If they are not well attended we can be sure that government will use that against us.
    Dick, as far as I know the CT march is planned for 1 July.

User

Default Re: Firearms Amendment Bill of 2021

Hi Luker. This is not new - we knew about it twenty years ago. But I say "we knew" cautiously because I have never seen proof. We need proof because as matters now stand I dare not mention it on a radio show or in an e mail to a radio host. So please tell me how you know that her house has armed response. And if you are certain of it, why not get us solid evidence, like photos or whatever might be needed. I'm not being sarcastic - I have always said that we can't win unless more of us put shoulder to wheel, and this sort of research is something we can all do.

While we are discussing this let me throw in a bit more education of how to use this sort of info. This only works of course in studio debate. I would ask Adele Kirsten to confirm that in her view armed defense is not necessary, effective or needed. That's the sort of question lawyers tell you about "don't ask a question for which you don't already know the answer." Adele Kirsten would have no choice but to give an honest answer because that is at the core of her entire attack. THAT's when I would present the proof of her armed response. It's all about getting maximum mileage, or in this case maximum discreditation. But if we have to make do with telling it to a radio host in a phone call, so be it.

We have another problem right now which we are not tackling adequately. The entire media is focussing exclusively on the SD aspect. The other aspects are equally important but have been pretty much ignored and some of our representatives are not helping. This morning on Radio 567 Cape Talk Gideon Joubert again focussed on SD and lost a good opportunity to point out that we are looking at the complete destruction of shooting sport via prohibition of reloading. Having taken part in several live debates in the past I am only too aware of how difficult it can be to make one's point to a hostile interviewer, but we can't afford to sacrifice opportunities.

That said, we are yet again failing, as we failed in 2000, to assert ourselves. Guys, let me say it again, it's a numbers game. 66000 Objections to Dear SA will have some effect but not enough. What's needed is tens of thousands of written comment (or whatsapp messages) to all media outlets. These need to be not just objections to the amendments, we need to point out the other aspects, if necessary one at a time, and repeatedly over a long period of time. We need to flood them unrelentingly. I have already started with one or two chosen presenters, but only you guys in numbers can get the job done.
    Hi Dick

I heard a debate on a radio show I think 702 but I could be wrong. It was at 11:00 at night I was working night shift and it was with gun free SA and a woman from GOSA I think. It was bout 2 years ago and I was at work so I couldn't give it my full attention. But what I do remember very clearly is that the radio host and one of the callers who phoned in asked her if she had armed response at home and she admitted that she did. I'm not sure if it may be possible to find that debate somewhere but yeah. She did admit to it on live radio. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Glad you found the info you referred to in an earlier post.

What is concerning is the huge amounts of money GFSA receives from donors - especially George Soros.
    From 2017:

https://paratus.info/2017/12/05/gun-free-south-africa/
    Yeah, Luker, and the distressing thing is that the media ignores it as if it's not important. In GFSA's early years (mid nineties) Alex Holmes managed to get hold of it's list of donors for one particular year. I forget which year but it would have been mid nineties. It was about R1.50 million which doesn't sound much now, but it was a useful amount for a small organisation, which GFSA used for, among other things, flights all around SA. That's why GFSA were able to appear everywhere and generate a lot of publicity. Some of those donors were foreign like the Joseph Rowntree Foundation but most were South African corporates. One of those was SA Breweries. I asked them to confirm it and why they had done it in view of the fact that firearm owners drink a lot more beer than GFSA. Somewhere in the pile of rubbish that passes for my archives I have the reply from their public affairs guy. What it said, roughly, was that they gave R25K (I think) for GFSA's research into misuse of firearms, or some such thing, but withdrew support when they found that said research wasn't being done. What that really meant was that they realised they'd been conned. He requested that I didn't publicise it. But I don't see any harm in mentioning it 25 years later. It wasn't long before GFSA's funding from local sources dried up, presumably because all the donors realised what GFSA was really up to. After that GFSA's funding was almost entirely foreign, mostly George Soros via the Open Society Foundation.

So I see the daily maverick has finally published an article on this issue. One can see which side their bread is buttered.. But this one will be very easy to counter, we need to point out that legislation already exists to have people declared unfit and that if they can provide the proof we will help them press charges against those who have made threats against them….And guys please! Getting emotional only gives ammo to the enemy. We can only win this with calm reason and logic.

User

Hi everyone,

I just need to clarify, will the new amendment bill ban handguns?

The way I understand the draft, they are implying that handguns will be banned, and only hunting rifles will be allowed?

Also, can we be confident that current handgun licences still remain valid for the remaining 10 years of validity? Is that a guarantee?

And one more important question, by when will this amendment come into force, what is the average time frame for these types of amendments?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post
    Hi everyone,

The way I understand the draft, they are implying that handguns will be banned, and only hunting rifles will be allowed?

Also, can we be confident that current handgun licences still remain valid for the remaining 10 years of validity? Is that a guarantee?

And one more important question, by when will this amendment come into force, what is the average time frame for these types of amendments?
    No, self defense will no longer be a option but sport and hunting remains a way to license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post
    Hi everyone,

I know you're clarifying and asking for info, but be careful of giving the impression that this is a done deal. It is not. There's a big fight ahead, and we need to give the guys on the sharp edge all the support we can. Do not take this lying down.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I forgot to mention what some of you may have seen, Paul Oxley's announcement that there will be a march at Midrand and another in Cape Town. If he gave dates I missed them. I'll be at the Cape Town March as I was twenty years ago unless something really compelling prevents me. It is crucially important that those marches be well attended. Take a day off work and don't fail to attend because of some inconsequential reason or other. It is another way in which we can easily contribute to the fight. If they are not well attended we can be sure that government will use that against us.
    Our Gauteng/Midrand protest (not a 'march' given Covid, and the location) is on the 23rd (next Wednesday) of June, and our Cape Town march is on the 1st of July.

During the States of Emergency (the closest approximation of our current State of Disaster) in the 80s the Anti-Apartheid movement developed a concept to protest in public where even small groups were prohibited. The tactic was called a 'mill-in' and it involved groups of people wearing the same protest T-shirt milling about in shopping malls to attract attention and invite queries from the public. The Free The Children campaign did this to great effect.

We will do a mobile mill-in, in a circuit route between the Olifantsfontein offramp and the New Road offramp on the Ben Schoeman, in our vehicles/taxis, past the offices of the Chief Justice of SA, at 40km/h (legal minimum highway speed). GOSA is having non-organisation specific signage for the vehicles printed.

Should look good for the media!

We will have security, medical, and legal assistance available on-site to deal with any eventualities.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by mtaute View Post
    Yes I agree Pirate, thanks for pointing out the error in my thinking.

To say I am disappointed in SA Hunters is an understatement. I now that these mentioned above are working hard, and together.
    So I heard over the weekend that SA Hunters has come to the party with a tactic very similar to GOSA's Theme Of The Day. Excellent!

Glad to have them on board!
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    You can’t believe anything AK says in the presence of Paul. I think it’s the sexual tension at one point she even used Zimbabwe as a good example of a country where gun control works when she was doing a interview with Paul. It may be the eNCA one Paul was referring to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very funny.

No the admission to having private security was on ETV or eNCA during a 'panel discussion'... the Zimbabwe comment was on Eusebius McKaiser's show on 702.
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast