Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CFR is a mess

User

Default CFR is a mess

Applications at CFR

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Default Re: CFR is a mess

But aren't all the details captured online and those could potentially just be the hard copies?

User

The information on the SAPS271 might be captured onto the system, but I doubt that the motivation details are captured (and it is on the motivation portion that the verdict falls).
    Methinks the hardcopy application runs through the channel, and the system capturing is just a clerical data-capture exercise.

What I have however been wondering is about the role of the PROVINCIAL DFO (where the application usually sits for longer than at CFR itself).

LOCAL DFO: Accept application. Take fingerprint. Make sure SAPS271 is completed correctly and that motivation is signed and all required attachments attached, etc. Also checks the firearm details on system to make sure all in order with it. Usually takes 1-3 weeks and then sent off to PROVINCIAL DFO.

PROVINCIAL DFO: Only function appears to be a nodal point to collect the applications and send it through to CFR. No inputs/value added and not even a space on SAPS271 to write a comment or make a note. Sometimes sits there for up to 10 weeks.

CFR: At CFR they do the criminal record check (because SAPS don't have a system where it links fingerprint taken by LOCAL DFO to biometrics on Home Affairs to make sure it is you, and to lookup function where someone can punch in ID number and/or names to see if there is a criminal record?), prepare the application for consideration (not sure what this step entails since the full paper trail/document pack is there) and then it goes in for consideration and approved/declined.

From my experience the two "time eaters" are the PROVINCIAL DFO (which is a step that might be eliminated altogether?) and the CRC (which I have no idea why it should take so long to determine if someone has a criminal record or not?).

The backlog and chaos at CFR is caused by an ineffective process in my opinion where the same thing is checked and re-checked (with no value added), a culture of not being held accountable for the specified timeines/deadlines for the job for which a salary is being paid and no desire to actually change anything to become more effective.

User

Default CFR is a mess

It may be that things should be online, but I don’t see any computer terminals in those photo’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It may be that things should be online, but I don’t see any computer terminals in those photo’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They through the computers out to make space for all the applications

Sent from my Nokia C1 using Tapatalk

At least those amnesty applications (as labeled on the walls) are packed nicely in the pictures.
    But what's it look like where the firearms are being held for those applications ?

User

Let's hope these have all been processed and they are just storing it there...

As per my understanding the applications must be checked at provincial for any errors or missed signatures, photos and stuff like that. All incomplete applications must not go further than provincial and must be sent back to the local DFO. Note this is just my understanding of the process.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Eben Wiid View Post
    As per my understanding the applications must be checked at provincial for any errors or missed signatures, photos and stuff like that. All incomplete applications must not go further than provincial and must be sent back to the local DFO. Note this is just my understanding of the process.

This is checked at DFO level. they eat into the time of the process for no reason.

User

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gover...ss-photos.html

South Africa’s Central Firearms Registry (CFR) needs to move into the twenty first century with urgency and take the entire firearms application process online.
    This is the view of the DA’s Shadow Minister of Police, Andrew Whitfield who was commenting on the state of the CFR.
    He said during an oversight visit by Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Police to the CFR this weekend, it became clear that it is dysfunctional and cannot fulfil its mandate.
    What they have seen confirmed photos posted on social media about the dire state of the CFR, which include:

• Files piled up in corridors on every floor due to a lack of space.
    • The poor use of IT systems.
    • Staff shortages.
    • A building which has been declared unsafe.

“These are all contributing factors to the chaos we saw at the CFR. Staff morale is at an all-time low under these conditions resulting in rock bottom levels of productivity,” Whitfield said.
    “During the oversight I challenged the SAPS to take the entire process online from application to approval.”
    “This would remove unnecessary delays and ensure a fully digitised system which applicants could access to monitor the progress of their application.”

It was revealed by SAPS that amnesty applications are placed on top of one another on the floor as they arrive.

This results in amnesty applications submitted at the beginning of an amnesty sitting at the bottom of thousands of pieces of paper.
    “Therefore, if you were one of the first amnesty applicants, your application is likely to be one of the last to be processed,” he said.
    In February 2021, SAPS presented to the Portfolio Committee that only 4%, or 2,059, of the 50,962 applications received during the 2019/20 amnesty had been finalised.

For applications received during the 2020/21 amnesty just 0.92%, or 280, of the 30,356 had been finalised.
    “Thousands of South Africans waiting for their firearm licences are left vulnerable by the failures of the CFR. This is unacceptable,” Whitfield said.
    The DA will now write to the Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Police to request the CFR to present its turnaround plan to Parliament as a matter of urgency.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast