Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best all rounder rifle?

I would suggest a 308.

Ammo is reasonably priced, plenty of firearm manufacturer options for the calibre and covers the whole range of Animals you would like to hunt.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wors75 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, just to add a bit more of context as to why I am asking all rounder. 90% of my hunting takes place in the bush, rather than in the open like karoo etc. So basically I want a caliber that will be comfortable and not second guessing wheter it will be powerful enough to take down something like a Eland bull, assuming all shots are body shots and not head. I also understand one leads to another and you want to expand your collection of different calibers for different scenarios but as a start I want that one that sortive touch on all aspects, if that makes sense.

Thanks, been insightful so far

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    I have 5 rifles with another three being licensed currently.

In my safe at the moment is a .22LR, .223Rem, .243Win, 9.3x62 Mauser and a .357Mag lever action.

One of the new firearms is a .308Win, then I am putting the .300Win Mag I gave(loaned semi-permanently) to my father to hunt the Kalahari with back on my name and there is a .458 Lott for use on buffalo next year(hopefully).

Of all the rifles I own, the 9.3x62 has been the most versatile for bush hunting. It doesn't matter what you are shooting at or at what angle, anything this side of a buffalo is toast if you do your part and get the round into the vitals.

Many of the soft skin animals still have large, thick bones you may need to break through to get to the vitals on a quartering shot and the 9.3 when loaded with premium bullets like the Swift A-Frame gives incredible penetration with 100% reliable expansion and mostly 99% weight retention. As far as recoil goes, its akin to a 30-06 loaded with 200gr bullets or a 300 win mag loaded with 180gr bullets but nowhere near as violent as the 375H&H. Loaded with 286gr bullets, velocity is in the region of 2350-2400FPS, perfect for both good penetration as well as minimal meat damage. As a bonus the cartridge fits into a standard length action so you don't need the extra length and weight of a magnum action.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Hello Wors. If you don’t reload cost comes into play big time. 20 rounds of 375H&H can cost between R1000-2200, where you will be paying anything from 500-1200 for a box of 20, 30 caliber ammunition. That being said whatever you get save your brass as you might end up reloading. Shy away from the faster calibers (300WM, 243, 270 etc) as you will be taking shots at sub 150m and the bruising will be heavy. If the majority of the time your quarry ranged from Impala to Wildebeeste the 308, 30-06, 303, 7x57, 8x57 etc will all serve you well.

My advice would be to settle on a premium, heavy (180gr +), bullet and use it for everything - don’t muck about with light bullets on small game and heavy Bullets on big game. In the bushveld setting Bullets that are heavy and “slow” are king, they will smash through heavy bone, they will penetrate deeper and your meat damage will be less than the lighter Bullets traveling at the speed of white light.

On the occasion you might want to shoot an eland in the bush you will be comfortable with your rifle & ammo choice, or your would have done what most hunters have done and already got another “better suited” rifle 😬
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

The title is a bit misleading, when you need something that will do one aspect 90% of the time, you do not need nor want an all-rounder, you get something for that purpose.
    So what you want is a bushveld rifle.

Now you consider what you’ve always hunted, if it’s eland each year then I’d go big, but bull eland are so freaking big most hunters simply don’t hunt them regularly, or at all, they become that once in a lifetime animal.
    So I would base my criteria around that, there is simply no need to get a shoulder kicker if you hunt the normal things like rooibok, wildebeest or pigs, then the 308 is what you want.
    If you hunt eland regularly then get a medium big gun, 9.3 etc, simple as that.

A rifle is a tool, first you select the job and then you select the appropriate tool.
    From what I know about the average hunter, the type of animals they hunt each year, then for 99% of folk a 7x57 or 308 with premium bullets will do just fine, it’s enough gun.

The 30-06 pretty much does it all. Even get 220 grain bullets. No other caliber is as cheap or easily available as 30 cal bullets.

User

I did this exercise for myself 2 years back. Shot a few rifles and spoke to as many fellow shooters as possible. My father has a 308, so for that reason i excluded the 308.

My choice came down to a 300WM and a 375. If you are loading, then the 375 can cover most game for you, but the cost of the rifle and the ammunition put me off. I decided on a 300WM and a few hunts down the line i can say i am very happy with my choice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wors75 View Post
    I do not reload.What's your thoughts between 30-60 vs .308 given my scenario described in a message in this thread.
    The 30-06 was designed as a military cartridge in the days when troops were preparing to take on human targets at 400m over open sights. Delivering a 180gr (?) bullet over 400m on a human sized with a low enough trajectory that the average Joe can still score a hit means that the rifle has enough recoil. This is probably one of the main reasons why the 30-06 got nicknamed "dertig-nul-kwes". It is a wonderful cartridge and can shoot a wide range of bullets, but at a cost.The 308, 7x57, 6.5x55 or similar would probably do anything you want without developing a flinch.Another thing: basically spoken, the 308, 30-06 and 300 are steps in bullet speed. The 308 stops where the 30-06 starts, and stops where the 300 starts for a given bullet weight.

User

And do yourself a favour and see how much more powder you need, to launch exactly the same bullet at the same speed. 308 W vs 3006 vs 300 WM

.375 Ruger .

250 grain monolithics @ 2700 fps without pushing it.

There was an Alaskan for sale on the forum recently. Perfect length for a bush rifle. Hogue rubber stock excellently soaks up the recoil.

Frontier Rangemaster monolithics are very cheap to practice with, for hunting Peregrine is top class.

User

You can do everything with a 30-06 that you can do with a 308, at the cost of some added recoil.

You can do most of what a 30-06 can do with a 308, with the advantage of a rifle you can shoot all day long.

If you're NOT going to reload, I'd disregard any options but the 30-06 and the 308, on the basis of easily obtainable, affordable factory ammo suitable for bushveld huting.

If you were looking to buy a new rifle, I'd just buy a fast-twist (1:10) 308 and be done with it. But maybe you only find the rifle you really like (for whatever reason) in 30-06 then there's your answer...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast