Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best all rounder rifle?

It’s to put it into context that is the problem, you will need to spend more money to drive the 30-06 and 300wsm faster, but you won’t gain anything but speed, which you don’t need in this scenario to start off with.
    Basically the only difference between a 308, a 30-06, and a 300wsm is that each one extends the effective range by 100m with the same bullet, and that is all, go check ballistic tables and you’ll see what I mean.

User

I have shot a wide variety of species in a wide variety of terrains in 8/9 provinces using my 30-06 with 180gr bullets. It is entirely possible and, in my case the 30-06 was a great allrounder. There was, however, only one eland bull amongst all the animals shot (Messor's post was quite accurate). So, I could have done all of the above with a .308 with slightly less recoil.

When you say "take down everything up to eland bulls without second guessing the calibre" you must remember that when you "take down" an eland bull with a medium calibre you will be more restricted in shot placement than when you use a big bore. With the medium bores you should be taking mainly broadside or slightly quartering away shots and avoiding the large bones. With the big bores you have the flexibility of taking angled/raking shots and breaking big bones.

So,

If you want to shoot anything up to eland bulls at bushveld ranges and take just about any angled shot at the eland then get a big bore with premium bullets.

If you want to shoot the anything up to the ODD eland bull and you want to be able to use 200/220gr/+ bullets then consider a 30-06 or 9.3. You should limit yourself to broadside or slightly quartering away shots and avoid the big shoulder bones.

If you want to shoot the anything up to the ODD eland bull and you are happy to be limited to 180gr bullets then get a .308. As with the 30-06 you should limit yourself to broadside or slightly quartering away shots and avoid the big shoulder bones.

I think the .308 is an excellent choice.

User

There is no such thing as an all-rounder... If a lot of people use this reasoning with their spouse, they probably would only have 1/2 rifles.

My 2cents and as so many have stated, get the 308/30-06. My choice would be the 308. It can do all you want and you could play around with it, ammunition available almost everywhere. If you want something with more history/nostalgy/different get a 7x64/8x57/7x57. The latter would be a push for eland though but you can use someone else's rifle for that or just do it and get 2 rifles...

Yes you can do the 375/9.3, it is probably be the best "all rounder" but if you really only hunt once a year and maybe practice 2/3 times i.e. 10 - 20 shots at a time, then you will develop a flinch, not be comfortable with the recoil and that would lead to less shooting and more wounding. However if you were someone who shot a lot, had experience etc. and for some odd reason only wanted 1 gun going forward then I would suggest the 9.3/375 range gun.

User

Just to add a bit more to the above, to show where the value of reloading really does come in: in the last scenario Dmitri describes, if you've got a 1:10 twist 308, you should be able to drive a 200gr flat-nosed expanding mono (like a Peregrine VR3 type) at around 2300fps. I'm sure any experienced PH would be comfortable with a client using that on a eland bull...

I've got a really accurate load for the 220gr PMP roundnose, at just under 2200fps, and that's properly stabilized with a 1:12 twist. Even though it's a plain cup&core, at those speeds I'm sure it'll do the job.

You don't however get those options in factory ammo. I do THINK you get up to 180gr Barnes TSX factory ammo in 308 though? With a 1:10 twist that'll comfortably back into eland territory.

And as Dmitri said, it remains all about shot placement, you have to put the bullet where it needs to go to do the job. A 308 (vs a 30-06) makes that just that little bit easier.

User

Thanks for all the replies gents has been very insightful

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Banned

.................................................. .....thats all.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wors75 View Post
    See my reply, not sure what more introduction to give

Introduction needs to be posted here as per your agreement when you joined the forum.

Introductions
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Introduction needs to be posted here as per your agreement when you joined the forum.

Introductions
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks, did post my intro

User

308. Its plain, simple and boring, but it will do everything you need to do. Treeman and Messor know what they are talking about.

If you were hunting more open plains, rather than bushveld, then a 270 or 7x64 will give you longer legs.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Wors. Most of my hunting is Bushveld hunting. Most of my hunting is done with a 30-06, because that is what I have and what I am comfortable with that I would be able to shoot ant Kudu Bull or Eland at 30 meters if that is where they are found and also the same at 300 meters if they are in an open space or on the other side mountain from the valley. A .308 should be able to do the same. At 300 meters (aagghh, the magic 300 meters....) a 30-06 will have more energy left that a .308, but I doubt that penetration would be worse. In any case at longer distances on Eland and Kudu Bulls you don't take quartering on shots and try to hit the heart through the heavy shoulder bones. You wait for a better presentation of the shot. For Zebra even more so! They are damn tough to kill.

Read up again on the 308 and 30-06 and decide for yourself which one are the one to make your heart happy. With any of them you can successfully and reliably hunt all the antelope North of Pta.

Should I have to "redo" my life, I would use the 30-06 again as my "All-rounder". But I will not shed a tear if only a 308 are available.

If you hunt more of the larger antelope and don't take long shots, a 9,3x62 is also a pleasant idea. A 9,3 definitely has more "swatting down" power than a 30-06 or .308. So does a Land Cruiser at 150 km/h. You want to destroy vital organs, not flatten your target. But those round nosed 286 grains.... mmmmmmm, cannot go wrong.

A .375 H&H are also used by some as an all rounder. Can be done. But I don't see a reason to shoot Impala, Kudu Cows, BWB and the odd Kudu Bull and Eland Bull with a .375 and have all the cost, recoil, heavy rifle, meat damage, less accurate shot placement (normally) etc. (To the .375 lovers; Yes they can be very accurate, but the average hunter will shoot better with a less accurately set up .308 rifle for instance than with an accurately set up .375)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast