Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best all rounder rifle?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I have shot both 30-06 and .308 and both excellent calibers, so I know what to expect when it comes to those calibers. The other calibre that I see comes up is the 9.3x62, from what I read I understand it's a more heavy rifle and close to a .375, correct me if I am wrong.

I am really interested in the finding out more about the 9.3 as personal opinions from anyone. Couple of questions below:

- How does the kick/recoil compare to 30-06?
    - I'll prob go for a silencer, how much does that take away from the recoil? If any?
    - Is ammunition readily available?
    - Is the calibre too heavy for shooting smaller game like impala etc?
    - Some to note is that my farthest shot will be 200m and thats really really pushing it but if in the case the opportunity arises, will the 9.3 be able to perform at that extra range?

Thanks, looking forward to your responses

W

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by wors75 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

I have shot both 30-06 and .308 and both excellent calibers, so I know what to expect when it comes to those calibers. The other calibre that I see comes up is the 9.3x62, from what I read I understand it's a more heavy rifle and close to a .375, correct me if I am wrong.

I am really interested in the finding out more about the 9.3 as personal opinions from anyone. Couple of questions below:

- About as much as a 30-06 loaded with 200-220gr bullets. Quite a bit less than the .375H&H.
    - I'll prob go for a silencer, how much does that take away from the recoil? If any?
    - A silencer will reduce recoil, shoot it without a silencer first, it really isn't that bad. Also, zero the rifle from a bench and then shoot it from sticks and field positions.
    - Yes, I have never had a problem getting ammo. Norma, Hornady, Sellior & Bellot and PMP readily available.
    - No, the moderate velocity causes minimal meat damage on any animal. It will however always exit on smaller animals shot broad side.
    - Some to note is that my farthest shot will be 200m and thats really really pushing it but if in the case the opportunity arises, will the 9.3 be able to perform at that extra range?- 200M should not be a problem. If you set your scope 2.4" high at 100M the maximum point blank range for a 5" vital area is 200M i.e. you can aim for the vital area on an animal standing 0-200M from you and the bullet will hit the vitals. This is with a 286gr bullet exiting the barrel at 2400FPS.

Thanks, looking forward to your responses

W

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Please see above. I have hunted over 50 animals with my 9.3, from young warthog to zebra in size.

Quote Originally Posted by wors75 View Post
    - Some to note is that my farthest shot will be 200m and thats really really pushing it but if in the case the opportunity arises, will the 9.3 be able to perform at that extra range?
    I have been using a 9.3x62 for 18 months as a general purpose hunting rifle and have taken 130 animals, ranging in size from jackal to eland with it. Provided that you learn the trajectory of your load and keep your shots within 300 metres it makes an excellent all-rounder.

-Recoil is considerably heavier than a .30-'06 (or even a .300 win mag) of similar weight, with similar stock design.
    -My 9.3x62 is not threaded for a silencer but judging from other calibers, I have used with and without silencers, there will be a considerable reduction in recoil.
    -I handload for mine, so I am not sure. Reloading components are available.
    -I have shot game ranging from duiker to eland with mine without ever having felt over-gunned or under-gunned. Meat damage on the smaller antelope is acceptable.
    -Provided you know the trajectory of the load you are using, the 9.3x62 will do very well out to 300m. I have shot several antelope out to 300m using the 250gr Hornady GMX bullet at 2480fps.

User

User

Dammit!

In post #3 I thought I gave the correct answer. With testimony in about the 9.3, I'm questioning my own opinion.

To 9.3 or not, that is the question.

Just go look at the cost of 9.3 bullets. Weigh this against your bank balance and how often you intend to shoot. Nobody would argue that the 9.3 is not an excellent calibre.

User

7x64 is on average R28, and 9.3 average R41 per (retailed) cartridge.

At 150 shots per year it means no discernible difference? 4200 vs 6200. (Een kwesbok kos R5 000.00.)

(I'm not really considering a 9.3 for its allroundedness. The .308 skops its gat iro recoil, and what that recoil can bring home in terms of vleis.)

Somewhere between a 6.5 Creedmoor and .300Win Mag would cover most 'all rounders' (excluding thick skin DG). Practically speaking .30-06 .308 .270Win 7x64 7x57 7mm-08 8x57 will do what you need to do with most species, at the ranges at which most people should be thinking of shooting animals.

User

The a) .222 to 6mm and the b) .416 and beyond are not allrounders. (Of course you can shoot a rooibok with it.)

For the rest, the .308 is in the middle, and outclasses the 6.5 family in efficiancy under 300m.

(A magnum is only required if you really don't know what you are doing.) (Shots fired! SHOTS FIRED! TAKE COVER!)

User

Me, personally, if you want to own a 9.3 then you might as well get a 338 WM, it does the same but is better in every way.

It shoots the same bullet weights, you can shoot it at the same velocity, it’s got better BC’s and SD’s, meaning it does the same job in the bush but is better on the plains for large game, like eland and BWB.
    Bullets are avail from 165gr to 300gr, much more readily avail than 9.3
    You fit a good suppressor and recoil slots in between a 308 and 30-06.

I think it’s probably the most versatile medium bore out there, barring dangerous game it does everything extremely well, and is enough gun for any occasion.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast