Default MechTech's Carbine Conversion Unit

Has anyone tested MechTech's CCU. https://mechtechsys.com/

Only uses the pistol's frame and you put aside the slide, barrel and spring.
    Unlike the Roni it seems like it will increase the range significantly.

Anyone know if they are available in SA?

User

Default Re: MechTech's Carbine Conversion Unit

Basically, it is a semi-automatic rifle without the trigger, grip and magazine.

Seeing as it has it's own barrel, you would probably have to license it on its own as a seperate rifle. If anyone with any brains at the CFR sees it, they would probably require it to be licensed as a self-loading rifle.

Well that sucks. Americans have all the nice toys.

User

But I think that will come with a new license for that barrel. To go through all that effort in SA, I think a dedicated pcc rifle will be my option. But now the question will be: as what will it be imported?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    But I think that will come with a new license for that barrel. To go through all that effort in SA, I think a dedicated pcc rifle will be my option. But now the question will be: as what will it be imported?
    Yeah if it requires licensing as a SLR in SA then a PCC would make much more sense, as it's not that cheap either.

User

This is made for the US market where the lower is the licensed/ registered part and you can buy uppers and barrels off the shelf. Different laws here make it problematic

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

As a South African I think the idea sucks. Why on earth do a company want to sell everything except a "grip and trigger"?

Barrels are licensed in RSA, so this is a separate firearm license, for a firearm you cannot use except if you have the rest of it that you will probably only have if you have a license for the firearm where the spares (components) needed are coming from.

Get a complete PCC.

User

We were looking into a similar concept, but one using a pistol with a chassis, i.e. the SIG P320 and Beretta APX. That way you could overcome the shortcomings of other chassis kits where you get don't get that solidity. This design would include a new "lower" for the chassis and magazine to fit into as well as an upper that would change the mechanism from a tilting barrel to a direct blowback. That would necessitate a new bolt and a frame that would lock the barrel in place and address the concern of feeding the rounds reliably. You would essentially make a Micro Uzi equivalent.

It didn't make it beyond the concept stage because it didn't offer enough vs the cost of manufacturing and the size of the market.

The most polished version of something like this - in my opinion - is the P17 chassis for the SIG P320.

User

Sounds like half of a modern interpretation of a Unique model L

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/un...odel-l.732594/