Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Advice for a youngster

Hi All, I've been on forums for a majority of my life and always had good experiences,
    I am in need of some advice / reality check.

I'm 21 (still studying) and have a love for mechanical things and precision - started Air rifle shooting competitively at age 14 with little support from the family. The love for guns I had from a young age, I was always fascinated with them. I seek the thrill in that better grouping, that higher score, tinkering with the mechanics and finding the optimum etc.

After attending World champs for FT in 2018 that all reached a peak, and returning to regional level didn't have that "kick" anymore, I didn't have the urge to shoot for around 3 years due to studies and other constraints. I have 3 high spec air rifles sitting at home collecting dust. Recently I got the urge to shoot again but that "thrill" I always got wasn't there. Personally, and for a longer time now, I think I have "outgrown" the air rifle scene, or more exactly the Field target side.

Yes there are other disciplines and newer tech, but I don't see the point in buying a R45k FX impact to see if i like it..

The cross roads I'm at currently: I want to get into Firearms. I just don't know which sport/division . PRS Looks amazing and I would love that, but one day when I'm big and have a job.

scenario:

I'm currently final year undergrad and want to do Honors + Masters, Job wise will probably be mining based.
    I have a flat at university but stay on our farm on the weekends mostly - also very active with the farmwatch and CPF

So what to get:
    Pistol - Looking at the CZ P07 / 9
    -> can't EDC it on campus
    -> fairly cheap investment
    -> can be used for a variety of divisions based on limited research
    -> can be carried concealed as SD on FW activities

CZ scorpion - Personally my favorite - just love everything about it
    -> to my understanding a pistol? Please advise on that and how it would be licensed?
    -> Sport applications? what divisions can it be used for?

So the questions I have other than the above the above ones:
    1 - The realistic process of getting my 1st FA, Time wise what I am looking at from application till I can attend my 1st range session? (I know there are many threads on this already but I'm rather lost)
    2- Where can I find a detailed and relevant informative guide that details the above process? - i found gun shops just wanna sell something before they give advice.
    3- Sport wise in the cape, what is there?
    4 - What would you suggest in my situation? , sell all my Airrfles (once the market is okay again to sell) and see what i can do with that lump sum?

I'm just scared of that long wait and hassles associated with FA's and that it takes the thrill out of it for me before I even start. Also I don't know what the future holds job wise and if I'm staying in the country. Also my family isn't exactly pro gun..

Currently my thought process is leaning towards:
    -Get the process started - get my competencies
    -Visit some ranges and events to see what I like and to talk to people to get a better understanding. (Once exams are over)
    -Then venture into FA's once I'm on my own feet - so not studying and have a job etc.

Keen to hear what the community has to say:)

User

Default Re: Advice for a youngster

I did 3p in high school. It gets boring especially focusing on 1 specific thing.
    Get the p07 and come do IPSC im sure youll enjoy it more and that competition spark will be relit.

Banned

Do your competencies asap. My last application took 8 months.

You can use a bought firearm at a range, IF the range is at the store, or if the gun shop owner is willing to bring it to the range and have you use it under his supervision.

Contact Kraaifontein in Cape Town. They have a good name to help noobs. Start visiting club shoots to get the hang of things, then participate.

User

To me, it also sounds like you should discover IPSC...

User

Brothers Arms in Pretoria has a Howa 1500 in 6.5Creedmoor with a heavy barrel for R7,999 on sale now. Doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get into PRS.

User

Do all 4 competencies straight away. Go to False Bay Sport Shooting club and go see all the disciplines, go speak to Keith Biermann at the shooting Academy about all aspects of licensing and if you purchase from them you can use at the range while you do the long wait. I also agree IPSC is where you will find a home for your competitive spirit.

User

The thrill of IPSC is very very high, you should get the PO7 and start.

The CZ Scorpion needs to be licensed as a semi auto rifle/ pistol caliber carbine, you can use it in IPSC too.

Sell your air rifles and get your first pistol for Self defense, and use it for sport (IPSC) you should get the scorpion after playing the game for a while because something else might interest you after a few matches, something cheaper or different

Banned

What can you get for your current three air rifles?

For R30 000, you could get at least a pistol and shotgun for sport shooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    What can you get for your current three air rifles?

For R30 000, you could get at least a pistol and shotgun for sport shooting.
    Keep at least one of your air rifles in a few years you will need it and find that due to costs it is impossible
    to replace.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Gerstner View Post
    Do all 4 competencies straight away. Go to False Bay Sport Shooting club and go see all the disciplines, go speak to Keith Biermann at the shooting Academy about all aspects of licensing and if you purchase from them you can use at the range while you do the long wait. I also agree IPSC is where you will find a home for your competitive spirit.
    Good heavens, you're alive???!

To the OP: Agreed with the IPSC sentiments. Why not look at a P10C instead, if you're set on CZ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast