Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Should you catch an ejected round?

I don't know how your pistols work, but mine I have to pull back on the slide pretty snappy to make sure the round flies high enough. There is no way in hell that the extractor can contact the primer. Makes it easy to catch.

To add to that, there is no way on my pistol that the extractor can contact the primer even when I try. Personally, I think that it could be a design flaw if that is possible. It should be safe to unload a pistol. There should be no chance of it going bang without pulling the trigger.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    I don't know how your pistols work, but mine I have to pull back on the slide pretty snappy to make sure the round flies high enough. There is no way in hell that the extractor can contact the primer. Makes it easy to catch.

To add to that, there is no way on my pistol that the extractor can contact the primer even when I try. Personally, I think that it could be a design flaw if that is possible. It should be safe to unload a pistol. There should be no chance of it going bang without pulling the trigger.
    Ejector... Not extractor. The metal sharp bit pointing towards the round, normally mounted to the frame. Extractor is the claw shaped bit that pulls the casing back, normally connected to the slide.

They are referring to the process of putting your hand over the ejection port and racking the slide back to get the live round into your hand. It is possible for your hand to push the the round back into the ejection port and capture it between the the slide in such a way that the primer gets activated by the ejector.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

If you need to clear the weapon. Control the muzzle; remove the mag, eject the round and let it fall.

It is just that simple. Don't be a clown.

User

So slightly off topic but very relevant.

There was this very competent high hour R44 pilot that flew his family out to his home on the banks of the Vaal dam frequently.

He used to land on a nicely designated spot close to his front door. Did it many many times and had no issue. Last week he slipped up and now they are burying him and his sister today. Nobody is perfect and accidents happen daily.

It only takes one small slip up to spoil your day.

I used to cup the ejection port but don’t do it anymore. Bending down and picking up a round is far less of an inconvenience than going through life with a permanently damaged hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

IKOR posted a very comprehensive explanation about the dangers of doing this and it is an excellent read.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

At my very first match I saw the guy right before me catch it, and because his eyes followed the round, he didn't noticed that he crossed the line. For that reason I've always just let it fall. For me that's the safest way. But, unto each his own. Catching it does look cool though

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by krieger View Post
    If you need to clear the weapon. Control the muzzle; remove the mag, eject the round and let it fall.

It is just that simple. Don't be a clown.
    This^^^

And once, many many moons ago, got the skin between thumb and fore finger caught in the ejector port when the slide slipped from my grasp. Eina is all i can say.

I let it fall on a surface not too far. If I'm clearing from higher, 'catch' the round first on my shoe, so it doesn't hit the ground full impact. Don't think it makes any difference though.

User
    In the middle of two mountains, between two oceans.

From another forum on same topic.
    "What makes it "unsafe" is the idea that you are turning the gun sideways to eject the round into the air. When the gun is sideways, the ejector is below the round. If the round slips off the extractor and gets pulled down into the ejector, the end of it could strike the primer and bad things happen..."

I think the cupping the slide thing was made famous by Rob Leatham, he does it all the time, so if one of the worlds top shooters does it, then surely it must be safe.
    I disagree, i just rack the slide and let the round fall, fly or SO catch it, my focus is on getting the firearm in a safe condition and back into the holster, ive got plenty more rounds in the bag for the match.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3