Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Should I Get A Replacement Vortex Scope?

So I've had this Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 AO for ages now but it has seen no actual field work, just fired some rounds of when I got the gun mounted but nothing else.

I tried to sight it in today and both the windage and elevation both bottom out. I have just managed to get it about on target at 10m but it is at it's maximum and will go no further down or to the right. Not sure what will happen when I try and sight it in at 100m if I have no more room to move.

The scope is in perfect condition and has just been sitting in the safe.

User

Default Re: Should I Get A Replacement Vortex Scope?

What rifle/ring/base combo? It would be strange to not have enough adjustment to be able to zero on 100m. Was your 10m zero shooting, or just looking down the bore?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    What rifle/ring/base combo? It would be strange to not have enough adjustment to be able to zero on 100m. Was your 10m zero shooting, or just looking down the bore?
    I believe they are Thor mounts which I bought ages ago.
    Nope, just bore sighting, don't think my neighbour would appreciate me sighting in with live rounds!

I bought it second hand and I have a feeling that that is why the person sold it, could be a lemon....

User

Sounds to me like an alignment issue on your mounting system. Are the mounts the stud type mountson which the ring grips with two set screws? If so, your alignment is out and by quite a lot. I would first fix the alignment with the set screws. Alternative is to take it to a gunsmith that can align the rings and then lap them as well.

User

Thor mounts are windage adjustable, but take a bit of effort.

From and rear rings should have Left and Right sided screws holding the rings on the stud bases. Try to center all of these screws. Turn your scope to its optical zero( middle of windage and elevation adjustment ranges. Boresight at 50-100m if possible. Adjust rear ring screws to zero your windage. You should be able to then use scope's elevation turret adjustment to zero elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Sounds to me like an alignment issue on your mounting system. Are the mounts the stud type mountson which the ring grips with two set screws? If so, your alignment is out and by quite a lot. I would first fix the alignment with the set screws. Alternative is to take it to a gunsmith that can align the rings and then lap them as well.
    Yes, that is the mount. I had it mounted by City Guns so I assumed they knew what they were doing.

What kind of clearance should the front lens have? As it could be lowered a bit with shorter mounts which would solve the elevation issue but not the windage.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Yes, that is the mount. I had it mounted by City Guns so I assumed they knew what they were doing.

What kind of clearance should the front lens have? As it could be lowered a bit with shorter mounts which would solve the elevation issue but not the windage.
    Unfortunately, I have seen many scopes mounted by gun shops that are totally misaligned. 10m in my opinion is too short to accurately boresight, especially elevation. Try it at longer distance first before you get new mounts.

User

Vortex have an amazing warranty, should the scope be defective.

User

Boresight at 25m

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Unfortunately, I have seen many scopes mounted by gun shops that are totally misaligned. 10m in my opinion is too short to accurately boresight, especially elevation. Try it at longer distance first before you get new mounts.
    Thanks, what are the best quality mounts to get for a Vortex scope?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast