Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Should I Get A Replacement Vortex Scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Boresight at 25m
    Would do but may back garden isn't that big :) will have to head out to the range.

User

What rifle make and caliber?

User

Try for a scope alignment / setting tool through those that you know.
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, the windage "error" can be adjusted and remedied with the rings to base and the 2 stud mounting screws.

Keep in mind that bore sighting at 10m would need to have the crosshairs elevation set higher (around 25mm plus) depending on the height of the scopes lens centre point in relation to the bore centre.
    The scope rings height and base mounts all come into play.

A measurement from the bore's centre to scope centre is a starting point even if only a close rough measurement for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    What rifle make and caliber?
    It's a Howa 1500 in .308.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Thanks, what are the best quality mounts to get for a Vortex scope?
    For what rifle?

There is nothing wrong with stud-type (Thor/Lynx etc) mounts. I prefer picatinny rails with top half rings, many good ones around-Vortex/Nightforce/MDT/Leupold/Warne Mountain tech etc. (not "clam shell" type rings such as Warne Maxima!)

User

If no scope alignment tool is available, a temporary solution is to remove the bolt, project your cleaning rod from the barrel end into the chamber protruding through until it is visible.

There will obviously be a little vertical play with the rod at the chamber end.
    Take a series of measurements:
    one of the cleaning rod diameter.
    one of the scopes tube diameter.
    the distance from the top of the cleaning rod to the underside of the scope tube with the rod in the vertical plane lower position and another of the rod in the raised position.

With those dimensions or measurements you can reverse engineer the exact (well almost exact but close enough) offset of the scopes centre point to the bores centre point.
    This is a starting point which will assist with your setting the POI versus POA at your available 10m.

Keep in mind that a scope set and sighted at 200m will have a higher POI at 100m and also at 10m.
    Try finding a trajectory path of the calibre and ammo weight you have in hand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    It's a Howa 1500 in .308.
    Okay, your ocular bell will need a minimum of 2 to 3mm of clearance from the barrel.

There are plenty of mounting systems available for the Howas. Everything from stud bases and rings to picatinny rails and all in between. I wouldn't buy anything new immediately, first see if you can't fix the alignment on your current setup.

Thanks for the help guys will see what I can sort out myself.

User

At a very high level try this at the range (you will need a second person):

1. Remove the top halves of the rings
    2. Feel how tight the scope tube sits in the bottom halves (by the sounds of it, that scope is unlikely to move and is taking strain from being misaligned, which could damage the internals), but don't force movement on it (you don't want to damage your tube).
    3. Unscrew the windage adjustment screws so that the bases can move a bit on the studs. Make sure you are unscrewing them so as not to place anymore strain on the tube.
    4. Now boresight your scope at around 50m (return your reticle to the middle of the adjustment ranges before boresighting)
    5. Once boresighted, the second person needs to press down on the scope and keep it in place while you tighten the windage screws onto the studs and fix the bottom rings in the correct place.
    6. While keeping the pressure now fit the top halves again.

There are off course scope/ring alignment bars that you can buy, but for the average oke who fits only one or two scopes in a lifetime, it isn't worth the expense.

Just apply common sense and put as little as possible strain on the scope tube.

Thank you, much appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast