Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Buy gun before doing competency law?

A friend recently told me his competency instructor said him he must buy a gun before he can start his competency training and now the same pops up on the MyBroadBand article.

The journalist had someone who helped him because he is neither ill informed or completely correct but I did my competencies back in 2010, as most of you did, so I was just wondering if this is one of those things everyone knows except me.

I know if is not said explicitly but to a person who reads this and does not know better it will appear as such.
    Before you can apply for your licence at a police station, you will need to purchase your firearm of choice to get details such as the type, calibre, and serial number, which will be required when filling out the licence forms.

This will be kept by the gunsmith until you have acquired your licence, however.

The next step from here is to undergo basic firearms competency training at an institution accredited by the Professional Firearm Training Council.
    https://mybroadband.co.za/news/secur...rce=newsletter

Default Re: Buy gun before doing competency law?

i guess you could buy the firearm at any time but you won't be allowed to take it home until you've done the competency and then applied for the license. Usually you do the competency first then buy the firearm to get the details and apply for your license. If you buy the firearm first you're just going to have to pay storage fees at a gun shop for a much longer time. At the moment the competency and license processes will probably take you about 18 months in total

Unless what they mean by the term competency is just basic training, which is not the same as applying for your competency license which is different

That doesn't make sense, surely you should be able to apply for competency before buying a firearm, otherwise if you are denied then you sit with the firearm.

If you are applying for a licence, then yes, you need to buy a firearm before doing so.

User

For the sake of clarity and consistency, let's clarify terminology and lingo:

One undergoes training at a private service provider, who issues proficiency certificates once a person is deemed proficient, hence the term 'proficiency training'.

Thereafter, one applies through SAPS to be deemed competent, which means one is deemed "fit and proper" to own a firearm, and only SAPS issues competency certificates.

Thereafter, one may go and purchase a firearm, the specifics of which are included in the licence application.

Technically, there is no such thing as 'competency training' in this framework - it causes chaos that providers use that term for what they should call 'proficiency training' - people complete so-called competency training at a provider and trundle off to the police station only to get told, "those are not competency certificates, only we issue competency certificates".

User

You could buy a firearm without doing proficiency or applying for competency.
    And never apply for a license either under current act.
    I mean I can transfer funds now buy one online and gift it to a friend 6 months later.
    It's silly and you can.
    You cannot take it though til you have successfully gone through the licence program

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    i guess you could buy the firearm at any time but you won't be allowed to take it home until you've done the competency and then applied for the license. Usually you do the competency first then buy the firearm to get the details and apply for your license. If you buy the firearm first you're just going to have to pay storage fees at a gun shop for a much longer time. At the moment the competency and license processes will probably take you about 18 months in total

Unless what they mean by the term competency is just basic training, which is not the same as applying for your competency license which is different
    Wait. How do you mean pay storage fees at dealer. Is this when buying second hand having it stored at dealer. Because surely if you buy direct from dealer they wont charge you storage.

nice JHBBOY and DT Urges. that's the process I was trying to explain.

Shooty - if you buy from a dealer they probably won't be charged you storage although some might charge if it takes too long. If you buy secondhand and have to storage it at a dealer until you get a license then you'll definitely pay fees

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Wait. How do you mean pay storage fees at dealer. Is this when buying second hand having it stored at dealer. Because surely if you buy direct from dealer they wont charge you storage.
    Some dont charge, some at 6 months some at 12 start charging I have seen fees at R200 a month. Always check fine print

Quote Originally Posted by DstUrges View Post
    Some dont charge, some at 6 months some at 12 start charging I have seen fees at R200 a month. Always check fine print
    Wait so the dealer charges a fee for the fact the SAPS delays your app?

That crazy in my opinion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Wait so the dealer charges a fee for the fact the SAPS delays your app?

That crazy in my opinion.
    But I know of a couple people who hasn't started with the license applications after 5 years. I can understand where the dealers are coming from but some dealers clearly see there is money to be made. But I understand that if 50% of your safe's space is taken up by guns which you aren't making money out of and then the schlep of having it on your books for the Saps to come inspect at will.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast